TheBanyanTree: Life Stories 180

Tobie Shapiro tobie at shpilchas.net
Thu Mar 15 08:01:41 PDT 2007

March 15, 200000000000007

Dear Ye Who Matter Most,

	So here's the deal about villainman.
While my lawyer and I were in chambers with the
judge, she explained to me some of the history of
the case that had gone on since the last
settlement conference.  Evidently, she'd had a
lot of trouble with the opposing attorney, whose
name is Sterling.  Sterling went way over the top
and wrote Judge Preville a letter that was, how
shall I say this, impudent and presumptuous.  She
wanted to hold him in contempt, but thought if
she did so, the case would go in the toilet.  So
she didn't.  She regretted not being able to do
so.  She complained about villainman and his new
wife, Rebecca, saying that she thought Rebecca
had convinced villainman that there was no
sanctuary for him but her, and that my twins and
I were the enemy.  She referred to villainman as
not dealing with a full deck.  She also said that
she was on the verge of not being able to be
objective about the case, and she had to prevent
herself from going over the line.

	In the process of explaining all this,
she repeated a conversation she'd had with
Sterling.  He was representing villainman and
Rebecca in their proposal to wrest Feyna and
Meyshe from me and have them both put in a group
home (separate group homes), the kind the
government runs.  Judge Preville described these
as places you wouldn't want anyone to have to be.
You have a key and you have a room that you share
with another incarceratee in a house that has
curled green linoleum floors and there's a
bathroom down the hall.  There would be a den
mother, so to speak, who would make sure everyone
was in on time.  Your fellow inmates would be
other people whom luck had forgotten, who had no
resources to keep them out of the home, and no
living person to protect them from this.  The
reason villainman and Rebecca insisted that this
was what to do with Feyna and Meyshe was that I
was an unfit mother, evidenced by the fact that
neither of the twins was independent yet, and
living in the government run group home would
inspire them to become independent.  It would be
the best thing for them.  The Judge opened her
eyes wide when she told me how she reacted.  "ARE
YOU OUT OF YOUR MIND!?" she shouted at Sterling.
Sterling pressed further saying that this was the
way to make the twins independent.  Tough love, I
suppose.

	I cannot shake this thing.  The man I
lived with for twenty years wants to take my
children away from me and throw them in a hellish
home.  I thought about the nature of those homes
and what that environment would actually do to
Feyna and Meyshe.  It would crush them.  Meyshe
would become schizophrenic and deathly depressed.
Feyna would be sexually exploited within a week.
When I got home, I locked myself in my room
(well, there is no lock, but I closed the door)
and cried.  There's been a knot in my stomach
ever since.  A sick feeling in my heart, my mind
races.  I can't comprehend the cruelty, the
vengeance, the wickedness.  He is perhaps trying
to get even with the kids for not speaking to
him?  Or is he just a transformed man, so removed
from his children that he doesn't think of them
as human any more?  No, even that wouldn't do it.
I'm removed from all the people living in such
homes, and I ache for them as I type this.  What
about their lives?  Who speaks for them?

	There is no danger that any of that would
take place, of course.  Judge Preville lectured
Sterling that no sitting judge would even listen
to such a proposal, and would probably want to
toss them all out of the courtroom.  "Just try
it," she warned.

	Now you know why I've been distraught.
I'm waiting for the shock to wear off.  In the
meantime, I look at my twins, now twenty years
old, and I thank God that I'm their mother, and
that it's my kind of love that is raising them.

                                    gggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggg
                                    GGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG
                                     ¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥

The Benefit of a Label

	Meyshe was already seeing a speech
therapist when he was less than three years old.
Her name was Mary-Gage Herman, and she was a
beacon of warmth and sanity in my world that was
getting increasingly cold and crazy.  Day and
night, I pondered what could be the matter with
my boy.  Baby Boy B.  It had been a long time
since his ears had uncrinkled.   A lot of things
expand and change shape after birth.  They are
all scrunched up in there and when they come out,
they can assume their true forms, like
butterflies coming out of their chrysalises.
They need to dry,  swell to their proper sizes,
proportions, practise moving the moveable parts,
acquire their beauty and dignity.

	Meyshe was not growing up right, part of
the post partum expansion process.  In the
meantime, of course, there was Feyna, the twin
sister, growing up at her own pace, heavily
influenced by the behaviour of her twin brother.
They were a unit.  She brought him out of his
hermetic seclusion to learn the world of
communication and human interchange.  Without his
sister, I wonder what would have become of him.
Would he have been completely closed off?  Would
he have limited himself to counting his own
fingers and toes, listening to the quiet or the
racket inside his own head?  Would he have come
to know the necessity and the joy of
communication?  Without Feyna's constant contact
and unity with Meyshe, would she have developed
more swiftly, along with her contemporaries?
Would she have been burdened quite so much with
the social behaviours borrowed from her brother?
These are questions that are posed knowing that
there will never be answers.

