TheBanyanTree: Life Stories 191

Tobie Shapiro tobie at shpilchas.net
Wed Mar 28 07:56:00 PDT 2007

March 28, 20000000007

Dear Helpers,

	I got several e-mails about drinking the
water in Tijuana.  The unanimous opinion was,
"Don't do it."  I'm still trying to find some
official source for that advice.  And another
thing came up.  A couple people mentioned that
Feyna will need a passport.  She hasn't got one.
Anyone know about this?  What will happen to a 20
year old woman without a U.S. Passport? She has
student picture I.D. and a California Driver's
License.  I can send her with a copy of her birth
certificate.  But there's no time to get a
passport.  Neither Alex nor Natalie has mentioned
the need for one.  They will be flying down to
San Diego, bussing to the border and walking
across.  Someone tell me what to do.

                       ØØØØØØØØØØØØØØØØØØØØØØØØØØØØØØØØØØØØ
                        ©©©©©©©©©©©©©©©©©©©©©©©©©©©©©©©©©©©©©©©
                         ®®®®®®®®®®®®®®®®®®®®®®®®®®®®®®®®®®®®®®

Franchise Dreams

	We were not very health conscious while I
was growing up.  We concentrated on the care and
feeding of brains.  Thank God there weren't a
whole lot of fast food joints dotting the
landscape, or I'm sure my parents would have
frequented some of them, and I'd have had
occluded arteries by the time I was fourteen.  At
fourteen, the beauty of that situation would be
that like most fourteen year old girls, I would
have blamed the arteries on my mother.  There
would have been a shouting match.

	Now, there are fast food joints in every
block, gigantic chain restaurants that
manufacture their food from a central kitchen and
ship it out to their franchises.  There were
chains back when I was young, but it wasn't an
epidemic.  No one was counting carbs or figuring
out the sodium content of the soup.  Pizza was
healthy for you because cheese was protein.  Big
slabs of meat were the regular fare.  A humble
baked potato was filled with an ice cream scoop
of whipped butter, three tablespoons of crumbled
bacon, and a cup of sour cream.  Don't forget the
salt.  Lard was the common grease, and creamed
sauces with butter and flour in them were
standard.  Still, obesity wasn't so pervasive and
we weren't tracing cancer back to that can of
soda with sucaryl in it, the half gram of animal
fat we ate off the steak, or the environmental
hazards of power lines, pollution and stray toxic
waste.  The audience put their dark glasses on
and sat in their chairs watching the atomic blast
in the desert, their hair blowing back in the
wind, their bodies being assaulted by the evil
waves of radiation born of the explosion.  But no
one knew.

	Now, on top of the dietary and
environmental factors contributing to terminal
illnesses, we also have the worry about all these
factors which can break down your immune system
faster than HIV.  That's another thing.  There
was a time before AIDS.  The sexually transmitted
diseases were gonorrhea and syphilis, and only
bad, really loose people got them.  This was, of
course, all myth.  We also were under the
illusion that everybody, or rather, every woman,
was a virgin when she got married.

	The chains were beginning to proliferate
when I was in my twenties, and hooked up with
Harry Lum.  He believed in experiencing America
and American culture.  This is why he went by
himself to see, "Night of the Living Dead," at a
drive in, and why he studiously listened to
rock'n'roll.  So when a new Sizzler restaurant
opened up fairly near his house, we went there on
opening night.

	The place was all balloons and banners.
They were giving table service.  Waiters and
waitresses in uniform with name tags were coming
to tables and taking your orders.  We looked
through the menu, which was fairly limited.  You
had your steak, and then there was your steak and
shrimp.  There was shrimp, and there was shrimp
and steak.  There was a salad bar with a
convenient and reassuring, "sneeze guard," which
is a much more appealing name than a, "phlegm
guard," or a, "vomit guard."  They had this down
to a science.

	Harry and I both ordered steaks.

	"How would you like that done?"  (Oooooh!  A good sign!)

	"Very rare," I said.

	"Very rare," said Harry.

	"Fine.  Go help yourselves to the salad
bar and I'll be back with your steaks."

	We took up positions on opposite sides of
the salad bar, and worked our way around,
skipping nothing but the marshmallow jello
surprise, and the Ambrosia, a frothy icky sweet
creamy mayonnaisy sauce in which maraschino
cherries, grapes, pieces of apple and chopped
walnuts were drowning.  We built fortifications
of bean salads and solid substances around the
bed of lettuce to make a solid wall that would
contain all the mushrooms, beets, croutons,
broccoli, cheese, peas, onions, bacon bits, cole
slaw, fruit salad, cottage cheese salad,
cucumbers, tomatoes, pickles, olives, wax peppers
and gallons of mixed salad dressings.  There were
also stiff little rolls and pats of butter.  When
we got back to our table, the plates with the
steaks had arrived.  Oooh, La La!  Slabs of meat
with accompanying potato.  We cut into the
steaks.  They were grey inside.  Well, that's not
rare.

	We called the waiter over.

	"We asked for very rare.  These are well
done.  See?  It's grey on the inside."

	The waiter apologized and removed the two
well done steaks, promising to bring back very
rare ones, just to our specifications.  We hurled
ourselves into our salads.  They tasted chemical.
The major ingredient in the dressings must have
been, "additives, preservatives, and
stabilizers".  We ate it anyway.

	Halfway through our mountains of salad,
the waiter returned with two freshly very rare
steaks.  He stood there waiting for our approval.
We cut into them.  They were grey on the inside.

	"Look," Harry instructed the teenage
waiter whose voice was still cracking and who
probably didn't even have fully descended
testicles, "The insides of these steaks are grey.
That means it's well done.  A rare steak should
be pink and red on the inside."

	"Yes, sir," said the waiter, removing our steaks for a second time.

	I was feeling slightly embarrassed.  Were
we expecting too much of the Sizzler?  After all,
it was only a lowest common denominator chain.

	"What do we do if the steaks come back
grey inside again?" I asked Harry.

	"Then we send it back again.  We keep sending it back until it's rare."

	I squared my shoulders, sat up very
straight for the upcoming assault.  The waiter
brought back the steaks.

	"Here," he smiled broadly.  "I watched
the chef.  He only flipped them after half a
minute on either side.  These are rare."  He set
them down.  We cut into them.

	They were grey.

	Harry and I looked at each other.  It was
evident that very rare at Sizzler is grey,
because the steak starts out grey on the inside.
It's processed meat, riddled with preservatives.
There is no such thing as pink at the Sizzler.
We ate our treated salads, and left, shuddering
whenever we thought of what could possibly make
the inside of an uncooked steak grey.

--

Tobie Helene Shapiro
Berkeley, California   USA