TheBanyanTree: Where is the Sex?

Margaret R. Kramer margaretkramer at comcast.net
Sun Nov 11 12:50:30 PST 2007

Ray wanted to know if there was sex in my so far 20, 000+ word epic. Well,
the main character is an eighth grade girl, so there isn't a lot of
bah-bah-bah-boom. So far, there's been one sweet kiss, not even a sloppy
kiss, and a little bit of sexual build-up, but not much of anything else. No
one has even been naked yet. These kids are just getting their sea legs; I
want them to mature a bit before I throw them to the sharks.

I managed to write almost 4,000 words yesterday. I was trying to catch-up
for not writing on Friday. I was trying to write my last 1,000 words last
night, but my eight year old grandson decided to help. He actually would
type in stuff when I wasn't paying attention. I guess I'll have to give him
co-author credit. And then I got a million questions about the word count.
Well, at least, I'm learning I can write with a lot of distractions going on
around me.

It's weird writing for word count only. I have a plot and I've developed
character and setting. But I tend to forget the names of my characters and
have to go back and check or just make up new ones because of the time
crunch. I have a ton of inaccuracies. Some of my writing doesn't make any
sense. I tend to write a lot of narrative instead of dialog, because
narrative chews up more words.

But I do feel like I have something that's engaging enough to go back after
NaNoWriMo is over and redo and edit and perfect. I guess that's one of the
points of doing this exercise. Get it down and paper and fix it later.

Most of our trees are bare now. Ray and I raked the last of our backyard
leaves yesterday. Shadow caught and killed a rabbit early one morning this
week.

And that's my life.

Margaret R. Kramer
margaretkramer at comcast.net
margaret.kramer at polarispublications.com

Thanksgiving is the holiday of peace, the celebration of work and the simple
life... a true folk-festival that speaks the poetry of the turn of the
seasons, the beauty of seedtime and harvest, the ripe product of the year.
~Ray Stannard Baker