TheBanyanTree: Life Stories 122

Tobie Shapiro tobie at shpilchas.net
Tue Jan 16 08:24:42 PST 2007

January 16, 20000000000000000007

Dear Those of You Who Give a Good Hot Damn,

	Feyna has this friend, actually two
friends: her old friend Natalie whom she met in a
social skills group five years ago, and Natalie's
friend, Alex, whom Natalie met when she was going
to school in Monterey a year ago, and whom Feyna
met when she went down to visit her there.  The
three have become inseparable, and having friends
has been invaluable to Feyna who never could hang
out with anyone until now.  She is beginning to
spread her wings, and this is good.

	What isn't good is Alex.  He lies.  He
connives.  He changes his mind every week about
his destiny.  He's moved from place to place,
convincing Feyna that she really ought to go to
school in the new place he has set himself up.
He listens to hard rap music, eschews culture,
makes fun of other people, looks down his nose at
everyone (God only knows the things that he's
said about me while I'm not in the room, even
though I've taken him out to dinner and invited
him over dozens of times), is verbally abusive to
Feyna, swears all the time, I mean really swears.
He tells her what to wear, had her wearing slutty
hoop earings for a few days, and he told her to
shave under her arms because it was not easy on
the eye.  She actually did shave.  But rebelled
after that.  I can never get a handle on where
his job is, and how many hours he is working,
what religion he considers himself to be this
week (one parent was Jewish, the other Catholic),
where he is living.  He says he owns two
condominiums and cannot sell one because it has
to be fixed up and he can't afford to fix it up.
Many crises happen to him, only to clear up
suddenly for no apparent reason.  I do not say he
makes these things up, but they don't make sense
the way he tells them.  There is always some
group of facts that shine as fantasy, or
exaggeration.

	Feyna and Alex are not an item, but she
has stayed overnight at his condominium numerous
times.  Currently, he has one condominium in San
Francisco's Hunter's Point, the most dangerous
neighborhood in S.F., and one in Danville in
Contra Costa County, out through the tunnel on
the eastern side of the Berkeley/Oakland hills.
Yet he is crying that he hasn't the money to stay
where he is (though I can't keep up with where he
is staying.  He is holding down two condos at the
age of 19?)  He hates his parents and bad mouths
them always, hates Natalie's parents and makes
fun of them constantly.  But he has control over
these two young women as if he were a Svengali.
Oh yes, I know that's a common complaint with
parents of young women: the Svengali that stole
their daughters away.  Now Alex is saying that he
has to move to ... Nevada ... because it's
cheaper to live there, and he can get a job there
that pays over $260,000 a year (um.  come again?)
so he can go to school in Nevada.  He has cousins
there who are anxious for him to move there.  Of
course, if this were the case, he could move up
to Nevada for a few months and take home enough
money to choke a horse with, to afford being
here.  But logic does not hold.  Okay.  So he's
threatening to move to Nevada, and Natalie and
Feyna are beside themselves with grief.  What to
do?  What to do?  Well, Alex proposed last night
that the only way he could stay here would be if,
and he didn't like to say this, Natalie and Feyna
pooled their resources and moved in with him,
maybe in Sacramento (90 miles from here, inland
and hot as Hades).

	So you'd be supporting him?  I asked her.
She was pleased that I didn't explode.  I told
her that I didn't explode because I didn't think
she was stupid enough to do this.  With an
unstable kid whose stories don't add up, who
moves every few weeks, who changes his mind about
his destiny and what he has to do every few days,
who has scuttled Feyna's opportunities to meet
other guys (she just met one through Match.com
and I warned her that Alex would be jealous and
might try to make a play for her, or figure out
some way to get in between her and the new
fella).  I had to tell Feyna that if she does
this, I cannot stop her.  She is almost 20 after
all, and I know she will do what she feels she
must do.  But if she does, I am not going to help
her out financially.  She will be all on her own,
making a living, paying for school and books,
food, clothing, shelter, medical expenses, visits
with her neuropsych who is in Berkeley.  It will
be her leap to independence.  She accepted that
with surprising equanimity.  She says she's not
thrilled about this plan, but it was the only way
to keep him from moving to Nevada.  I've asked
why this boy doesn't get a student loan to make
his way through college (he's a psych major!).
She says that Alex's financial advisor told him
he couldn't afford it.  What smells funny here?

	This is what I'm dealing with lately.  Your comments are welcome.

                            
                             VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV

The Frenchman

	While I was in New York doing what I
called, "Chasing the music business," I did take
time out to go to museums.  This was in 1975, a
full four years before Warner Jepson and I
flattened out a flat at Westbeth and worked on,
"Humpty D.".  I was still my zaftig self, staying
with Eugen, the German chemist in his Passaic,
New Jersey apartment in that city my father oozed
up in.

	New York City is an exciting place.
Within a few minutes of landing in New York, I am
introduced to people in the arts and sciences who
are at the top of their fields and at the top of
their games.  They are very much alive with their
work and know what they are about, as opposed to
this insecure talented artist who was very much
alive with her work, but didn't know what she was
about.  In New York, since so much is going on,
it's easy to get distracted.  And I got
distracted a lot.

