TheBanyanTree: Life Stories 212

Tobie Shapiro tobie at shpilchas.net
Thu May 3 07:04:39 PDT 2007

May 2, 2000000007

Dear Thoy Popjoy,

	Thoy Popjoy is the actual name of someone
in the Oakland phone book.  Feyna and I were
perusing the pages to scout out notable names.
Thoy gets a prize for his or her name.  Also
appreciated greatly:  C. Dusterdick., Fadi
Hanhan, and the rest of the list that is now
pinned to the freezer with a magnet.  You, too,
can partake of this enjoyable pastime.  Just get
out your white pages and flip it open pretty much
anywhere.  Go down the page, and you will find
them.  If you're in the middle of Smith, Jones,
or Wong, you can open up to another page.  Just
keep your eyes open and the sparkling little
miracles of the world will fall into your hands.
Many years ago, many years, I said, many years
ago, I was doing the same exercize with the
Oakland phone book, and culled a crop of names
that has lived on in my memory.  I think I've
shared them here, before, but I am going to share
them again.  Whom could it hurt?  These people
are not reading this, and it was a long time ago.
They may have assimilated and changed their names
by now, except for the Drs. Puckeylowe who may
have a Puckeylowe IV by now.

	Uglers Sisty
	Neely Slinkard
	Lucky J. Owyang
	Wanchai Chukasamsuk
	Dr. Harold D. Puckeylowe II
	Dr. Harold D. Puckeylowe III

	We have to be careful when we are giving
our children their names.  In my stepson, Ben's,
second grade class, there was a girl whose
parents were recent immigrants to the United
States.  She was born here.  They must have been
looking for a pretty sounding word.  They named
her Latrina.  This is not a name I would put on a
list of funny names, because it isn't funny.
Latrina will suffer, has suffered already,
through school.  She probably changed her name.

	I don't particularly like the name,
Tobie.  I don't hate it, but it always sounded
too cute to me.  And I'm not cute.  What I do
like about it is that whenever people call out,
"Tobie!", I can be pretty sure they're talking
about me.  A name is important.  Before Meyshe
and Feyna were born, those who asked if we had
names for the babies yet were told, "Oh, yes!
The girl will be Feyna and the boy will be
Meyshe."  The standard reaction was a slight
pause and then a criticism.  We were told we
couldn't name them that, that everyone would
tease them, that they would fail because of their
weird names, that these names were not suitable
for human beings.  So we stopped telling people.
After they were born, everyone complimented us on
the names.  "Feyna?  Meyshe?  Such beautiful
names!  What kind of names are those?" Meyshe may
be one of the only people I know who likes his
name.  We all have complicated relationships with
our given names.  If I were to move to Tuva,
would some Tuvan pick my name out of the
phonebook and put it on a list that she tacked to
the refrigerator with a magnet?

"""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""
                                         ØØØØØØØØØØØØØØØØØØØØØØØØØØ
                                        ¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶

Attempts at Shape-Shifting

	When I was a teenager, I was very
concerned about my weight.  I was zaftig, which
is good if you're in the old country.  In the old
country, they wanted substantial women.  A
scrawny, flat chested, narrow hipped woman was
not good for anything.  Would she have the energy
to pop out the babies every nine months, hold one
in her arms, one on her hip, and one in her
belly?  She had to be sturdy.  She practically
had to pull the plow.  Just her having to keep up
with all the Jewish laws was a monumental effort.
We have words for women who can do all this: keep
a clean house, keep the cupboards full, make the
delectable dishes that had to be formed by hand
for four hours when it took ten seconds to eat
one, have the house perfect by nine in the
morning.  She also had to raise intelligent
children well versed in their duties as Jews and
their behaviour as citizens of the world.  On top
of that, she had to be patient with the husband,
those irascible beings with their payess and
beards, their constant prayer and davening, their
moodiness, their arcane needs while they studied
Torah in the back room, and the wife, this sturdy
woman also had to earn the living.  We call these
women Balabostas, sometimes not flatteringly.
All these amazing feats a sylph doesn't do, can't
do, would be an idiot to attempt to do, and so,
her dowry would be small.  The shadchen would be
hard pressed to find her a decent husband.

