TheBanyanTree: Life Stories 121

Tobie Shapiro tobie at shpilchas.net
Mon Jan 15 09:20:42 PST 2007

January 15, 2000000007

Dearests,

	Lumen is my grand nephew, my mother's
first great grandchild.  She is up in Seattle at
the festivities of his first birthday.  People
have come in from Utah, California, Illinois.
She called me yesterday and told me that he is
walking and he says, "Hi".  Good first word!  My
first word was, "Light".  Meyshe and Feyna also
started out with "Light".  The first word.  The
first entrance into human society.  Much more
important than a debutante ball.  "Hi!"  What
does that say about him?  My mother said that she
was holding him and he planted big sloppy kisses
all over her mouth.  She wondered if he knew her
with all the people around.  I told her he knew
her well enough to love her.  It wasn't hard.
The kid has good taste.  "Hi!"

                                   ÞÞÞÞÞÞÞÞÞÞÞÞÞÞÞÞÞÞÞÞÞÞÞÞÞÞÞÞÞÞÞÞÞÞÞÞÞÞÞÞÞÞÞ

ýýýýýýýýýýýýýýýýýýýýýýýýýýýýýýýýýýýýýýýýýýýýýýýýý

The Paper Doll Dream

	Dweller and I bought a house in the
Spring of 1972.  We'd looked for quite a while
for a house.  We'd been living on Chestnut Street
in a rented house, a small two bedroom wooden
bungalow with a glassed in front porch that
belonged to Mr. Murphy Holmes.  When we came to
look at the house, as listed in the newspaper, we
were met by Murphy Holmes and a friend of his
from across the street.  Evidently, Murphy had
lived in this house when he was growing up, so it
occupied a special spot in his heart.  The
interview was as if we were from a different
country.  His friend served as translator.

	"I hope you guys don't throw a lot of
parties, 'cause this is a white neighborhood."

	We looked around us.  This was a very
integrated neighborhood.  Murphy himself was an
African American.  Wherever we looked were people
of every polka dot and stripe.  Black, white,
red, brown, yellow.  We couldn't figure out what
he meant.

	"A WHAT neighborhood?"

	"A WHITE neighborhood.  WHITE."

	We stood there, confused.  His friend assisted.

	"He means, qui-et.  A QUIET neighborhood."

	"Oh!  No, we don't throw parties.  We're settled.  Nothing wild."

	He brought us into the house and showed
us around, then out into the back yard.  There
was a big brambly naked bush standing in the
corner of the yard.  No plants were taken care
of.  It was just an overgrown square of crumbly
earth.  Dweller looked at the strange plant, like
a klatch of frozen lightning.

	"What is that plant?" he asked.

	"Oh.  That's Surry."

	"Surry?"

	"That's Surry.  Surry.  You know, Surry."

	His friend decoded, "Cel-er-y.  He said it's celery."

	"Oh!  Celery!"

	We looked at each other, took ourselves
aside and agreed we liked the house.  We would
give him a check to clinch the deal.

	"We like the house and we'd like to rent
it.  Can we write you a check for first and last
month's rent?  Do you need a cleaning deposit?"
No cleaning deposit was necessary, and that was
good because the place was filthy.  Stunned
cockroaches lay on their backs, embedded in  oven
grease, their little antennae and legs kicking
around in the air - the dinosaurs in the tar pits.

	He instructed us to write a check to
"Murphy Holmes".  Every month as I wrote that
check, I felt like I was writing a check to a
conglomerate, "Murphy Homes".

	He wrote out a receipt on a book of forms
he'd gotten from a stationery store.  It said,
"ERF DIPSOL".  We finally figured that one out.
It stood for, "Refundable Deposit."  Had it been
twenty years later, we would have diagnosed him
with dyslexia.

	That was in 1968.  Now it was 1972.  We'd
been married three years and we were launching
ourselves into the wonderful world of home
ownership.

	We had trouble finding the right house.
Dweller said he wanted a big wide street.  I
preferred narrow twisty streets.  Dweller wanted
a newer house.  I wanted an older one.  The
realtor, Edna Carson, interviewed us about our
hopes for a dream house.  It seemed that whatever
the realtor brought up, we wanted opposite
things.  But Edna Carson did what realtors do.
She combed the listings, took on the internal
scuttlebutt of the realty trade, and she showed
us houses of every kind: new, old, wide streets,
narrow streets, Berkeley, Oakland.  We went to
each, and from each we came away disappointed,
usually for different reasons.  Then Edna Carson
phoned one day, saying, "I found your house!"
She took us to a fairy tale home.  It had a large
living room with beamed ceilings, an hexagonal
dining room, a tiny kitchen with what Dweller
observed to be, "Clown Vomit Linoleum," and three
bedrooms off of a spiral staircase.  We both
loved it.  After all, it was the stuff of fairy
tales.  All the dreams you've had of what could
come true but hadn't.  All the fantasies of where
charmed lives put their heads down at night.

