TheBanyanTree: Life Stories 171

Tobie Shapiro tobie at shpilchas.net
Tue Mar 6 08:08:13 PST 2007

March 6, 2000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000007

Dear Old Timers,

	In the middle of the night, Meyshe came
into my room, groaning, then yelling.  He had an
ear ache.  Oh, he's been through this before.  I
looked in my cabinet for the magic ear drops that
would tide him over until I could get him to the
doctor in the morning.  I had none.  I called the
doctor's office.  Actually, Meyshe is still
seeing his pediatrician.  His body is mature but
his behaviour is often about a decade behind him.
I thought, as I dialed in the emergency call
number, that I should find him an adult doctor (a
doctor who is all grown up).  But I didn't let
much get in the way of attending to the
emergency.  He was moaning, curled up on the
floor in his underwear.  Five foot ten of him,
hairy legs, growth of beard, fully descended
testicles.   I told him to get dressed because
we'd likely be going to the emergency room. We
got dressed.  Four in the morning.

	The doctor called back in less than ten
minutes.  My mother answered the phone before I
could get to it, and I missed the introduction,
the one where she said which doctor she was.  So
I spoke to the nameless physician who told me to
give him Tylenol.  I said that that wouldn't
touch it.  She agreed.  I told her I didn't have
the magic ear drops that he had from the last go
around with ear infections.  She said to warm up
some olive oil, test it on the inside of my arm,
and put a little bit of the warmed olive oil into
the ear.  "That should work as well as the ear
drops would," she told me.  I doubted it.  "Bring
him in in the morning at 9:00 to the Berkeley
office."  That sounded like it would work.  "Poor
little guy," she said.  I told her he wasn't
little any more.  Five foot ten, a hundred eighty
pounds.  "Oh how time flies," she answered.

	I poured some olive oil into a measuring
cup and heated it up, ten seconds at a time, in
the microwave.  Then I sucked it up with a
syringe and had Meyshe lie down with his ear up,
facing the cure.  I squirted some olive oil into
his ear.  He said it didn't help.  He kept
yelling.  He paused to say that he was hungry.
We poured him some raisin bran.  He sat there,
pitifully, at the table, spooning it in.  After a
while he commented that the ear didn't hurt as
much when he was awake.  It was much worse while
he was dreaming.  So he didn't want to go back to
bed.  He said he'd stay up at the computer.
Which he did.  In the meantime, I got back into
my jammies and curled up in bed, set the alarm
for seven, and woke up at 6:30.  I went to check
on Meyshe.  I heard the computer puttering along
with internet noise.  I knocked on his door.  He
didn't answer.  I knocked a little louder.  He
didn't answer.  I knocked forcefully.  Nothing.
So I opened the door carefully and found him
crouched on his desk chair, asleep at the
computer.  I tiptoed out.

	Now, I'm waiting for the time to pass
before we have to leave to take him to the
doctor's office.  I don't want to wake him too
early if he's going to be suffering.  I feel all
hollow and there is a scrim between me and the
real world.  Up half the night.  Here's to
motherhood.

ŸŸŸŸŸŸŸŸŸŸŸŸŸŸŸŸŸŸŸŸŸŸŸŸŸŸŸŸŸŸŸŸŸŸŸŸŸŸŸŸŸŸŸ

†††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††

¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥

Chicks

	In the Spring, near Easter, when my
sister and I were very little and my brother had
not yet been born, you'd start to see these baby
chicks in the markets, furry little puff balls
with tiny beaks, all dyed pastel colours.  They'd
sell them to you by the half dozen, and put them
all in a cardboard tray.  You'd take the chicks
home in their tray and give them to your kids who
would coo and swoon at these cute things.  A pink
one.  A lavender one.  A yellow one.  A baby blue
one.  A chartreuse one.  An orange one.  They'd
run around in their tray doing whatever chicks
do: peck and hop, and, "cheep cheep cheep".  They
could fit in the palm of your hand.  You fed them
grain or bird seed, crumbs, whatever you found
around the house that seemed bird-like.   But of
course no city family was well equipped to care
for half a dozen baby chickens.  Once the city
kids got used to the colourful chicks, they
stopped nurturing them, and most of them would
get discarded.

	These cute chicks were actually a reality
time bomb.  The dying process that tinted them
all these pastel colours was eventually lethal to
them.  The vendors had dissatisfied customers
with weeping children and dead baby chicks on
their hands.  A lot of pastel grave mounds for
burying the deceased babies.  It was guaranteed
that they would die of this lovely, whimsical
tinting.  It was just a matter of time.

	How did the parents deal with this?  I
was just a kid, and didn't see this from the
parental viewpoint.  I saw it as a tragedy.
These poor creatures would only live a short time
before their colouring snuffed them out.  And
then, what could we do?  Buy more?  They'd only
die soon, anyway.  A pretty drastic thing to do
to make a seasonal killing, as it were, on the
market.  I don't remember how long they lived
from when we brought them home.  It wasn't
terribly long.  I have blotted out of my memory
the death throes of the pastel chicks.  All I
remember is how sweet they looked, how exotic it
was to watch these rainbow babies lurching around
in their tray.  We gave them names, of course,
and followed the instructions that they came with.

	It made a big noise when the consumers
started to squawk about the exploding chickens.
Eventually, they were taken off the market.  I
think lawsuits were filed.  What kind of monster
would strike up the plan to dye thousands of
freshly hatched chicks into sweet pastel colours
for sale around Easter, knowing that the
procedure would certainly kill them?  Did they
think no one would notice that they died an
unnatural death, that all of them, every last one
of them, would expire within a few days?  Was it
the SPCA who filed the first lawsuit against
them?  Or an irate filthy rich man with a wailing
young daughter.

	"Daddy, Daddy, the coloured chicks all
died.  Sue them, Daddy!  Sue them!"

	One year when the practice was still
legal, our father bought us a tray of rainbow
chicks.  I looked at them with great curiosity.
They were like a cartoon, unreal, part of another
universe.  We took the tray of them out to the
back yard and let them run around in the grass
while we watched them.  Dana was barefoot as she
observed them darting here and there.

	Then something awful happened.  Dana
stepped on one of the chicks.  It was quite
unintentional, and the realization horrified her.
The fuzzy little ball had crunchy bones inside
it, the soft tissue, muscle and feathers squished
up between her toes, and there was a terrible
crackling sound.  Dana screamed when she looked
down and saw the remains of the little fluffy
beast.  A bloody mess.  A pastel exterior, but
the same blood red interior.  She cried and
cried.  She cried from the shock; she cried from
the sense of loss.   She cried for having
accidentally slaughtered the chick who would have
died a more prolonged death, probably a more
painful one.

	It was my mother who took Dana off into
the bathroom to clean between her toes and wash
her foot under the faucet.  I don't know where my
father went off to.  Maybe he returned the rest
of the chicks to the store at which he got them.
Either way, they were doomed.  Either way our
consciences would gnaw at us, and give us no rest.

--

Tobie Helene Shapiro
Berkeley, California   USA

tobie at shpilchas.net