TheBanyanTree: Life Stories 179

Tobie Shapiro tobie at shpilchas.net
Wed Mar 14 08:06:44 PDT 2007

March 14, 200000000000000000007

Dearest dears,

	So at the last minute, Meyshe and Feyna
put together a dinner party.  I cancelled my
appointment with my shrink (that one's gonna cost
me some money for late cancellation) and I ran
around shopping for the ingredients for matzoball
soup for eight, apples and squash for eight, beet
and egg salad for eight and Challah for eight.
Then I picked up the cakes.  The cakes were for
16.  I ordered two, because up until the last
moments I didn't know how many were coming.  It
turned out to be nine.

	The dinner was a blazing success.  The
soup pot was reduced to enough for someone's
lunch.  There are plenty of matzoballs left,
however.  The refrigerator is groaning.  And my
fingernails are still stained red from working
with the beets.  That colour!  Beets are divine.

	In other news, on Monday, after an
exhaustive three and a half hour session, we
finally got a divorce settlement.  I found out
things about villainman that made me sick to my
stomach.  I can't force myself to write out his
name after the Shapiro, then hyphen.  So when I
wrote checks to the kids for their birthday, I
addressed them to Meyshe B. Shapiro, and Feyna
Alina Shapiro.  I know they'll be able to deposit
them.  I will tell you tomorrow about the
settlement conference.  I don't have the energy
right now.

                                 ‡ç‡ç‡ç‡ç‡ç‡ç‡ç‡ç‡ç‡ç‡ç‡ç‡ç‡ç‡ç‡ç‡ç‡ç‡ç‡ç‡
                                ‡Ç‡Ç‡Ç‡Ç‡Ç‡Ç‡Ç‡Ç‡Ç‡Ç‡Ç‡Ç‡Ç‡Ç‡Ç‡Ç‡

The Court of Last Resort

	Handwriting analysis got me into a lot of
interesting situations that I would never
otherwise have gotten into.  With the help of
Bonnie Weiss, my publicist, my name began to be
known at least around the bay area.  I did
interviews on the radio, was the talk show guest
for call in programs.  This is over the airwaves:

	"What does it mean if I make my Gs like this?"

	"Well, just a G doesn't mean any one
thing.  It's in combination with a list of other
factors that it may mean something."

	"You mean I can't tell just by looking at
a G that has a big loop on the top what's going
to happen to me next week?"

	"Handwriting analysis doesn't predict the
future.  It's for personality portraiture and
compatibility studies, for fitting people to the
right job with the right employer, for advising
how to treat the prospective employee.  I can't
tell your age, your race, your gender, your
sexual preference, your religion, or whether
you're right or left handed."

	They were always disappointed.  They
wanted prognostication, diving rods, magic
tricks.  They wanted the great unknown beyond to
come sweeping into their lives and give them an
answer, maybe even THE answer.  And then I got
all practical and scientific.  What a drag.

	The majority of people who actually made
appointments to come and see me for an in depth
analysis were at a tender juncture in their
lives.  They were re-evaluating themselves,
assessing the past, wondering about the future,
or in a difficult situation, a precarious balance
of will, luck and circumstance.  They came to me
to have their ideas verified, or to give them a
shove in some direction.  So I had to be delicate
with them.  Often, I felt like an impostor,
because what I was doing had so much psychology
involved in it, and I'd had no formal training in
psychology.

	What amazed everyone, including me, was
how accurate I was, uncannily accurate.  I would
draw out of their handwriting a three dimensional
portrait of my client, in enough detail to create
the juice for an hour and a half of a
consultation.  They left convinced that
graphology worked and that I worked.  I parted
with them feeling exhausted, spent, wrung out, as
if I'd been dragged inside someone else's skin
for a couple of hours, had felt what they were
going through at this turning point in their
lives.  It took me hours to recover myself.  And
I'd swear I'd never do it again.  I can't say how
I survived these sessions time after time.  I
just did because I had the appointments made and
someone was counting on me.  I would start out
cheerful and energetic, full of communication,
animation and enthusiasm.  And over the hour or
so, I would become drained and all my energies
would transfer to my client, so that when we
parted, the client was full of energy and I was
on the verge of collapse.  I can't account for
this phenomenon.  It makes no sense in any
scientific way.  But, there it was.

