TheBanyanTree: NaNoWriMo

Dee Churchill deechurchill at gmail.com
Sun Nov 4 07:35:24 PST 2007

On 11/4/07, Rob McMonigal wrote:

> I've been failing NanoWriMo for 5 years now. :)

You haven't "failed," Rob -- you have simply been  "victory challenged."
(smile)

This year, 770 words and no real desire to keep moving.  I have
> written little to nothing all year, and I think my days of spinning
> fiction may be over.

There's no rule that says you can't climb on board another horse before you
get across the stream. Since this is a first draft, you don't even have to
lose the word count you've already attained. Just start typing, "This isn't
working but, on the other hand, what if ..." and keep on going. And if
*that* doesn't work out, do it again with another "what if." That's what
first drafts are all about -- brainstorming in print. In fact, maybe you
could even consider not doing fiction at all. How about some kind of memoir
or humorous essay? Funny stories and anecdotes from your family and friends?
Skim the forums -- there may be some trigger there to send you along a
promising path.

In any case, good ON you for giving it a shot each year.

Hugs, Dee ...