TheBanyanTree: Life Stories 178

Tobie Shapiro tobie at shpilchas.net
Tue Mar 13 07:38:05 PDT 2007

March 13, 2000000000000007

Dear Everyone Here,

	It's the birthday today.  Last minute, we
finally got Feyna and Meyshe to invite a few
friends for a birthday dinner.  I, wise to the
last minute certainty, had already ordered two
cakes.  Ha ha!  I feel so clever.  There will be
a small gathering of about eight people for
dinner, and we'll serve Matzo ball soup, apples
and squash, a beet salad, challah from the Grand
Bakery and cake.  Ooooh.  Maybe I ought to get
some ice-cream.  I have decided to give Meyshe
and Feyna a choice.  I will take them to Seattle
when we can schedule it, and they get their
choice: either a ride up there on the overnight
train, complete with a compartment for sleeping,
or we take the plane.  Then, they get the promise
fulfilled.  Way back when they were little, we
promised them that if they made it to their 20th
birthday without smoking, they'd each get five
hundred dollars.  So they both get a check.  That
ought to deplete me some.

	Happy birthday.

ssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss

SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§

Dinosaurs

	I was nine years old and all the rage
were plastic dinosaurs.  Dinosaurs are favourites
with all little kids.  There is something about a
house sized lizard with a brain the size of a
walnut that appeals to the young mind.  My sister
and I played dinosaur games in lieu of the usual
little girl fetish for baby dolls or worse yet,
Barbie.  We were almost too old for Barbie.  She
came out in 1959, and we were growing our own
figures by then.  We didn't need a pea brained
role model: breasts like rocket tips, feet formed
rigidly to fit into stiletto heels.  Dinosaurs
actually existed once, and we would learn the
names of the different kinds of dinosaurs, what
their habits were, what they ate, how big they
were.  Then that would all go out the window,
because we made up stories about them.  They were
usually on a voyage someplace, walking like they
did in Fantasia.  Our stories were bloodless.  We
did not favour the Tyrannosaurus Rex.  Too
vicious.  Too much tragedy.  Instead we stayed
with the vegetarians: Stegosauruses,
Brontosauruses, Triceratops, Diplodocuses.  There
was an array of carnivores that we kept in store,
because Tyrannosauruses and Pterodactyls always
came with the set.  But we converted them to
vegetarianism if we employed them in our games.
Here comes the big ol' friendly Pterodactyl,
flying in with a bale of ferns for all the baby
dinosaurs.  And Tyrannosaurus Rex distributes the
salad.  Wouldn't harm a fly.

	For my ninth birthday, my sister gave me
a whole troop of plastic dinosaurs.  She wrapped
them in toilet paper and lots of Scotch tape.
There was Scotch tape looped tightly around their
necks and Scotch tape around their legs, Scotch
tape on their tails and around their snouts.
This made it impossible to unwrap.  I needed
scissors to cut all the tape.  Much worse than a
brand new CD with that sadistic strip of tape
along the opening edge, the one that never comes
off in one piece.  For each dinosaur, I had to
perform major surgery just to get the toilet
paper off of them.  Dana thought this was
hilarious.  It was like giving me a present with
a stink bomb in it.  It made the whole gift
giving experience an act of hostility.  It wasn't
lost on me.  I complained to my mother, but Dana
played innocent.  It was all in good fun.

	But once all the dinosaurs were cleaned
and the tape peeled and sliced off of them, they
were my favourite toys.  I started collecting
them.  In those days, toy dinosaurs came in all
sizes and qualities.  You could get a bag of el
cheapo plastic dinosaurs, a variety pack of
lizards about two inches long that had obviously
been poured into molds because the extra plastic
that dripped outside the mold was still stuck to
them.  These had a funny rubbery smell to them,
too.  They were to be avoided.  And there were
cartoon like dinosaurs, puffy and stupid, with
big eyes and smiles on their mugs.  Those were
unfit to play with.  And there were larger
dinosaurs, about ten inches in length that had
some details on them.  The best were the ones
with realistic shapes and poses, that stood up
and didn't fall over when you set them down, also
with some colouration, shading, white teeth and
dark eyes, a little blush to the cheeks.  We had
a big box of them, all kinds.

	Oddly enough, we never named them.  Maybe
we felt you couldn't get too personal with an
oversized lizard.  We had a pair of Triceratops
with calm expressions on their faces, but they
didn't stand up right.  So we turned on one of
the electric burners on the stove and held their
legs to the red hot coil, urging them to bend,
flattening out the bottoms of their feet which
had a big seam coming up the center.  This did
not have the effect we'd hoped for.  Instead of
flattening out the feet, bending the legs, the
feet melted and plastic dripped down onto the
burner, stinking up the kitchen and producing a
plume of evil smoke that would have tripped an
alarm if we'd had them.  Now our Triceratops were
crippled war veterans who sludged alongside the
other dinosaurs but couldn't keep up and were
always falling over on their sides.

	We wanted our toys to be as authentic as
possible.  I had a little green Pterodactyl who
had the name of the manufacturer in raised
letters on its belly.  This just had to get
removed.  I took it upstairs into my parents'
bathroom because I knew that there were razor
blades in the medicine cabinet.  Very gingerly, I
held the razor blade and started to shave off the
brand name and patent information.  While I was
working on it, a red liquid got all over the
Pterodactyl and I was annoyed until I realized it
was my own blood, and the razor blade was
imbedded in the side of my middle finger.  I
dropped the dinosaur and the razor blade,
squeezed the wound and hid it from myself.  I
didn't want to see it.  I stamped my feet and
cried.  From downstairs in the kitchen, my mother
screamed up the stairs.

	"What happened!?"  She sounded worried,
and was coming up.  I ran out into the hallway
and told her I'd cut my finger with a razor
blade.  I was crying, holding my finger tightly.

	"Oh, thank goodness," she said, "I
thought Daniel had fallen off the roof."

	This took the wind out of me altogether.
My sliced finger was a relief?  Why did she love
Daniel so much more than she loved me?  My mother
washed my finger and wrapped a band-aid around
the wound.  I threw away the Pterodactyl.

--

Tobie Helene Shapiro
Berkeley, California   USA

tobie at shpilchas.net