	It was Mary-Gage who recommended that we
seek a full developmental evaluation at
Children's Hospital in Oakland.  I made an
appointment with them.  We brought him in.  They
tested him every which way.  There were two
administrators of the tests.  There was a doctor
Brad Berman, a warm, effusive, animated man, and
there was Susan Johnson, a business like,
impassive, distant woman who must have
interpreted her coldness as objectivity.  Each of
them was to come up with a report.

	Brad Berman showed Meyshe blocks, leggos,
building toys.  He didn't pay much attention to
them.  Berman was sweet to Meyshe, patient and
affectionate.  Meyshe returned the compliment,
rose from his position on the floor with the
leggos to go to Dr. Berman and give him a little
kiss.  Later, this showed up in his report as,
"social promiscuity".

	Susan Johnson put Meyshe in a room with a
huge doll house, and a number of tasks he needed
to accomplish, given certain prompts.  She sat
still, not leaning toward her young client, nor
giving him any social feedback.  She was a
cardboard cut-out.  She gave Meyshe no cues that
he was right or wrong on his tests.  An
unidentified and un-introduced woman sat on a
stool taking notes and observing.  She made no
contact with anyone, and Johnson made no contact
with her.  It was bizarre really, to have this
unidentified writing object present, but not
spoken to or about, as if she were a mannequin.
Meyshe did not cooperate with Susan Johnson.  He
had had enough of her, and all the testing.  He'd
been there being manipulated through activities
for two and a half hours.  He went over to the
wall switch and turned off the light.  Johnson
turned the light back on.  Meyshe got up and
turned it off again.  They went around with this
a few times before she threw up her hands and
gave up on him.  In her report, Meyshe was,
"socially unaware".

	I couldn't have disagreed more.  His
turning off the light was an eloquent, even
poetic, way of communicating his opinion to Dr.
Johnson.  He was exquisitely socially aware.  I
found Johnson lacking in social awareness.

	A week after all this testing, both of
the doctors came up with their reports.  They
contradicted each other.  Which was it?  Socially
promiscuous or socially unaware?  Which was it?
Rigid ritualistic behaviour, or disorganized
relations with no regard to structure?

	They brought us into a room where each of
us sat in a chair facing them.  Behind them was
an indoor wall with a large wide reflective
window in it.  This was obviously made to be a
one way mirror.  There were likely trainees on
the other side of the window taking notes on our
behaviour and reactions.

	"Well, I know you said you didn't want
just a label, but here it is.  Meyshe has a
condition known as, 'Pervasive Developmental
Disorder,' or 'PDD'."

	This sounded awful.  What was it?

	"Some of these kids grow up to be fairly
normal, but socially awkward.  Some of them grow
up to be profoundly dysfunctional, unable to
negotiate social interactions or take their
places, unassisted, in the world of normal
people.  This must be hard for you to hear."

	I sat, stunned.  My boy, a three
dimensional, mysterious combination of abilities
and disabilities had been reduced to an official
diagnosis.  Pervasive Developmental Disorder.  I
went home and looked it up in the big book of
psychiatric diagnoses, the DSM.  Under Pervasive
Developmental Disorder there was a mile long list
of symptoms.  If the subject exhibited seventeen
or more of these symptoms, then he or she
qualified for the diagnosis of PDD.  All right,
so PDD was a trash bin of possible behaviours.
What it really meant was, "We don't understand
these people, and in fact haven't the foggiest
notion of what it all means, but it needs a name
and number for insurance purposes, so it's PDD."

	I was enraged.  But I was also deeply
affected, depressed, worried.  Suddenly my boy
was a desperate situation.  And the doctors who
evaluated him had no ideas about what to do with
Meyshe.  They just dropped their label and ran.
I wept to Mary-Gage Herman and she gave me the
best piece of advice that I ever got from any one
who ever evaluated Meyshe, worked with Meyshe,
studied Meyshe, tested Meyshe or taught him.

	She said, "Tobie.  Don't pay any
attention to the labels.  Just do what works."

	I have lived by that credo with both of
my twins, in and out of crises, in triumph and
defeat.  It has always kept me focussed on what
is important and allowed me to discard what is
unimportant.  This is my formal thanks to
Mary-Gage.  She saved a lot of lives.

--

Tobie Helene Shapiro
Berkeley, California   USA