TheBanyanTree: Shepherd

Roger Pye pyewood at pcug.org.au
Mon May 14 21:58:33 PDT 2007

In January 1995 my life as a woodworker was a shambles; a long term
relationship had broken up and I was staying with friends near Braidwood
in the southern tablelands of NSW whilst I put together a workshop and
also searched for somewhere to live. The place I had chosen for a
workshop was an old barn on an even older farm on the fringe of town and
it was where I spent most of my time for the next two months laying a
wooden floor and making the building reasonably secure. Opposite the
barn across a narrow dusty track was a long leanto affair packed with
the sorts of things which pile up over time - car parts, horseshoes,
bags of feed or fertiliser, hay bales, bric-a-brac, junk. In one of the
bays and directly opposite the door to my workshop space had been made
by the farmer for a young German Shepherd bitch which lived next door
and the puppies in her first litter.  Most of these were content to stay
within the confines of the leanto but one seemed always to be outside
it, sitting in the middle of the track, staring at my door. Every day
soon after I arrived to begin work she would appear, sit down and stay
there, watching, for most of the time until I left in the afternoon. It
was inevitable, I suppose, that one day I would speak to her owner and
she would become mine.

	I called her Lucy because the name seemed to fit and soon she became my
constant companion, occupying the passenger seat in my utility when I
was driving and sleeping in the trayback if I stopped anywhere for any
length of time.Within a month or so I was caretaking a farm twenty
kilometres from town and it was there in June that I had a nervous
breakdown. Lucy watched over me with unvarying intensity as I stumbled
through the after effects which included loss of memory.

	In November of that year I went to live on the south side of Jindabyne
with the woman who, two years later, would become my wife. Robin had a
five year old Australian Silky Terrier called Dylan Thomas and I
remember thinking the first time I drove the 200 kms to her house
whether Lucy and Dinny would get on with each other and what I could do
if they did not hit it off. I need not have worried - when the ute
stopped and I opened the door Lucy leaped out to greet Dinny and he
spent the next hour chasing her round in circles!

	The years passed and so did situations. From Jindabyne we moved to a
sheep farm near Berridale where Lucy spent her days on the front
verandah of our rented cottage (if we weren't going anywhere) and her
nights inside with us. She mothered  Dinny and our cats and us as well,
obsessing whenever one or another of us was away. In 2001 we left the
country, moving to Canberra so Robin could complete her PhD, and Lucy
exchanged wide open acreage for a small back garden. She took it all in
her stride.

	Two years ago after a series of strokes Dinny went to that big garden
in the sky where he romps and plays and sleeps now. Lucy became very
distraught at his passing and after a week or so we began looking for
another companion for her - and our three cats. The companion came along
in the form of a 6 month old Yorkshire Terrier who we called Miss Ruby.
Smaller though she was than two of the cats she still bossed Lucy about
and the two were almost always together.

	 Last Thursday at about 5.30 in the morning Lucy suffered a huge
stroke, lost the use of her hips and back legs and became very confused.
There was very little we could do but keep her quiet and comfortable
until the vet hospital opened at 8am and it was apparent by then that
her kidneys weren't functioning properly if at all. At 8.15 she went to
sleep with my hands upon her and a light went out of my life.

	For 12 years she graced us with her presence, I would swear she
understood every word we said whether to her or each other as she
watched over us, guarded us and our possessions.  Everywhere I look in
the garden and the house, I see her and I understand very well the
discomfort of Miss Ruby when she races outside to be with her big furry
friend only to find she isn't there.

God bless you, Lucy. thank you for everything,

roger