TheBanyanTree: lowering my emmissions

Mike Pingleton pingleto at gmail.com
Tue May 15 14:34:46 PDT 2007

Julie, it adds up. You can make a difference. A bunch of people can make a
big difference.

I've been bicycle commuting for 15 years. We've had one family car for ten
years - my bike is our second car. Ten years is a nice round number and I
can plug that number into some statistics without needing a calculator.

- the average car uses 600 gallons of gas each year. In ten years I've saved
6000 gallons.  That's $12,000 if I plug in a very middle of the road figure
of 2 bucks a gallon. 12 grand plus the price of an automobile, price of
insurance, price of repair and upkeep.  Sweet!

- the average car produces over 12,000 pounds of carbon dioxide in a year.
In ten years I've not produced 120,000 lbs of CO2. Sixty tons.

- it takes 240 trees to absorb the 12,0000 pounds of CO2 produced by the
average car in one year. Me and my bicycle have freed up 2,400 trees to do
the work of absorbing another car's carbon dioxide emissions for a decade.
Let me take that carbon credit and apply it to our family car - am I looking
green or what?

I get my statistics here:

http://www.environmentaldefense.org/article.cfm?ContentID=6083

I also understand that an hour of exercise gains you around two extra hours
of life, statistically speaking. I generally get 45 minutes of bicycling in,
five days a week, gaining me an extra 7.5 hours of living every week. Over
the decade that's 3900 extra hours, or 162.5 more days on this lovely
planet. Of course, I could also get smushed by a beer truck riding home
today. I'll try to be careful.

Mike