TheBanyanTree: Recipes

Sharon Mack smack58 at nycap.rr.com
Sun Nov 11 06:18:39 PST 2007

I sent these to my daughter, so they were already in an email.  Didn't know
if you all would be interested or not, so I thought I'd send them along.
If not, just delete, delete, delete!

JEWISH APPLE CAKE

6-8 apples--peeled, cored and sliced thin

2-3 teaspoons cinnamon

3-4 tablespoons sugar (more if they are a tart apple)

Put above in a small bowl, mix to coat apples and set aside.

3 cups sifted flour

2 ½ cups sugar

4 eggs

½ teaspoon salt

⅓ cup orange juice

2½ teaspoons vanilla

1 cup oil

Beat on medium speed until smooth.  Grease and flour tube pan.  Spread a
layer of half of the batter and then ⅔ of the apples; then cover with the
rest of the batter.  Top with remaining apples.

Bake one hour and 10-20 minutes in 350° oven.  Let cool.  Loosen edges,
flip onto board and then onto serving plate.

Here's a bonus that I love:

BLACK VELVET POUND CAKE

2 cups finely chopped nuts (pecans or walnuts)

1 cup seedless raisins

1 cup Black Velvet Canadian Whisky or Reserve

2 cups soft butter (the real thing baby!)

2 cups sugar

1 teaspoon vanilla

8 eggs (I know it's a lot but it's worth it!  Trust me on this)

3 ½ cups flour

1 ½ teaspoons baking powder

½ teaspoon salt

½ teaspoon nutmeg

½ teaspoon cinnamon

¼ teaspoon allspice

¼ teaspoon ground cloves

1 recipe COFFEE GLAZE (see below)

Combine nuts, raisins and ½ cup Black Velvet.  Set aside.  Thoroughly
cream butter and sugar, add vanilla.  Beat eggs until light and fluffy; add
to creamed mixture, beating until fluffy but thick. Combine remaining dry
ingredients in a separate bowl then gradually add to creamed mixture.  Fold
in nuts and raisins, including the Black Velvet.  Mix well but don't over
beat.  By hand is best.

Pour into greased 10 inch tube pan.  Bake at 350° for one-hour or until
tester comes out clean.  Cool 15 minutes in pan.  Remove from pan and cool
completely.  Using ice pick, poke a few holes (not too many as cake will be
too strong) in top of cake.  Pour remaining ½ cup Black Velvet slowly over
top of cake.  Store in airtight container for several days.

Just before serving, pour coffee glaze over cake.

COFFEE GLAZE

2 tablespoons butter

1 teaspoon instant coffee

2 tablespoons half & half or light cream

1 cup confectioners' sugar

¼ to ½ teaspoon vanilla (use real vanilla; not imitation)

Equal amount to vanilla of almond extract

Combine first 3 ingredients in a one-quart saucepan and cook, stirring
until blended.  Remove from heat and gradually beat in sugar and extracts.
Add more sugar for thicker consistency if desired.  Pour or spread over
cake allowing to drip slightly down the sides.