TheBanyanTree: Back In The Day

Dee Churchill deecee at toast.net
Fri Jan 26 20:49:40 PST 2007

You may have seen it as it's been passed around in email, that hilarious
post detailing all the ways in which the current Over 30 crowd had it
tough, compared to today's kids. One point made was, "Sure, we had cable
television, but back then that was only like 15 channels and there was
no onscreen menu and no remote control! You had to use a little book
called TV Guide to find out what was on."

This immediately prompted a response from a member of the Over 40 group.
"You wanna talk about TV?" she asked. "We had one, a 13" black and white
-- that's right, no color. We got a color TV when I was 7 but we could
only get three channels, none of them clear, because in the town where I
grew up, there WAS no cable in 1980!"

Heh, heh. If you think the Over 60 group can't beat that, you haven't
been paying attention. Although it existed in other parts of the
country, we didn't get TV on the south coast of Oregon until I was about
17-18 -- 1956 -- and it was black and white and very snowy.

What we had when I was growing up was the good old-fashioned radio. Ours
was a table model Cathedral style Philco. It couldn't have been more
than a couple of feet high, if that, because I sneaked it under the
covers one night so I could listen to Inner Sanctum. That was simply an
extension of hiding under the covers with a book and a flashlight after
lights out was called. Except the books weren't forbidden. Inner
Sanctum, however, was judged too scary for one of my tender age. (Eight
or nine, I think -- totally bloodthirsty, of course.)

Well, I only got to try that once. Just when the program was getting to
the good part, Mom whipped the covers away and marched off with the
Philco, heedless to my pleas and abject begging. It had never occurred
to me the grownups might listen to that stuff after we kidlets went to
bed or that they might actually miss a piece of furniture not in its
accustomed place.

I don't mean to claim we were deprived without television. Of course we
weren't. How could we miss what didn't even exist? And, oh! What great
radio programs we got to listen to. Boston Blackie. The Green Hornet.
The Shadow. The Cisco Kid. The Roy Rogers Show. Jack Benny.

Oh, Jack Benny. Now there is an example of what wonders your imagination
can produce. I listened to Jack Benny for years and always loved the
episodes where he went down to his vault to visit his money. When Jack
and the rest of us finally graduated to television, I could hardly wait
to see an episode showing that fabulous vault. You know what? I was
sorely disappointed. My vault was far more impressive than their version.

I find that happening in other contexts, too. Think of the difference
your imagination makes if you read the book first and then see the
movie, instead of the other way around. For that matter, think about the
different visual associations you have when you hear a song before you
see it in a music video. In a way, we lose something when other people
present us with the picture before we can create our own.

That's why I don't think today's kids really have it better, where the
imagination is concerned. Not worse, either. Just different. But, man,
you should have seen my version of the vault!

Hugs, Dee
Coffee Bean Goddess
http://cbg-dee.blogspot.com