	That was over a hundred twenty years ago.
And I might ad, that is part of what my ancestors
were trying to escape, at least the women.  In
the new Goldeneh Medinah, the Golden Land, all
the rules were different, and the perfect woman
was different, too.  By the time I got to
physical womanhood, the ideal was thin; soft
spoken and thin, obedient and thin.  I was
neither.  I was blessed and cursed with
curvaceousness.  What was I going to do about it?
I could feel grotesque about it.  I could
celebrate it while others intoned that I was
overweight and should drop ten or twenty pounds.
I could try to lose weight.  I could go on diets.

	This I did with remarkable fervour.  If
the idea was to attract a man, even a bloated
one, a beef, cheese and pizza guy, then I had to
eliminate some of this perfection that I owned in
one cultural setting, and lacked in the other.
What luck.  The diets were available.  Almost all
of them involved a determined denial of pleasure.
One would have to bid any kind of satiety adieu.
The  problem was also that I had no idea what was
supposed to be the perfect weight for me.
Indeed, given that I was perfect in my inherited
culture, how was I to alter myself to fit the
specifications of the other?

	I tried eliminating all second helpings,
reducing lunch to a cup of coffee, chewing on
sugarless gum to keep the mouth and teeth
occupied.  I thought there must be a certain
amount of chewing that the body required in a
day.  Satisfy that quota and I'd be able to wave
away the treats, the fat on the edge of the lamb
chop, the second, maybe even third helping of
noodles, the stacks of protein, the great clumps
of calorific lubricants.  Just chew enough and
all temptation gone.  But this was a failure.
Gum made my stomach growl.  Gum left me sore but
not satisfied.  Gum looked awful being worked
over in the mouth.  Gum's flavour wore off after
a few minutes.  Gum made me hate gum.

	I was not good at denying myself the
desired quantities of food.  It was easier to eat
nothing at all than to limit myself to one
peanut, one raisin, one eighth of a slice of
meat.  So I tried the special formula diets.  All
fruit.  Fill  yourself up on fruit: a pile of
berries and a half a grapefruit for breakfast, an
apple, a pear and a nectarine for lunch.  For
dinner, a tangerine, half a cantaloupe, and an
orange.  This was the sort of diet that could
take off quite a few pounds but was only
temporary.  You couldn't eat like that forever.
You wouldn't get scurvy, but your hair might fall
out, and you might get an attack of vertigo so
spinning that you wouldn't know where you'd be
set down.  So I'd drop a few pounds, feel awfully
good for a week or so.  Then, of course, I'd have
to go off the diet, and that would bring on the
romance with edible lubricants, sweet whipped
things, our friend the side of beef.  And a week
later, it would be back to choosing from a crazy
list of diets.

	"How to lose ten ugly pounds in just ten
minutes:  cut off your head."  After groaning at
the old worn out joke, I considered it.  The
beauty of this was that it eliminated the concern
about appearance.

	The all you can eat diets:  eat as much
cake as you want.  But that's all you can have.
Eat vegetables without butter or oil.  Eat them
by the vat, three or four helpings of parsnips
for a meal.  But nothing else.  The all booze
diet.  Get drunk and forget about the whole
thing, including how to get home or if you are
actually already at home and you just don't know
it.

	My friend, Mike Gold, the one who
followed me around for eight years, moonstruck,
upon realizing my self loathing, looked up some
efficacious diets and came up with a diet that
included huge amounts of protein and fat.  Bacon
for breakfast, steak for lunch and dinner, meat
ball sandwiches without the bread, and
grapefruit.  That was the key: the grapefruit.

