TheBanyanTree: lowering my emmissions

Julie Anna Teague jateague at indiana.edu
Tue May 15 11:21:09 PDT 2007

The oil companies are really bugging me.  Honestly, I've been pissed
off for enough years to do a lot of walking and biking around town, but
now I've just reached my limits and I'm trying ever-harder to break my
own personal dependence on a motorized vehicle.  Here's a couple of
exciting facts for you: ExxonMobil reported a record $9.28 billion
profit for the first quarter of 2007.  And Saudi Arabia's annual oil
revenues have gone from $98 billion in 1998 to over $200 billion today.

And that's just money.  I can barely talk about the war and how many
souls have died for our own oil-related insanity, because I step off
into the deep end without so much as a downward glance.  Democracy, oh
yeah, I gave that a shot by exercising my right to vote, but that
hasn't worked yet. In our town, and my church, we're back to holding
signs on street corners, and when a lot of people are angry, it's a
slippery slope to civil disobedience.  I've considered not paying my
taxes until we stop killing people with my money, but that's never been
a very successful tactic on the personal level.  One of my most viable
options at this point seems to be checking out, as much as possible,
from the game.

To that end, I've been catching a ride in to work with my partner Lee,
who has to take a van full of tools, else he'd be on our little scooter
that gets 80 MPG. (This has become our vehicle of choice for going out
on date nights, and we've had more fun than a barrel of monkeys.)  Then
I walk the five miles home, an arduous walk to be sure, especially
after a long day at work.  I have a decent mountain bike which I've
ridden to work in previous summers, but it has needed some repairs and
new tires, and I needed a better way of carrying stuff, like a change
of clothes for the office (I am required, at the very least, not to
smell bad), lunch, groceries I pick up on the way home, etc.  And then
there was the bad bike wreck last summer that left me anxious for a
time, but I'm pretty much over that fear and have a new un-cracked
helmet.  And as of today, a new lock, since I lost the key to my good
bike lock. (I lost my entire key chain full of keys somewhere inside my
own home.  It has never resurfaced.)  And a basket.  And I'm having new
street slicks put on on Friday so I don't have to slug along on the
nubby mountain bike tires I currently have.

I'll have my new commuter vehicle all ready to go. I'll save a lot of
wear on the treads of my shoes and even more wear on my conscience.  I
will give /them/ as little of my money as possible, and spend it on
something I believe in.

Julie