TheBanyanTree: Life Stories 213

Tobie Shapiro tobie at shpilchas.net
Fri May 4 08:58:44 PDT 2007

May 4, 200000007

Dear Melancholy Babies,

	I've been writing letters to my lawyer
all morning.  Such gut grinding stuff.  I don't
even like to think about all the complications,
the details, the nastiness of the divorce
settlement.  It just stirs up my feelings of
outrage and grief.  These are two emotions that I
could just as well do without while I'm trying to
raise my kids and get by.  (Meyshe just came in
with his bent wrists on his mouth and his hands
extended in front of him.  Then he wiggled his
fingers at me.)

	Meyshe will be going to college in the
fall.  It will be a huge transition for him.  I
told him that when he's in college, there won't
be three teachers in a class of 13 students, that
if he gets upset about something someone said,
loses it, and walks off campus, no one will come
running after him to bring him back, that there
won't be a behaviour chart and a point system for
acting appropriately; he'll just be expected to
act appropriately.  The thing I worry about the
most is whether the other students will accept
him, even slightly.  He is awfully different.
He's awfully bright, too and there may be kids
who want to borrow off of his homework or get
answers from him, but will otherwise not give him
the time of day.  Will he perceive the slights?
Will they hurt his feelings constantly?  Will he
be an outcast?  Will there be someone who will be
his friend?

	Feyna will be continuing at City College
of San Francisco in the fall.  Her friend Alex
will have moved on to some school in San Diego,
so he says now.  A month or so ago, he was moving
to Mexico, had a job all lined up at a bank that
was going to pay him the equivalent of a hundred
thousand dollars a year.  I told Feyna to wait,
that Alex frequently changes his mind.  And of
course, he did.  The job in Mexico had to be a
fabrication.  Then the word was that he had been
accepted at M.I.T. and Reed and was choosing
between them.  I judged that to be a crock.  Now
he's going to go to some college in San Diego.
Whichever way this works out, Alex will not be
here next school year.  This leaves Feyna by
herself without her constant social network.  I
worry about her.  Will she find new friends when
this one departs?  She needs friends.  Will the
next friends be more honest and not fight with
her so much?  The relationship is sick.  She
needs a healthy alternative.  I don't want her
modeling her friendships on this one.

	And so many other things I could worry
about and probably do.  Feyna will have to solve
these growing up problems herself.  Meyshe still
needs my guidance.  And who's taking care of me?

                                           ˆˆˆˆˆˆˆˆˆˆˆˆˆˆˆˆˆˆˆˆˆˆˆˆˆˆˆˆˆˆˆ
                                        ŸŸŸŸŸŸŸŸŸŸŸŸŸŸŸŸŸŸŸŸŸŸŸŸŸŸŸŸŸŸŸŸŸŸŸŸŸŸ

Rattling the Resident

	Dweller and I were already married, and I
was twenty two.  It was Autumn.  I came down with
something, something unlike any illness I'd ever
gotten before: headache, fever, swollen glands on
one side of my face.  I tried to ignore it,
thinking this will pass unless I fixate on it.
So I went about my business being a new wife,
trying to figure out something constructive to do
besides house work.  But I couldn't throw myself
into it because I was too under the weather.  My
jaw started hurting.  I decided to go to drop-in
at Kaiser Permanente.  This was always an ordeal.
A long wait sitting in a stuffy area with two
dozen other people who are sick and need a
doctor.  This is a wonderful banquet for an up
and coming virus.  I sat there on my soft rump,
wearing my most casual and comfortable clothes:
loose Mickey Mouse T-shirt and some old broken
down pants.  I waited with every other
unfortunate soul.

	A door would open and an official would
stand in front of the miserable troupe, call out
a name.  Some sorry crumpled individual would
struggle up, follow the official down the hallway
to a room, go in and never be seen or heard from
again.  There were no visible doctors.  Where
were they?  I'd brought a book but I didn't feel
like reading.  I concentrated on being patient.
I watched the other sufferers shifting in their
chairs, groaning, whining, coughing, blowing
their noses.  Every once in a while, a brave
soul, usually a woman, would get up, go to the
front of the hall and complain to a person in a
uniform.  I could hear it from my seat.

