TheBanyanTree: Life Stories 168

Tobie Shapiro tobie at shpilchas.net
Sat Mar 3 09:22:12 PST 2007

March 3, 20000000007

Dear Free Range Chickens,

	Feyna demonstrated her cutlery last
night.  I was her first trial presentation.  I
bought something.  She's a good saleswoman.  The
demonstration involved using some of our own
knives for comparison.  And, of course, our own
knives are crap.  Even the ones that aren't crap
are crap compared to the amazing Cutco knives.
Thing is, I use a Chinese cleaver for most
everything.  It slices, it dices, it scrapes, it
caries, it crushes, it pulverizes, it smacks
things like garlic.  It's your all purpose
kitchen knife.  And here was Feyna with all these
sharp knives, showing me just how perfect was
their construction, and how sharp their blades.
In fact they were so sharp that I cut my thumb
just by (stupidly) running it along the blade,
very gently.

	Unfortunately, the only thing I could use
was the "table knives", or steak knives.
Villainman took off with our good knives.  Well
that makes sense, they were his parents' set.  So
I am steak knifeless.  Oh, but not anymore!  I
have six table knives in a block, and for extra,
they just gave me a spatula spreader.  It turns
out that Feyna was the first person in her group
to make a sale, so she gets a prize, too.  She
was exhilarated by the experience.  She went to
bed happy.  My next task is to write up a list of
people that might enjoy a demonstration, and some
expert saleswomanship.  How many friends do I
have that I can lose?

                    CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC
                     ÇÇÇÇÇÇÇÇÇÇÇÇÇÇÇÇÇÇÇÇÇÇÇÇÇÇÇÇÇÇÇÇÇÇÇÇÇ
                     ccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccc

ççççççççççççççççççççççççççççççççççççççççççççççççççççççççççççççç

Out of the mouths of babes

	My mother had artist friends.  My mother
was an artist, actually.  I say, "was", because
she long ago put her brushes and tubes of paint
to pasture.  But the house has dozens of her
paintings hanging on the walls.  I was always so
proud of her.  I could tell my friends when
giving them the tour of our house, "My mother
made all the paintings."  I was in absolute awe
of her abilities.  She could draw, paint, make
props for theatre companies.  She could write
well, she could sing, and she even played the
piano when she was little.  She was smart,
brilliant even, she went to medical school, and
she was funny.  She could also laugh until tears
went streaming down her cheeks.

	Once, when I was about ten years old, she
met an artist friend of hers for lunch, and they
brought me along.  I was excited to be in the
company of artists.  People in the arts were my
heroes.  This friend was nuts, as were most of my
mother's friends.  But this one was particularly
nutso.  She was convinced that everything she did
was a work of genius.  She did abstracts, and
once brought a big painting on a piece of plywood
to our house because my father had an electric
table saw, and she had him cut the painting into
four equal smaller paintings.  So she had
magically produced three more works of great
genius to try to sell.

	I just tagged along.  The adult
contingent had selected the restaurant.  They
chose Jule's, a cafeteria type place very close
to campus, on Telegraph Avenue.  Jule's had been
there when my mother had gone to Cal from 1937 to
1941.  It was one big huge room with huge
reproductions of Picasso nude drawings on the
walls in white on gray.  They were robust women
drawn loosely and minimally.  Very gestural, the
artists would say.

	We stood in line with our trays and
ordered our food.  Then we carried our trays to a
table and sat in each other's company.  I
listened to what the artists had to say.  For
once, I was quiet.  I was usually a noisy
customer, full of babble and speak.  I had to be
shut up forcefully by repeated entreaties so
others could carry on.  But because I was in the
presence of artists, I quieted down considerably.
I can't remember what the artists got for lunch,
but I got a hamburger and a chocolate milk shake,
very thick.  While my mother and her friend
talked about whatever elevated things they
discussed, I busied myself with my hamburger.
Ketchup.  Ketchup and mayonnaise.  I took the
sour pickle slices off.  But I left in the onion
and lettuce, the tomato too.  I unhinged my jaw
to stuff this mammoth assemblage into my child
sized mouth.  When I'd been conquered by the
hamburger, I embarked on the milk shake.  The
milk shake, I could suck down with great
enthusiasm.  Meanwhile, above me, the
conversation went on and I tried weakly to attend
to it.  Grown ups talked about politics and
history.  They cited references and proved
points.  They were travellers in the big world,
the world that swarmed above my head.  I would
grow into it some day, but then, at ten, a guest
of the artists at Jules Cafeteria on Telegraph
Avenue in 1957, I was far too small for it all.

	I finished my lunch, and sat in my chair
waiting for something to happen on my level.  But
it didn't.  I swung my legs forward and back in
my chair.  I looked at Picasso's women folk.  I
played with the napkin holder.  I wrapped my feet
around the legs of the chair, hooking my toes
about the front two legs.  I swung my feet some
more.  For me, it was time to leave.  They hadn't
even finished their lunches.  I looked around the
cafeteria at the very older and wiser diners.
They were mostly students at the University, but
to me, they were adults.  They were part of the
great siblinghood of grown-ups who ran the world
and knew what to do.

	I sat there being very patient.  I could
feel how patient I was.  I was patient to the
point of expiration.  I diddled with my
silverware.  The knife could fit in between the
tines of the fork.  The spoon could work as a
lever and lift the knife and fork, separately or
together.  The room echoed with the noisy chatter
and clatter.  My mother and her friend weren't
paying any attention to me at all.  I decided to
yawn.  A big cavernous yawn was called for.  I
threw my head back and opened my mouth.   A deep
rolling, rumbling, reverberating belch came
thundering out of me.  This greps was the greps
of a corpulent gray haired, balding, sloppy old
fart, who had lungs that could hold the air of a
thousand deep breaths.  Someone who could holler
one long, "Yee haw!" that would go on for longer
than it took the western sun to set and the
cattle to go to sleep.  It lasted forever, and it
belonged to me, a tiny ten year old.  It shut up
the whole restaurant.  There was complete silence
as I finished my eructation.  I was like the
miniscule jalopy in the circus act that fifty
clowns climb out of.

	My mother and her friend stopped what
they were doing and saying and stared at me in
disbelief.  That moment of awestruck wonder
lasted for several beats before they burst out
laughing.  I shrunk into my turtle shell and
tried to make my head disappear.  I was not going
to disappear.  Everyone had noticed me now.  The
whole of Jule's Cafeteria was staring at the
wunderkind.  They'd been forced to.  I was the
little girl who burped.  A legend.  An artist!

--

Tobie Helene Shapiro
Berkeley, California   USA

tobie at shpilchas.net