TheBanyanTree: Life Stories 190

Tobie Shapiro tobie at shpilchas.net
Tue Mar 27 07:20:56 PDT 2007

March 27, 200000000007

Dear Sources of Knowledge,

	Feyna is going to Mexico, just to Tijuana, for a day on the
third of April.  She will fly down to San Diego and then walk across
the border with her friends, Alex and Natalie.  Word has it that Alex
lived in Mexico for five years.  He speaks fluent Spanish.  He
insists that the water is fine to drink in Tijuana, that the place is
clean now and there are none of the problems that existed in the
past.  I find this hard to believe.  Feyna is so convinced that Alex
is right that she's threatening to go down there and drink water from
the tap because she trusts him so much.  I need to know from any of
you who might have good information what the truth of the matter is.
Give me your news, your knowledge, your experience, your huddled
masses yearning to breathe free.  Site your references.  She's
adamant.  I'm scared.  I know the tourista won't kill her, but it
could make her very sick.  Or am I outdated?

                  wwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww
                  WWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW
                   VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV

Coffee/Cookies

	By the time Meyshe was two and a half, he'd taught himself to
read and write.  He couldn't write letters to the editor, or read
Ulysses, but this was the vehicle for simple communications.  In
particular, when we embarked on our morning errands and pleasures, I
would make up a list for Meyshe.  I'd put it on a piece of yellow
lined note paper and separate the items on the list by at least one
line of blank space.  This was to keep the items distinct for him.

	The note would look something like:

1)  Coffee cookies

2)  Bank

3)  Playground

4)  Food store

	What the list did was to organize his world.  Without the
language nailed down and handed to him, the world was a jumble of
confusions, events whipping past his ears and eyes, while he reeled
from the surprises.  He needed order.  When he could see what the
sequence of events would be, then he could predict and follow along,
knowing the places and activities.  Everything was correct,
manageable.  As we went from place to place, I would cross out the
event completed and point to the new one.  I'd read it and he could
follow along.  Feyna, without a list, was fine with the meanderings
of the day.  She heard the language and took events as they came.
What she needed to do was examine everything on the way.  Just what
are those bugs on the sidewalk doing in front of Peet's?  What is
that little mark on the wall in the bank?  In the meantime, Meyshe
was in his usual hurry to get through things, rushing from the spot
where he was put down to the distant disappearing point on the
horizon where all the lines converge in perfect perspective.  For
him, there was no difference between the sidewalk and the street.  I
suspected that he simply couldn't see the cars going to and fro.
They were imaginary giants, too big to focus on, and too much in
motion to see.  He'd grip his list and refer to it, silently taking
in the directives, knowing what was happening to him.

	One morning when the first item on Meyshe's list was, "Coffee
Cookies," I drove the car to Peet's and couldn't find a parking place
in the lot.  This meant we would have to approach Peet's from an
entirely different direction.  We would be diverging from Meyshe's
visualization of the points on his list.  As soon as I parked the car
on the street and fed the meter, Meyshe went crazy.  This was not the
orderly description of happenings.  It confused him utterly, and he
started to scream.  I pointed to number one on the list.  "Coffee
Cookies," I insisted.  "Coffee Cookies.  See?"  I pointed at Peet's
standing there half way up the block.  Feyna had already dropped down
to the pavement to experiment with an ant.  Meyshe took off from the
moment I let go of him and ran hysterically up the street, noticing
nothing on the way.  I looked at Feyna having her inspection and
decided I had to leave her there while I rounded up Meyshe.  I caught
up with him, handed him the list and repeated, "Coffee Cookies".
Meyshe threw himself on the sidewalk screaming, discarding the list,
kicking and fighting the air.  Feyna finished with her ant and
wandered toward us.  I leaned over Meyshe and tried to soothe him.

	I thought the only way to calm him down and start afresh
would be to get him in there to Peet's, stand in the line he was used
to, get him a cookie and show him how things were actually going
according to plan.  I could cement the concept of Coffee Cookies with
an actual cup of coffee and an actual real life cookie.  I dragged
both of them into Peet's.  Meyshe fell on the floor in front of the
counter, jerking his arms around, hollering undecipherable syllables.
I ordered coffee and two cookies, and stood there listening to the
screaming as I waited for the prompt and friendly service.  Feyna, as
she was so many times, was left out of the scope of my devoted
attentions.  I told her that Meyshe was having trouble and I was not
forgetting her.  But of course, she could see where my attentions
were focussed, forgetting or not forgetting her.

	He flailed and fought, shrieked and tossed his head around.
I knew that if I could just show him that, "Coffee Cookies," was
taking place just like usual, just like it said on the list, he would
be able to make sense of things, verify it with his list and go on
with life.  I needed that cookie.  That cookie arrived and was handed
to me by the nice employee.  I'm afraid I snatched it from her
without a smile and held it in front of Meyshe's eyes.

	"Look!  Coffee," I showed him my cup of coffee, "Cookies," I
showed him his big round cookie.  He reached for it.  Just then, I
was interrupted by knowing citizen number one who glared at me and
with a sarcastic sneer said, "That's right.  Reward him for his
tantrum with a cookie.  Good job, Mom."

	All hell broke loose within me.  I turned on the man who
hadn't counted on rebuttal.

	"What do you know about my son?!  Just who are you to tell me
how to raise my children?  Your mother did such a fine job on you
that you can't keep your mouth shut, you're so sure of your damn
self.  You know nothing about what's happening here.  Go back where
you came from and grow up!"

	I couldn't believe these words came out of me.  Usually,
polite to a fault, trying to please everyone.  Oh yes, everyone
should like me.  But that all went out the window when I was
defending my children.  I felt the fury rise inside my throat and
settle after I'd unleashed it on the shocked and arrogant idiot who'd
dared to come between me and my mission to save my son.  The man
slinked away, his mouth shut.

	Meyshe ate the cookie.  I showed him the list.

1)  Coffee Cookies

2)  Bank

	He read, "Bank," and headed outside to the car.  Barely past
number one, and I already looked like a tsunami had flattened me.  I
brought my twins to the car, lifted Feyna up and carried her, kissing
her cheeks and her head as we walked down the street.

--

Tobie Helene Shapiro
Berkeley, California   USA

tobie at shpilchas.net