TheBanyanTree: Life Stories 226

Tobie Shapiro tobie at shpilchas.net
Fri Jun 22 16:56:35 PDT 2007

June 22, 200007

Dear Standard Bearers,

	I can't seem to get myself moving.  This
morning, I've yawned, big gaping, involuntary
yawns, about 40 times.  I don't know what's
gotten into me.  And listless?  A little
depressed?  The feet just don't want to shuffle.
I force myself to go through the motions.
Instead of writing out Life Stories 226, I have
actually folded laundry.  I have put my slippers
on, then taken them off and put shoes on, then
taken the shoes off and put the slippers back on.
A little case of what the hell am I doing.  Once
again, I am a mystery to me.  And I don't have
much energy to try to figure it out.  This
morning, Meyshe has a dental appointment at
11:30.  That ought to supply some excitement.
Fluoride rinse.  Okay, Meyshe, spit.  Don't eat
anything for half an hour.

                               ¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶

Girl Talk

	The warnings and undocumented lore about,
"starting your periods," increased in number,
exponentially, the closer we girls in school all
got to our expected first menstruation.  Most
everyone I knew had started their monthly
bleeding by the time they were twelve or
thirteen.  They were like a secret society, with
its own special handshake, rituals and language.
They talked among themselves about sanitary
napkins, and the elastic belts with alligator
clips dangling down in front and back to latch
onto either end of the sanitary padding.  They
talked about bloating and cramps, breaking out,
which day they were on.  They talked about
periods being heavy, light, really heavy.  They
talked about four and five napkin days, two
napkin days.  They talked about being on and off
their periods.  They called it, "the curse," "the
hex," "my monthly," "being on the rag."  Some
referred to it as, "coming sick."  It was,
"woman's time, "Eve's punishment," "my damn
period."  They borrowed napkins and tampons from
each other, gave each other dimes and quarters to
buy an emergency sanitary pad from the machine in
the girls' bathroom.  They did trade in remedies
for cramps, headaches, a case of the menstrual
blues.  They laughed at each others' stories
about explosive tempers, emotional break downs,
sudden unexplainable downpours of tears.  They
shared extreme tales, about the worst cramps, the
worst pre-menstrual depressions, the longest
lasting period, the most copious bleeding, the
worst accidents with bleed throughs, soaked
padding, being unprepared when they started their
periods unexpectedly.  At this age, they were too
young to exchange horror stories about missed or
late periods.

	All of this was owned by the special, the
initiated, the ones who had come of age.  I had
not yet.    And no matter the logical, clinical
instruction from my mother, no matter the "girls
only" movie shown in the sixth grade, the
evidence of healthy women and girls who had these
monthly visits, no matter.  All it took was a
little bit of phoney baloney, a piece of
misinformation, to scare the hell out of me.
Some smart classmate intimated that when you
start your periods, you start suddenly, and you
bleed like a stuck pig.  This I believed.  So
from the time I was twelve until the time I
started my bloody periods at nearly fifteen, I
crept about, fearful, trying to be ready for the
inevitable event.  Someday, when I least expected
it, I would explode from the womb out, and become
a fountain of blood.

	When I finally had my first period, it
appeared as just a drizzle of dark gooey blood in
my underwear.  It was after gym class.  I just
went into the stall to pee before going to my
next class, and there it was, like the residue on
a used band aid.

	I fell apart.  I shook and cried, said,
"Oh no," and, "Not me".  I wasn't happy to,
"become a woman".  There was nothing I could see
about being a woman that made the basic
existential angst easier to bear.  It was all a
negative.  I stuffed some paper towels in the
crotch of my underwear, expecting the torrent of
blood, and I got home after school as fast as I
could.  My sister had a large box of sanitary
napkins in her closet, and I swiped one, leaving
no trace of my invasion, and safety pinned it to
my underwear.  I contemplated this awful awful
thing.  Then I stood in front of the bathroom
mirror at home, staring into my new woman's face,
allowing the tragedy of existence to sweep over
me, carry me away.

	I had thought maybe I could stave this
off, never have to ooze on over into womanhood.
I was bleeding just a little bit, but I was
bleeding, like all the other girls at school,
like all the poor sorry women who had gone before
me.  It meant that I would have to take my place
among the other females, with hair-dos and
make-up, and fetching new shoes, with their nails
painted and their ears glued to the telephone
talking about boys, about boys who never had to
bleed once a month, who didn't have to pay any
price for being male.  They just had their
precious equipment hanging off of their bodies,
vulnerable, could get bit off by an angry racoon
at any moment.  The men arrived with their penile
accoutrement, and gave fifteen seconds of their
time, leaving an instinct addled female pregnant
and glowing, fifteen seconds and he was done,
given his contribution, no guilt, no attachment.

	I looked in the mirror and contemplated
my death by hormones.  I feared the self delusion
that would ensure that I wound up with someone
like my father.  How would I be able to tell the
true character of a man until it was too late?
If my mother hadn't seen clearly enough to have
run like hell when she met my father, what
guarantee did I have that I would be more
prescient, more objective, wiser?  Soon, the
chemical balance in my body and soul would be out
of my control.  Who knew what I would do when the
woman sickness took over?  And if my father had
come after me before this involuntary bleeding,
think what was in store for me when all these
amazing miracles transformed my sexless body into
that of a curvy, seductive woman.

	Doom descended upon my pate.  I went into
the medicine cabinet and brought out a bottle of
some prescription medication.  I emptied all the
pills into my open hand and had an argument with
myself about swallowing them all.  Did I have the
courage purposefully to remove myself from the
world?  Or would I back down, too weak to do it?
I loathed myself.  I'd had enough of me and my
stupid dilemmas.  Just get rid of me.  There was
an unfortunate and creepy romance to it.  Kill
yourself.  You have started your menstrual
cycles.  It's time to croak.  I looked for a sign
to tell me what to do.

	Then my cat, Thai, walked silently into
the room, wove herself in and out of my legs.
She sat down next to my feet, closed her eyes,
and began to purr.  No, I couldn't kill myself.
I had to take care of my cat.  She needed me.  I
had that purpose.  I shoveled the pills back into
the bottle and gave in to my irksome
acknowledgement of my goddamn will to live.

	I had defeated myself.

	Now what was I going to do?

--

Tobie Helene Shapiro