TheBanyanTree: Homework

Margaret R. Kramer margaret.kramer at polarispublications.com
Sat Nov 10 05:15:53 PST 2007

I’m at 16,384 words for NaNoWriMo.  I’ve been able to write at least 1,500 –
2,000 words each night, but last night I was too darn tired to write.

I got shot up at work yesterday for something I dropped the ball on.  I felt
like a soggy French fry when I got home.

Ray and I went grocery shopping last night, which is something I hate to do
on the best of days.  But I began pre-Thanksgiving planning and food
purchasing, so I needed all my concentration to complete this task.

Ray and I celebrated our one year anniversary yesterday.  Every day with him
is a pure joy.

My grandsons and I are going to the Children’s Museum today.  And they’re
spending the night.  I’m sure I’ll get a lot of questions about word count!

I read in Chris Blaty’s book that the second week of NaNoWriMo is a dreary
one.  The setting is set, the characters are coming to life, and now it’s
time for them to do something.  For me, that’s true.  I found my writing
slowed down a lot.  It began to feel more like homework rather than
something I enjoy doing.  I’m beating myself up this morning for not keeping
up with my quota.  I’m edgy if my planned time for writing is interrupted,
even by being exhausted.

But I love having my characters tell me what they want to do.  I still enjoy
finding out where my story is leading me.  I’m the writer, but as I write, I
’m also reading it at the same time.

Margaret R. Kramer
margaretkramer at comcast.net
margaret.kramer at polarispublications.com

Thanksgiving is the holiday of peace, the celebration of work and the simple
life... a true folk-festival that speaks the poetry of the turn of the
seasons, the beauty of seedtime and harvest, the ripe product of the year.
~Ray Stannard Baker