	I took myself to the Metropolitan Museum
of Art, went up the grand wide staircase, inside
the grand entrance, and all around the exhibits.
I can't remember if museums were still free then.
Yes, children, there was a time before Ronald
Reagan when everybody could afford a trip to the
museum.  You could just walk in the door and own
the place, the same as Mr. Rockefeller, the same
as Madame Speaker of the House.

	I knew there was a special floor reserved
for musical instruments.  I asked the nice docent
where to go.  The third floor, she said.  You can
take the elevator.  I was already excited,
waiting for the elevator to come.  I'd heard
about the exhibit of musical instruments from all
over the world, and this was what I'd come to
see.  All the zithers you could shake a stick at,
so many crumhorns they could blow you away.  When
the door opened onto the third floor, I saw the
portals to the exhibit and I passed through those
portals into heaven on earth.  All in glass cases
were instruments from every island and continent,
organized by location and type of instrument.  In
fact, I was not, at that moment, good at figuring
out how the place was organized.  I was too
ecstatic.  Drums found after WWI in the desert in
North Africa, made out of helmets, skulls and
stretched skin.  A case full of Stradivariuses, a
whole family put together from his workshop.
Indian stringed instruments, the ones intricately
inlayed with silver and gold, many many strings,
many sympathetically vibrating strings.  European
versions of bag pipes, Russian balalaikas.  Asia
was strongly represented with Chinese mouth
organs (the Sheng) and stringed boxes (the Erhu).
There were hurdy-gurdies, pianos from every era,
percussion sections that were beat on by every
colour hand, invented instruments made by some
people with bizarre imaginations.  There was
history, beauty, the soaring hope of Homo Sapiens
Sapiens.  I was completely overcome.  I was
deliriously happy.  I was looking through the
glass aching to break past it and touch, try out
each of these instruments, see how it felt in my
hands, get a sound out of it, worship the wild
diversity and the mysterious song that is sung
through every culture.  I stepped back from the
glass, half expecting to be ordered to step back
from the glass.

	"Keep your hands in the air, Miss.  Do as
I say, and no one will get hurt."

	What I noticed as I stepped back was my
reflection.  And behind me was the reflection of
someone else watching me.  I turned around.
There was a man, about my age, staring at me.

	"Oh.  Sorry," I said, reflexively.

	He answered in a thick French accent that
he was amused by my excitement, and that I must
enjoy music very much.  He struck up a good
conversation.  And, did I say that museums are
the best places to meet single members of the
opposite sex?  We walked out of the museum
together and had coffee somewhere, anywhere.  He
lived in Montreal.  He was going back in a day
and a half.  Would I follow him up there?  Just
for a spell.  I could stay with him.  He taught
French to adults in a continuation education
program.  He could show me the city, a wonderful
city, he said.  I had never done anything so
foolish in my life, so exciting, so blatantly
stupid, and I decided to go.  I booked a flight
and notified Eugen that I was going to Montreal
to see a friend.  I was not fully honest with
him, but I didn't outright lie.  I was sleeping
with Eugen while I was connected to Harry back in
San Diego, and I would be sleeping with Bernard
Dufayard in Montreal, while I was sleeping with
Eugen in Passaic.  This looks tawdry.  Just
thinking about it brings up the shame molecule.

	Montreal was a wondrous city.  Bernard
Dufayard lived in a dingy greasy flat at the top
of a four story walk up.  It was a two and a half
room apartment.  His bed was a mattress on the
floor, and I should have been afraid of catching
something, but I forged ahead.  The whole visit
escapes me.  I remember three things well.  With
a bunch of French Canadians we went up to a
country farm where the owners rented out a mess
hall to anyone who could pay.  They roasted a
lamb over a spit and served a many course country
meal.  Everything was in French and I didn't
understand a thing.  They sang a drinking song
and each person was supposed to slog down a
jigger of Calvados very quickly, one long
continuous gulp, while everyone else sang.  It
went around the table.  I didn't drink, and I
wanted to pass, but they actually forced me to
drink this fire water against my will,
practically holding me down while they poured it
down my gullet.  I was a spoil sport and spit it
out on the grass.  I was not well liked after
that.  And I remember one morning Bernard getting
up to go to teach French looking in the mirror
while shaving, rehearsing to himself, "Good
morning.  My name is, 'Your French teacher'."
Then I remember my climbing over Bernard in Bed
to reach something on the other side of him.  He
was fast losing his appeal for me, with his
preaching about revolution, his arrogance, and
his lack of couth.  He said, "You have zee nice
ass.  And you know how to show eet to me."  His
idea that I would purposefully display my rump to
him was preposterously narcissistic.  I rolled my
eyes.  Then he said, "Do you stay here wiss me,
becawse I am zee good lovaire?"  And I couldn't
miss my cue.  "You're not a good lover," I said.

	Not long after that I booked my flight
back to New York, and then back home to
California.  My adventure had become some sort of
aimless spree.  I was not proud of myself.  In
fact, I returned with a healthy dose of self
loathing, embarrassed that I had parted my legs
for nothing more than a whim.  And I didn't even
get a good song out of it.

                             VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV

Tobie Helene Shapiro
Berkeley, California   USA