TheBanyanTree: Life Stories 219

Tobie Shapiro tobie at shpilchas.net
Tue May 15 08:55:22 PDT 2007

May 15, 200000007

Dear Hand Washers, Washers of Hands,

	We had a Mother's Day dinner at my
sister's house on Sunday.  Every year on Mother's
Day, we have the men, sons, and daughters take
over and make a dinner for the mothers.  The gift
is that we don't have to lift a finger.  The down
side is that they're usually not so great at
cooking, even though, oh yes, they try.  They do
fancy things, not what we need, but what they
expect will impress us and demonstrate their
love.   So one year it was a roast suckling pig.
One year it was Emu steaks.  One year it was a
fru fru lobster dish that unfortunately, they
didn't plan so well, and were cooked at least an
hour and a half while they tried to get the rest
of the meal ready.  This year it was venison.
After the meal, I was in the bathroom washing my
hands, just washing my hands, when a sudden
piercing pain struck my left hand, the back of
the hand, somewhere around the middle knuckle.  I
actually screamed very loudly.  I hadn't been
doing anything weird, not twisting my hand, not
banging it on something, not anything out of the
ordinary.  Just washing my hand, when BANG.  It
was like someone had put a bullet through the
back of my hand.  After I screamed, I figured
that the assembled crowd would come running to
save my life.  But no one came.  This means that
if anyone is ever in that bathroom under the
stairs and screams for help, too bad.  You're out
of luck.

	I examined the back of my hand, compared
it to my right hand.  There was swelling
accumulating on the left hand.  Later that night,
I noticed the faint beginnings of a black and
blue mark.  I swear, I did nothing unusual.  It
just happened out of thin air.  Here's the next
oddity.  I still haven't figured out what motion
of the hand to avoid.  I am typing this and am
having very little problem.  It just aches a
little.  I have lifted things, held cups in my
hand, cooked dinner, carried on as normal, and
have heard nothing from the hand but slight aches
and an occasional mild jab.  I will admit that I
am favouring this hand.  I'm scared of setting it
off.  But I don't know how I would do that.  Last
night I was flossing my teeth after dinner (does
it always have to be after dinner, maybe?) and I
triggered the searing pain again.  I let out an
ear-splitting shriek.

	No one heard me.

	So, the good news is that when you are in
the bathroom doing your business, worried that
people can hear you, don't bother running the
water in the sink.  Try screaming and seeing if
anyone comes.  If someone comes running, then you
can worry.  But bathrooms seem to be the worst
place to have a household accident.

	This morning, the thing is even more
swollen, and the discolouration is spreading.
Maybe I should bring this thing to the doctor.
And my doctor will peer at it from three
different directions, then bring out a splint to
immobilize the hand, strap me to it, and tell me
to stay off the hand.  Maybe apply ice, twenty
minutes on, twenty minutes off for a few hours.
Take Tylenol.  Except for fetching the splint
from the back room, I can do all that as well as
any doctor.

	Feh.

                                   øøøøøøøøøøøøøøøøøøøøøøøøøøøøøøøøøøøøøøøøø
                              ØØØØØØØØØØØØØØØØØØØØØØØØØØØØØØØØ

The Mad Realtor

	My realtor got angry at me because I
didn't like the house she proposed to show me.  I
had met my third husband, David, and wanted to
divest myself of the house in Richmond Annex that
I'd owned since 1973.  That was a wood frame
three bedroom bungalow on Sacramento Street to
the west of the great San Pablo Avenue, that
wide, endless street that starts out south of
downtown Oakland, goes north through Oakland,
Berkeley, Albany, El Cerrito, Richmond, San
Pablo, El Sobrante, Pinole, Hercules, Rodeo, all
the way to the Carquinez Strait.  It just keeps
going.  It's a Los Angeles street in the San
Francisco Bay Area.  Even back then, it was
plagued with strip malls, chain fast food joints,
dilapidated store fronts, a smattering of
frightening places where one could cash one's
welfare check, or get an advance loan on the
paycheck when ends didn't meet at the back side
of the month.  San Pablo divided residential
areas on its east from primarily industrial and
commercial areas to its west.

	There, in that little pocket of Richmond
Annex, there was an old fashioned homey area to
the west of San Pablo.  That is where I bought my
first house.  Or, rather, my parents bought it
for me in a transaction I didn't quite understand
then, and have since not comprehended fully.
They put $5,000 down on this $22,500 house, and
the loan was not a mortgage, but some other form
of financial arrangement.  Without doing
anything, but messing up my life, in the years
between 1973 and 1984, the value of the house had
burgeoned to $125,000.  This is what I insisted I
could sell it for.  I was sure.  Prices had
exploded in bay area real estate.  It was
considered a great stroke of luck if you'd
purchased a house back before the boom.

	My realtor also swore at me for expecting
to get that kind of money from my house.

	"Damn it!  Tobie.  You are just not going
to get that much money from your house!  Come
down to earth!"