	This was the early 1980s.  My sister, at
that time, had met her second husband, Bruce.
They had met at a Mensa gathering.  Mensa, the
organization of people with their high I.Q.s in
common, and maybe nothing else.  One of the
people in the bay area chapter of Mensa was the
director of The Court of Last Resort.  What the
Court of Last Resort did was search around the
country for people who were wrongfully
incarcerated.  They would try to bring up their
cases again in court and set them free: dispense
justice.  Do good deeds.  This man approached me
because my sister had recommended he do so after
I'd taken a look at Bruce's handwriting and
impressed them both.  I told her he should see a
doctor about his stomach.  Evidently, he'd been
mis-diagnosed for a while, and finally the
doctors had zeroed in on the real culprit which
was his stomach.  He'd recently had surgery to
fix it.  Luck, skill, or magic?  You be the judge.

	The Court of Last Resort wanted to employ
me (for free).  I was to take a look at a tall
stack of the handwriting of prisoners who all
claimed to be innocent of what they'd been
convicted.  They had all been tried and found
guilty of murder in the first degree.  The
problem, as the director put it, was that every
convict claimed to be innocent and of course that
couldn't be the case.  They needed to winnow out
who were the ones into whom they would put their
time and energies.  I was to peruse the
handwriting samples and tell the director which
of them was likely to be innocent.  Which of
these convicts was more or less incapable of
performing first degree murder?  Who were the sad
sacks who were in the wrong place at the wrong
time and were just hapless enough to get fingered
for something they didn't do?

	I decided to agree to take this task on,
because it might be less exhausting, since I
would be remote from the writers, and the whole
thing would be more objective.  I couldn't have
been more wrong.  The pile of writing I was
handed was filled with the most blood curdling
writing I'd ever seen.  Here were examples of
traits I'd only read about in books, but never
actually observed first hand.  There was
brutality, coarseness, violence, hysteria,
vengefulness, psychosis, perversions of every
kind.  There were elements of the handwriting
that seemed impossible for someone to make: huge
blotches and smears made with a ball point pen;
words that ran off the page; heavy clod-like
writing that tore through the paper.  It took the
breath out of me.

	There was one sample, however, that
scared me, sent my nerves rattling and my teeth
chattering.  I could hardly look at it.  It was
not the handwriting of a thug.  It was the
handwriting of a sociopath.  Here was someone who
could talk your socks off with your shoes still
on.  I told the director of the Court of Last
Resort to take that handwriting away from me, to
dispose of it in some thorough way, to bury it
under a cubic yard of soil, set it on fire and
disperse the ashes.  Wipe all trace of it off the
face of the earth.  I described the writer as a
liar, a clever actor and a man with no moral
anchor, a complete utilitarian, and someone with
no conscience at all.  This was someone who could
kill his mother without a hint of remorse, would
slit a throat to get at the head of the line,
someone who could design the deaths of numerous
innocent people because it furthered his casual
plans and pleased him to do so.  He was capable
of lying with such art that he could talk a sane
person into trusting him.  Whatever it was they
said he did that he claimed not to have done, he
did.  And probably more.

	The handwriting itself was ornate and
orderly, little loops and flourishes attached to
many of the letters that gave it the look of some
Spencerian script.  It was practised and
contrived.  It was calculating.  It gave me the
heebie jeebies.

	The director asked me if I wanted to hear
the guy's story.  I said yes.  This is what I was
told.  He was initially convicted of a multiple
murder to which he confessed.  Yes, he'd done it.
In the penitentiary, he was the model prisoner,
one everyone's best dressed list.  After being
incarcerated for a while, he escaped from prison
by convincing a guard to let  him out, and then
convincing the same guard that he needed his gun.
He fled to a trailer home and sweet talked his
way into the good graces of the family residing
therein.  The guard was found tied to a chair and
beaten senseless.  The family of five in the
trailer home were found splattered all over the
walls.  This one, he said he didn't do.

	 I had been working on the heap of
handwriting in a cafe when I came across this
man's letter.  My eyes were bugging out, my soul
withering, when a patron walked past me and
caught sight of the writing.

	"Oh, what beautiful writing.  Did you do that?"

                                 ‡ç‡ç‡ç‡ç‡ç‡ç‡ç‡ç‡ç‡ç‡ç‡ç‡ç‡ç‡ç‡ç‡ç‡ç‡ç‡ç‡
                                ‡Ç‡Ç‡Ç‡Ç‡Ç‡Ç‡Ç‡Ç‡Ç‡Ç‡Ç‡Ç‡Ç‡Ç‡Ç‡Ç‡
--

Tobie Helene Shapiro
Berkeley, California   USA