	I thanked Mike.  I took this on for a
week.  I was religious about it.  Meat and
grapefruit.  Why not?  So there were no bread
puddings or chocolate eclairs.  I could go
without.  This diet was supposed to be able to
sustain you for months.  After my week was up, I
toddled into the bathroom to weigh myself.  I'd
gained eight pounds.  Mike hid in a corner.  I
vented.  Then my mother sent me to the infamous
doctor Haskill.  His clientele were exclusively
oversized women who wanted to be undersized.
They had all gone through the repertoire of
methods: diets, starvation, heinous exercize,
hypnosis, channeling Audrey Hepburn, diet pills,
filling the stomach with foam rubber to trick
themselves into believing they were full, all
manner of S & M, all manner of incentives, all
manner of threats, prayer, levitation, astrology,
phrenology, mystics calling upon spirit guides to
guide the food from their mouths, the gambler's
diet, the drinker's diet, the miser's diet, the
complete and total idiot's diet, the twelve step
diet, the necrophiliac's diet, the Des Moines
diet, the back forty diet, the little pischer's
diet, the celebrity diet, the Olympic Gold
medalist diet, the astronaut's diet, the Johnny
Weissmuller diet, the ghetto diet, the posthumous
diet, the Edgar Allen Poe diet, the insecure poor
body image diet, the world's simplest diet, the
caviar and champaign diet, the Haile Selassie
diet, the J. Edgar Hoover diet, the wisdom of the
ancients diet, the short wave radio diet, the
innocent bystander's diet, the salt lick diet,
the lard and lemon juice diet, the last diet
you'll ever need diet, the Mensa diet, the beer
and chips diet, the Karl Marx diet, the
stewardess's diet, the cowpoke's diet, the lock
jaw diet, the last ditch diet, the shining silver
path diet, the 100% cotton diet, the DDT diet,
the garlic and jalapeño diet, the altered state
diet, the  Klingon diet, the tool shed diet, the
leaky roof diet, the phlegm releasing diet.
These people had tried them all and finally
decided to hand their problem over to a
physician, someone who had gone through medical
school, the torture of internship and residency.
This highly disciplined, highly educated, highly
paid doctor would have the cure to their body
image illness.  Put yourself in the hands of the
person of ultimate authority.  A doctor.  Beyond
doctor, there was only God.  But first, something
real, a doctor.

	Doctor Haskill weighed me every time I
came in, once a month.  He doled out a fistful of
pills and I swallowed them every day.  What they
did was probably a good example of the placebo
effect.  Dr. Haskill administered mystery pills
to some, injections to others.  No one was privy
to any one else's information.  No comparing
notes.  Haskill had it all figured out.  Along
with the pills he had us on diets.  It was pretty
severe.  I wondered at the time why we needed all
those pills when the caloric intake on his plan
was so miniscule that we would lose weight from
the restrictive diet alone.  What were the pills
for?  They didn't seem to make it easier to cut
back on the food.  They were perhaps vitamins and
minerals to make up for what we weren't ingesting
by fork, spoon and knife?  Maybe they were clever
pills that could find the exact places on my body
that needed reduction, and have the diet work
only on those places.  Maybe they were powerful
molecular restructuring medications.  Maybe they
were powerful placebos.  That was my guess.

	Dr. Haskill's professionally supervised
diet went on for six months.  For six months I'd
had no sugar, no bread, no butter, no starch, no
fat, absolutely no birthday cake.  I didn't lose
an ounce.  This was not Haskill's responsibility.
Haskill did not have to live up to any standards.
If I didn't lose weight on his diet with the
pared down calories and the secret psycho-soma
pills, I had no one to thank but myself.  There
was one lasting effect.  I ceased liking candy of
any kind.  After six months of no candy, when I
got off his no luck diet, I could no longer
tolerate candy.  Too sweet.  Too rich.  I pass.
You will not find my thumbprint in the bottom of
all the chocolates in the two layer candy box.  I
am off somewhere else, lusting after animal fat.

--

Tobie Helene Shapiro
Berkeley, California   USA

tobie at shpilchas.net