	I didn't come down to earth, and neither
did the woman who bought the house from me for
$125,000.  Then I had to be in the market for
buying another house, closer in to Berkeley.  I
wanted to come home.  The real estate market in
Berkeley has changed since those days.  Back
then, before the internet, before cell phones,
before cognitive thought, realtors would pick you
up at your house and drive you to the prospective
property.  On the way in the car, the realtor
would talk about the house you were about to see.
My realtor had showed me about a dozen homes so
far.  All of them were not to my liking.  I'd
given her the parameters.

	Nothing on a busy street.
	At least two bedrooms.
	Nothing built after 1940
	No ranch style, in particular.
	No tract homes.
	Living room big enough for a piano.
	Formal dining room.
	Good sized kitchen with gas hook up.
	Yard not necessary.
	If there is a garden, house should be
cheap enough so that I can afford a gardener.
	Safe neighborhood.

	J.J. was a moody little wench, a couple
inches shorter than I, short cropped thick wiry
reddish brown hair.  She did not wear the
realtor's uniform.  No pants suits, no cute
little dresses with a scarf made to look as if it
were tossed spontaneously around the neck.  No
piling on of make-up and modernistic jewelry.
She wore peasant outfits: big blousey things with
crude embroidery on them, broomstick skirts, flat
shoes that bordered on being hiking boots.  She
toted an olive green pouchy handbag with a big
double balled snap on it and even though it had
only the hand strap, J.J. wore it hoisted on her
shoulder, the bag squeezing up tight into her arm
pit.  She drove safely as long as she was looking
at the road.  But more often than not, she was
straining her neck, searching out properties.
She'd point them out to me while the car veered
toward whatever she was pointing at, the steering
wheel following her finger.  It always seemed to
me that we were going to wind up driving onto
someone's lawn, or entering the property in
question through the front window, nestling
gracefully in the living room, the splintered
glass falling out of the frame onto the roof of
the car and then settling on the living room rug.
And here's the thing.  J.J. would probably get
out of the driver's side of her Toyota, urge me
to come out, too, and invite me on a house tour.
The owners of the house would remain in the
living room finishing their coffee.

	"That one sold for $100,000 three months
ago.  It's probably worth $110,000 by now."

	"That house looks good, but it's really a
dump.  The toilet in the master bathroom is going
to fall through the floor.  It's that rotten."

	"I like that house.  I've always like it.
I'd love to get a look around the interior,
wouldn't you?"  And for fear of further action,
I'd keep my mouth shut.

	I'd point out properties, too.

	"There, J.J., look at that little
Mediterranean with the two windows in the front
and the tile roof.  I like that."

	She'd say, "Those Spanish tiles are
impossible.  You're probably looking at a whole
new roof job."

	"Look, J.J., See the pink stucco village
house that looks like it could have a thatched
roof?  I like that one."

	She'd say, "The electricity and plumbing
in those old things is always ancient.  You want
to tear a house apart to install new wiring and
plumbing?  Forget it."

	She didn't like my houses, and generally,
I didn't like hers.  But J.J. didn't adjust her
tastes to her client.  She tried to alter the
client's taste.

	I liked older homes.

	"Think of the maintenance.  Don't you want something more up to date?"

	I liked Mediterraneans.

	"I think you want something with clean
lines and square windows you can replace if they
break.  You shouldn't think of them as tract
homes."

	So J.J. pulled up in front of a boxy
1950s style house, with metal framed windows, a
cement front yard and aluminum siding.  Aluminum
siding.  It was hammered into the outside of the
rectangle house, covering a cheap stucco
exterior.  There were two steps at the end of a
ten foot walk up.  The front door had a screen.
She took a breath, turned to me.  "Let's go in.
It's unoccupied.  Three bedrooms, an all electric
kitchen, dining/living area in the front.  All on
one level.  Convenient."

	I stared at her.  My mouth must have fallen open.

	"What?" she asked.

	"I don't like it."

	"You don't know that until you've gone in."

	"I can tell I won't like it.  I already don't like it."

	"But come on.  Go in and see.  You never know."

	"I know.  This is exactly what I told you
I didn't want.  Why did you even bring me here?
It's a waste of time."

	She sharpened her delivery and raised her
soothing mellow voice.  "God damn it, Tobie!
What is the matter with you?!  I looked all
through the multiple listings, and I think this
is a good house for you."

	"Don't scream at me, J.J."

	"But you're being unreasonable!  How do
you know you don't like it before you've gone
in?"  She shook herself all over like a wet dog.
"I've never had such a client!"

	I sat there in the front seat, trying to
stay calm.  I was only thirty seven.  That's not
old enough to stay calm while being yelled at.

	"I told you clearly, really carefully,
what kind of house I want, and what kind of house
I don't want.  Why do you bring me to places you
know I won't like?"

	She absorbed what I'd said, digested it
and let it move straight through her.  "I'm not
going to put up with this.  Get out of my car!"

	"But I need you to drive me back to MY car."

	"No ride.  I'm too mad!"

	"But I'm your client."

	"Not any more, you're not.  You're the
most difficult person I've ever dealt with!"

	After some begging, she agreed to drop me
off at a phone booth, so I could call a cab.  The
short drive to the phone booth was pretty chilly.
The cab driver turned out to be very nice.

--

Tobie Helene Shapiro
Berkeley, California   USA

tobie at shpilchas.net