TheBanyanTree: Back In The Day

Theta theta at garlic.com
Sat Jan 27 13:43:23 PST 2007

Dee wrote:

>What we had when I was growing up was the good old-fashioned radio. Ours
>was a table model Cathedral style Philco. .....What great radio programs
>we got to listen to. Boston Blackie. The Green Hornet. The Shadow. The
>Cisco Kid. The Roy Rogers Show. Jack Benny.

Ah, yes, the memories of radio.  In the early 60s my father was stationed
in Germany, and there was no television there, either.  Well, there was
television - one Armed Forces station that was on the air for 2 hours a
day, mostly news, and there was a German tv station we could get.  I
remember watching the Lone Ranger in German.  Instead of saying "how!"
Tonto said, "Wie gehts?" which means "how are you."  But we did have radio.
All those that you mentioned, Dee, plus Johnny Diamond, Ellery Queen, Tales
of the Texas Rangers, and Red Skelton.  Ohmagosh!  I'd laugh so hard at Red
my sides would hurt.  Got to find some of those shows and down-load
them.   I think listening to a story makes your brain work harder than
watching it on tv, and so it becomes a stronger memory.

All that being said, though, I like it now just fine,
thankyouverymuch.   Satellite tv, mp3 players, cell phones and pda's - I
love 'em all.

Theta