TheBanyanTree: twilight walk with moon and teen

Julie Anna Teague jateague at indiana.edu
Wed Mar 28 11:50:47 PDT 2007

I had to pry the boy away from the tv and the computer last night and
make him take a walk with me.  It was for his own good--the kid has
been almost completely non-moving lately.  It was a glorious, warm
twilight with a bright gibbous moon, and we hiked down to an area near
our house which a wonderful older lady sold to the Sycamore Land Trust
so that no one can ever develop it. (Ha! A finger in the face of
several bigwig ruiners-of-beautiful-places!)  The short trail opens to
a rise in a woods surrounded by pines and cedars and covered with
literally thousands of daffodils.  Just lovely.

The kid was wound up, let me tell you.  Like a spring.  Once he got his
feet moving, got some blood pumping, and realized he had a captive
audience, he was a one man comedy act.  He kept going into these
tirades in different funny voices.  One long, hilarious spiel was about
how I was a bad little booger eater.  Just totally ridiculous and crude
stuff, but done well enough that I was almost rolling on the ground
laughing.

As we were hiking, we came across a huge, dead snapping turtle at the
side of the road.  It's head was four inches across, and it's shell was
a foot wide if not a bit more.  I don't know if I've ever seen a
snapping turtle that big, poor thing.  Andy said, "You know, when we
were walking up I thought this turtle looked like a pile of elephant
dung.  Doesn't it look just like elephant dung?  But then I thought to
myself, 'It must be something else because where would an elephant have
come from?'"  After I finished laughing till I choked, I thought to
myself how this was a subtle shift in his thought process.  Just last
year he would've asked me, in all seriousness, "Is that a pile of
elephant dung in the road?"  Last year he wouldn't have made the mental
leap, right away, of realizing there are no elephants in the vicinity.

He also tells me, this sixteen year old of mine, that this is why he
doesn't need to do drugs--because his brain works in this odd fashion.
He sees it as "random thinking".  I tend to take the view that he has
not yet had the endless possibilities of the world squashed out of him
and proven, for all intents and purposes, impossible.  He postulates
"elephant dung" and has to remind himself that there are probably no
elephants roaming around Southern Indiana.  My adult brain has already
eliminated all possibilities of elephants and rarely even thinks of
them.  In fact, I see now that I eliminated a lot of impossible
possibilities at far too young an age.

Julie