	"How long is this going to take?  I've been here for two hours!"

	The answer would be muffled, without apology.  "We're very busy now."

	The kvetcher turned around, shaking her
head, plodded back to her seat which had, in the
meantime, been taken by a new arrival.  She threw
up her hands, found another chair further back.
This was repeated many times, and it got to be a
kind of game.  Who will be the next person to go
up there and shake the administrator by the
throat?  Who looked bored, desperate enough,
about at the point to throw in the towel, go home
to the loving family, carriers all?

	Then there were the interactions between
the sick parent and the pre-schooler who had to
come along.  "No sweetheart.  Mommy doesn't feel
good.  We have to sit."  A wild swipe at her
purse.  "No sweetheart.  You can't have that.
Not a toy.  We have to wait."  Child runs down
the hallway, bumping into knees, handling
everything.  Mommy gets up, chases after
sweetheart, drags him back to the chair.  This
was repeated many times.  The afternoon wore on.
I felt worse.  I got up, went to the pay phone
and called Dweller at work.  "I'm at Kaiser.
It's taking forever.  I don't know when I'll be
home."  I went back to my seat which was now
occupied by some one else.  I searched for
another chair to drop my tuchas into.  The wait
took a few hours.  Once or twice, I was the
person who went up to the official whining about
how long it was taking.  How long would it be?

	"We're very busy now.  There are other
people who need to see the doctor, too.  You have
to wait your turn."

	By five, the place had cleared out
somewhat.  Most people were home snortling
through their dinner preparations, or self
medicating.

	Finally, they called me into the little
room.  A nurse told me that I'd be seeing Dr.
Rosensweig.  It would just be a few minutes.  It
was forty minutes.  Rosensweig was a young
doctor, maybe a resident.  He was very pleasant,
smiled pinkly at me as I sat there on the
examination table with the decrepit hospital gown
draped around me.  Rosensweig felt my neck,
gingerly, his eyes focussed on his feet.  He
looked in my mouth, my ears, my eyes, my nose.
He put his fingers on my throat and said,
"Swallow."  He checked my reflexes.  He scratched
his head.  He pondered.  "I'm going to get
another doctor to consult with me.  I don't
really know what this is."  He left.  A half hour
later, a different doctor knocked on the door and
entered the room.

	"I'm doctor Nussbaum," he introduced himself.

	I said, "I'm Tobie Shapiro, and I've been
here forever.  Dr. Rosensweig didn't know what
this is."

	He said, "Look at me.  Lift your head."
Then he burst out laughing.  I was too ill to be
offended.  "I'm going to give Rosensweig a lot of
trouble over this.  He won't hear the end of it."
He laughed again.  "I could have diagnosed you
from down the street!  You've got mumps," he
chuckled.

	"At twenty two?"

	"Sure, at twenty two.  You never had it before, right?"

	"Right."

	"Well, you've got it now."

	I asked if it were so easy to diagnose,
why Rosensweig missed it.  He told me, "Look.
You're in medical school.  You're being prepared
to be a doctor.  Everyone warns you that one day
you're going to be standing in an examination
room and a beautiful young woman is going to be
sitting there naked in front of you.  And you
have to keep your cool.  They keep telling you
this.  Then today, it happened to Rosensweig, and
he lost his mind.  Everything he learned, he
forgot."

	I had a little trouble thinking of myself
as a beautiful young naked woman.  But I tried to
believe Nussbaum.  He told me what to do for the
mumps, told me to get dressed and go home, get
some rest.  He shook my hand, went to the door,
took hold of the doorknob and smiled, "I'm gonna
torture Rosensweig.  Everyone will hear about
this."  He left, laughing.

	I kind of felt sorry for Rosensweig.  I
could see there was a strange comraderie among
doctors.  I drove myself home, walked in the door
and told Dweller I had the mumps.

	"That's what I thought."  He looked at me.

	So I was no longer a beautiful young
woman to my husband.  I was a wife.

--

Tobie Helene Shapiro