TheBanyanTree: NaNoWriMo

Dave dseaman at prairienet.org
Sun Nov 4 08:20:57 PST 2007

This is my second NANO since joining the local writing group here in town.
They are big into NANO and goaded me into it last year. I succomed to
pressure and signed up the last day of October. One of the ladies agreed to
shoot for 25000 if I would join with her. Well I ended up being the first to
break 50000 in our region and ended at 65000. We had three others finish
succesfuly to. One guy who only has one hand.

I think what helps me is friendly competition. And that we all meet to work
on our NANO projects together throuout the month. Yesterday there were
thirteen of us in the cafe up the road typing away. After two iced red-eyes
I had broken 10000 words. I'm trailing today in second place. But this
morning I upped the ante to 13091 words. My name is dseaman on the NANO
site.

It's all in the ability to just go turbo without a care for spelling or
grammer. I know woman who has won four years in a row. Revised one novel and
actually got an agent interested. Then she balked out of fear of submiting
the chapters. So she made me a deal that if I NANO this year she would
submit three chapters. She went with a friend of mine to the post office who
even took pictures so I'd have proof. So we are off and running again. On
young guy who competed with me last year is at school in another region now,
but that didn't stop him from throwing down on the NANO forum! :)

Bonnie knows so many people who do the NANO every year and are sitting on
four or seven unrivised novels that she forced me to have a readable
revision before I could do it this year. So I got that finished and printed
it out for her on October 30th. I took pieces and character from that story
and put together a short story earlier this year that I got published on an
online literary journal. It was just accepted for print the other day also
but had to be refused because it was previously published.

Type as hard as you can and write as much crap as you want. Eventually the
flow starts and pieces of true writng come out. That's when the story falls
into place.

Dave