TheBanyanTree: Life Stories 133

Tobie Shapiro tobie at shpilchas.net
Sat Jan 27 08:14:06 PST 2007

January 27, 20000000007

Dearests,

	Meyshe's occupational therapist took him
to see Berkeley City College on Wednesday.  It's
a big new building in downtown Berkeley.  He
loved it.  He came home with catalogues and
fliers and began marking all the classes he
wanted to take.  Art classes mostly because they
don't have a music department.  I cringe.  No
music department.  He's excited about college.
I'm excited about it too, but in a different way.
I worry about his trip to the campus on public
transportation.  Everything would be fine until
something went wrong, and then it would be a
disaster.  For instance, what if he missed his
stop.  He can't deal with crises.  It would be a
crisis and he'd fall apart.  This means the big
guy has to have a cell phone, so he can call me
if he gets into trouble.  Can I afford this?  I
am so worried about money matters.  I've got a
big chunk of money in the bank waiting to plug it
into a house, but it isn't enough money to buy a
house in Berkeley.  DO YOU KNOW WHAT REAL ESTATE
IS LIKE IN BERKELEY?!  Everything costs over a
million dollars.  There are junk houses out there
for a million dollars.  It's shameful.  So, I'll
have to take on a mortgage.  Now where is my
monthly funding coming from?  Disability, the
little amount the kids get from social security
as adult disabled people.  Then there is supposed
to be a special needs trust funded by my ex,
villainman, so that there would be money for
raising Meyshe and Feyna, but he is refusing to
fund the trust with enough money to make any
difference, and he wants to trade that for
spousal support and child support.  So a couple
thousand dollars a month will turn into a couple
hundred.  When villainman retires, I'll get part
of his pension.  This mother is scared.  The kids
have a couple hundred in medications every month
alone, and at least a hundred a week in lessons.
Oy.  I can't go on.  This is Shabbos and I have
to keep it clear.  No more worries.  I banish
them.  Until tomorrow.  Tomorrow, we go to the
vault where our possessions are stored and
rummage through to find certain items we are
missing sorely.  It will cost me plenty.  They
have assigned three men to meet us there and
fling around the crates and furniture.  Two hour
minimum.  There goes $340 clams.

	What did I say about banishing the worries?

                                      CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

çççççççççççççççççççççççççççççççççççççççççççççççççççççç
                                          ÇÇÇÇÇÇÇÇÇÇÇÇÇÇÇÇÇÇÇÇÇÇÇÇÇÇÇÇÇ

In the boonies

	Alice Ratcliff played the violin very
well.  In junior high school, we were paired off
frequently to rehearse music together.  She was
the third, I think, of six Ratcliff children.
Her father was an architect, the son of the
famous Walter Ratcliff whose signature
architectural vision shines out from many bay
area official buildings and grand homes.  He was
the principal architect in designing Mills
College - beautiful collonnades and grand
entrance ways, lots of windows, elegant and
soaring.  Alice's father was also a reknowned
architect.  The firm was well known and the
dynasty highly respected.  So, let's get this
succinct.  Alice's father was an architect.
Alice's mother, likely as not, was pregnant.

	They lived in a house her father had
built on Panoramic Way, one of the narrowest,
twistiest streets in Berkeley that climbs up to
the top of the hills.  It is impossible to
navigate Panoramic Way.  If a car meets you
coming from the opposite direction, someone is
going to have to back up a long long way to let
the other one pass.  Some of the hairpin curves
are impossible to swing in one try.  You have
really to want to live on that street if you are
going to survive it.

	In junior high school, Alice and I were
close friends.  One of us was going over to the
other's house after school on a frequent basis.
Alice had a sunny personality and was an
optimist, which mystified me.  My people were not
sunny.   We were cloudy with a chance of showers,
and we were not optimists, either.  There was
always a reason to rue something, and always
plenty of room for mourning over our miserable
lot.  So Alice was a healing salve on the mortal
wounds of my upbringing.  Her family was unusual,
even bizarre, in that according to Alice, her
parents loved each other.  Who had ever heard of
such a thing!?  She once told me that all six of
them suspected that their parents could hardly
wait for them to grow up and leave home so they
could be alone together.  They seemed remarkably
free of the sturm und drang that I was used to.

	The family had a pet spider monkey named
Daisy May.  Daisy May exhibited all the tell tale
psychological motivations of a human being.  When
she was angry, she would throw her feces around
her cage.  When she was jealous, she would rattle
the bars and scream.  And Alice knew how to get
Daisy May inflamed.  She told me to pretend to
choke her, so we put on an act for Daisy.  It was
a lousy act, but it worked beautifully.  I
grabbed Alice around the throat, faked shaking
her head around.  Alice gave out gasping noises.
Daisy May went wild, jumping up and down and
hollering bloody murder.  It wasn't nice of us.
But it was a good illustration of monkey
behaviour.  Evidently Daisy May got jealous if
any outsider was friendly with the Ratcliffs.
And according to Alice, monkeys just got worse as
they got older.  They got crotchety, finicky,
snappish, surly and forgetful.  Daisy May was
getting older.  I was a little afraid of her.
She was too human.

	Alice's father, being an architect, had
designed and built a country home for the eight
of them up in Mendocino county near the ocean,
out in the boonies, about two hundred miles north
of Berkeley, the foggy forests of California.
The country house had a main common area and then
a connection to the sleeping quarters.  The kid
all slept in bunk beds, and there were extras for
guests.  Alice invited me up to the cabin, and I
accepted.

