TheBanyanTree: Life Stories 170

Tobie Shapiro tobie at shpilchas.net
Mon Mar 5 07:19:45 PST 2007

March 5, 2000000000000007

Dear Luminaries,

	The sun is not up yet.  But I am.  I woke
up earlier than usual from a usual dream.  My
usual dreams are ones where I am off someplace
else where I've been for a long time, weeks,
maybe months.  Now I am ready with  my bags
packed, and I am trying to go home.  Going home.
Going home.  There is always something about
finding my car.  Where did I leave my car?  And
there is always something about public
transportation, finding the bus or trolley.
Frequently there is an airport and/or an
airplane.  I don't miss my flight or anything
else you might expect in a dream about going
home.  But in these dreams, I never actually
arrive home and sigh with relief.  In fact, even
though I am supposed to be going home, I have no
real idea where that is, nor what it looks like.
I just want to get there.

	I have no home?

™™™™™™™™™™™™™™™™™™™™™™™™™™™™™™™™™™™™™™™™™™™™™™™™™™™™™™™™™™™™™™™™™™™™™™™™™™™™™™™™™™™™™™™™™™™™™™™™™™™™
                              ‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡

Hooping

	I got awfully good at the Hula Hoop.  If
you've never heard of a Hula Hoop, I'll describe
it.  It was like a hoop made of plastic tubing
about an inch thick.  The hoop was about three
feet in diameter.  The idea was to get it
circling your waist, round and round, by
undulating your hips in rhythm, forward back,
forward back.  I got so I could keep it going
forever if I wanted to.  It wasn't just back and
forth.  There was a subtle writhe to it, a sexy
hula dance, hence the name.  I was eleven years
old when the Hula Hoop was Hot.  And it was very
hot.  They couldn't stock them in the stores.
Everyone had at least one.

	I envision one each for everyone in a
family with ten kids, all ten of them plus the
parents with the hoops swinging round and round
in various states of grace and awkwardness, but
keeping them aloft, all twelve with happy smiles
on their faces.   And they are saying, "We love
the Hula Hoop® (registered trademark).  It's good
exercize."  The mother and curvaceous daughters
(there are three curvy daughters) say in unison,
"And it keeps my figure trim and attractive."
The little ones, the seven, five and three year
olds are twirling away, though the three year old
has to start the thing turning again every other
moment.  Each time he tries to start it, it drops
with a clatter to the floor, and he has to stoop
down, pick it up in both hands, and try all over
again.  Whoops, no luck.  The little ones cry
out, gleefully, "It's FUN!"  And the baby,
sitting on the floor in diapers, is gnawing on
the hoop for a teething ring.  It's a family
affair.

	In our family, my brother was too young,
but my sister and I both had Hula Hoops.  She was
fair at it, but remember, part of her identity
was invested in seeing herself as clumsy, so she
kept dropping it.  She cursed, then she'd try
again.  Then it would flop after a while.  She'd
kick it, pick it up and get it started again.
She'd get it going for a while and then it would
spin down her legs to the floor and do its death
rattle.  She'd snatch it up off the floor in her
fist, curse at it, then throw it angrily across
the room against the wall.  Spackle is also a
family affair.

	I stood in the middle of my room hooping
before my cello lesson.  It was effortless.  It
was nearly boring, but I was counting the number
of revolutions it made around my waist.  I got
way up there in the hundreds, maybe a thousand.
I just know that it was an awfully long time and
while I was at it, the laser and the integrated
circuit were being invented, real live people
were being forced to sit in the back of the bus,
and the river Ganges  carried its mystic powers
by the cities along its banks.  I kept revolving,
rotating, spinning, twirling, counting.  After
about an hour, my mother called me.  It was time
to leave for my cello lesson.  I caught the hoop
in mid revolution and stopped my marathon.  I
could have gone on forever.

	Going on forever, though, could get
monotonous, so I started learning tricks.  I
taught myself to spin it round my waist and then
let it slide over my hips to my knees, and spin
it round my knees.  Then I learned to spin it
upwards toward my shoulders, lift my arms up and
work it up to my wrists.  I'd take it off my
torso with one wrist, transfer it to the other
wrist, lower it down to my neck.  From my neck,
I'd let it roll down to my waist again, then on
down to my knees, and finally to my ankles, first
one ankle, then the other ankle, both again, and
back up to my knees, to my waist.  Whatever could
be done with a Hula Hoop, I learned to do it.  It
was the only form of physical exercize that I
ever enjoyed.  Hours were spent swinging this
thing around and around my body parts, while the
world went on about its business.

	We heard about a Hula Hoop contest that
was going to take place at Children's Fairyland
in Oakland.  There would be judges and prizes,
and maybe the winner's picture in the newspaper.
I begged my parents to take me there.  For once,
there was something popular I could do well.
Everything else I did was arcane, rare, by and
large unappreciated.  I rode in the back seat
with my Hula Hoop beside me, fidgeting and
looking out the window.  The contest began at
10:00, a.m.  I lined up with the other
contestants, ranging in age from six to late
teens.  One of the judges stood at a microphone
and announced the procedure.  When he said, "Go!"
we were to start spinning and follow the
directions that would be shouted out.  If the
hoop should fall to the ground or receive any
help from our hands, we would be disqualified.  I
don't think that they judged us one at a time.
From what I remember, it was just the throng of
us, all spinning and hooping at the same time,
while the judges walked around taking notes.  All
the contestants eyed each other, sized up the
competition, got nervous, gulped and sweated a
little.  The judge said, "Go!"  I spun the hoop
at my waist with all the others.

	"Bring the hoop as low as you can," came over the loud speakers.

	I brought it to my knees, then lowered it to my ankles.

	"Bring it back up."

	I brought it back to my waist.

	"Now get it as high as you can."

	I wiggled it up to my shoulders, then my
neck and dipped my hand in to bring it up above
my head, twirling on my wrist, extended as high
as it could reach.

	"Back to your waist."

	I did so.

	There were a few men with cameras who
were snapping photos of all of us, wriggling and
gyrating, fused to our Hula Hoops.  The judges
told us to stop.  I stopped.  The contestants
eyed each other again.

	I think there were four judges.  They
each went into the group of hoopers and took
someone out to the side.  The rest were
dismissed.  I was among the four.  We were
invited to do our best, free form, as the supreme
judges watched, their keen professional eyes
focussed on the Olympian excellence of our
performances.

	I let out all the stops.  Waist, knees,
ankles, one ankle at a time, back up to the
waist, arm pits, off onto one wrist, then placed
it on my neck, kept it at my neck for long enough
to transfer it off onto my other wrist, lifted my
hand way above my head, added my other arm, spun
it on both my wrists, dropped it down to my
forehead, a new trick, then let it back down to
my waist again.  I was concentrating hard, and
didn't notice that everyone else had stopped Hula
Hooping.  I was the sole survivor.  I won.

	Never have I forgotten the scene or the
circumstances of a triumph so swiftly and
completely as my first place Hula Hooping
championship.  I forget how they informed me.  I
forget what they gave me, whether there was a
picture in the paper or a trophy, or just a,
"Thank you, ma'am".  I rode home in the car,
stunned.  When we got back home, I went up to my
room and started to twirl my hoop again.  It was
a seamless transition.  Ho hum.  I won.

--

Tobie Helene Shapiro
Berkeley, California   USA