	We drove up with Alice's older sister,
Polly, and Polly's friend whom we called, simply,
"Applebee."  The drive is about five hours
because of the windy mountain roads, and we were
going to set off early so we could be there by
the mid afternoon.  But traffic being what
traffic is, and slow starts being a hallmark of
large families trying to move forward, inch at a
time, we didn't get out of Berkeley until early
afternoon, and by the time we hit the curly
mountain roads, it was dusk.  It was also raining
badly, voluminously.  The rain came down in
sheets as Polly tried to navigate the narrow
curving road, the headlights hitting the fog
straight on, and lighting up only a cloud.  Then
as we were in our third game of "ghost", the
windshield wipers gave out.  We were in the
middle of nowhere and it was Sunday to boot.  We
looked for a gas station, Polly driving while
sticking her head out the open window.  We found
a gas station.  It was a tiny, one pump affair at
one of the rare intersections on the way up.  But
of course it was closed, and we all thought of
bedding down for the night inside the car,
waiting out the storm, and then continuing.  But
there was no guarantee of it letting up.  How
long would we be stuck there?

	"Won't your parents get worried when it's
late and we haven't shown up?  We kind of have to
keep going, don't we?"

	"They probably wouldn't even notice,
we're such a crowd, but you're right,"  Polly
admitted.

	We had to improvise.  We found a skein of
string lying on the ground in the gas station
lot, and we confiscated it.  We cut off one
length of string, tied one end to the windshield
wiper in front of the driver and ran the other
end of it through the driver's window so Polly
could hold onto it.  Then we cut off another
length of string, tied one end to the same wiper
blade and ran the other end of it through
Applebee's window so she could hold onto it.
They got their pulling in sync, and alternated so
the windshield wiper worked manually.  Alice and
I made up a little work song so that Polly and
Applebee could stay in rhythm.

	"Pull Polly
	Pull Applebee
	Pull Polly
	Pull Applebee
	Pull Polly
	Pull Applebeeeeeeeee
	Pull Polly
	Pull Applebee"

	We sang that all the way up the mountain
road until it evened out and we turned off to the
cabin.  We made it at eight o'clock at night, all
of us soaked and thrilled out of our gourds.

	We ate a cold leftover dinner and dragged
our bags to the sleeping barracks.  Alice
directed me to the bottom bunk and she took the
top one over me.  We slept so soundly that
nothing could have awakened us, except the other
Ratcliffs shouting, "Wake up! Breakfast!"  I got
up out of the bunk and my feet nearly stuck to
the floor it was so cold.  I got dressed inside
my sleeping bag, and we rushed to the commons,
leaving puffs of breath in our wake.

	Alice and I took a walk in the woods, and
we came across a pile of bones.  We could only
guess at what sort of animal they belonged to,
but it was an exciting find.  We went back for a
shovel, pail and spoons, and returned to recover
the rest of the bones.  We dug into the wet earth
and scrubbed at the bones, removing soil from
around them with the spoons.  Pretty much, we
stole away with an entire skeleton in the pail.
We thought we should clean it and bring it to Mr.
Williams' science class when school got back in
session.  We decided that the thing to do would
be to boil the bones in water until all the
flesh, fur and connective tissue fell off of
them.  It took hours.  And while our stew was
boiling on the stove, we took another walk
outside past the neighbors who owned acres and
acres of land.  We walked alongside a huge field,
the perimeter contained by a wooden fence.  It
seemed the property went on forever, and we
nearly forgot it was there.  Could anyone own
such an expanse?  After a while a horse trotted
up to the fence and ambled alongside us, snorting
and whinnying.

	"That's a crazy horse," Alice commented.
"It chases people.  The owners have to keep it
inside the fence.  It bites."  Just as she said
this, we strolled past an open gate.  The horse
excused itself from its pasture land and escaped
through the opening.  Then it drew a little bead
on my head.  Or did I start running first?  I
raced away back down the road the way we came, my
body pumped full of adrenalin, my legs working
faster than they'd ever worked before.  The horse
followed in noisy pursuit.  I could hear its
hooves tramping the dirt, and its breath, heavy
and purposeful.  I was being pursued by a crazy
horse.  Where was I going to go for safety?  A
woman driving a station wagon approached.  I have
no idea how fast she was going, but I headed
straight for the door, yanked it open and dove
into the front seat.  Then I apologized to the
bewildered woman, explained breathlessly that the
horse was intending to kill me.  I ducked down in
the seat as if I thought that the horse, if it
saw me, would open the door after me and pull me
out by its teeth into the street.  I told the
woman where I was staying.

	"Oh, the Ratcliffs.  A friend of the mob?"

	I couldn't answer her.  She drove me up
to the front door.  The horse was nowhere to be
seen.  Maybe at that moment it was tearing poor
Alice to shreds, or holding up a liquor store.  I
entered sheepishly, ashamed of my cowardice, and
crawled to the barracks where I lay down on top
of my bunk and pouted vigorously.  Soon enough,
Alice came in.  She sat on my bed and looked at
me dolefully with huge sad eyes and a face of
mock misery.  I smiled.  We went to the kitchen
to make a batch of brownies.  We ate the batter.

--

Tobie Helene Shapiro
Berkeley, California   USA

tobie at shpilchas.net