	We bought it, and moved in as soon as
escrow closed.  Friends helped us move.  Friends
helped us paint.  Friends helped us put away the
booty from the boxes.  Then we were on our own.
This was when my heart feared going forward and
my mind met me coming and going.  I couldn't put
it away or ignore it.  I contemplated our
marriage for two weeks, sitting on the spiral
staircase going to the magic rooms.  I sat there
with my head in my hands, staring off into the
house, the boxes still lying around as if waiting
for further orders.  What will I do?  What will I
do?  What will I do?  I wrote a song about the
dilemma.

No Surprise

Every day goes by without a word from you.
And I am living like a boarder in my bedroom.
Every day is very nice, orange smog at noon.
And pieces of my fantasies, like glass, splinter the room.

Every time I call you, it seems the phone's gone dry.
And we are speaking of this life it seems we are planning.
Painting over paintings, even the errors very clean.
So much time and effort,
More than either of us means, more than either of us needs.

Somewhere boats are setting sail,
While we're waiting for a wave.
Lunatics like I would be are burning all their
promises, their pocket books and clothes,
Standing naked for a while, while you and I and other fools
Can watch it on T.V.  Can watch it on T.V.

We'll try our luck together.
Yes, we'll do it right,
Planning rolling pastures for the attic.
And forever never bothered me, and I'd love you just the same.
But I thought we'd be a miracle, and things are seldom what they seem.
They are seldom what they seem.

Now I can't get up to save my life,
The house on fire.
And I am smoking all my lovers like a reefer.
Someone once admonished me, keep some secrets in your eyes,
And when the time comes to disappear, you won't need no disguise.
So life comes as no surprise.
Now it comes as no surprise.

	I sang the song endlessly, but wouldn't
sing it for Dweller.  I functioned like an
automaton for those weeks, robotically going
through my paces while my mind and heart were in
the stair well, where I returned every day while
Dweller was at work.  What was I doing there?
Why did this house depress me so much?  Why
couldn't I shake it?  Was this the end of Dweller
and Tobie?  Where would I go from there?  What
did I want out of life?  What did I truly want?

	That's when I had the Paper Doll Dream.

	I was supposed to show up for work in a
warehouse.  The entrance was in an alley.  The
door was open, and light jutted out from within.
I had to step over garbage cans as I entered.
First thing, I came upon my mother.  She was
standing behind a table like an examination table
in a doctor's office.  At one end of the table
was a roll of paper as wide as the table.  Most
of the roll had been used.  It was getting down
near the core.  My mother was standing there with
a scissors.  And she was cutting out paper dolls
from the roll.  They were all confused.  Some
were upside down, limbs were missing, arms were
too long, heads were cut off, little ones, large
ones, holding hands.  While the dolls curled one
way and wound up on the floor at my mother's
feet, the excess curled in another direction and
into a waste basket at the foot of the table.
The waste basket was filled with paper scraps,
and the long spastic roll of excess paper which
rose up and cascaded over the lip of the garbage
can, spilling out everywhere, flooding the floor,
getting mixed up with the deformed paper dolls
that were building a pile so high my mother
couldn't move but to cut out more paper dolls.
She was waist deep, trapped, at a standstill.

	I looked at her, and a rage swelled up in
me, threw itself at the exit from my face.  I had
to squelch it.  I was terrified of my anger
towards my mother.  I said, "I don't want to get
mad at you."  I turned quickly away from her and
moved further into the warehouse.  Next, I came
upon my sister.  She was standing behind another
table exactly like my mother's, and she, too, had
a roll of paper.  She, too, was armed with a
scissors and was cutting out paper dolls.  But
Dana's roll was just beginning, and the graceful
arc of paper dolls that emerged from work with
her scissors slipped gently to the floor.  The
waist basket was being filled with the surplus,
the negative space around the dolls, but it
wasn't half full yet.  And Dana was only ankle
deep in a string of dolls, holding hands,
gathering at her feet.

	Suddenly a panic struck me.

	"I have to get out of here!" I shouted
breathlessly, pushing past my sister and my
mother who were expecting me to show up for work.
I catapulted myself out the door, into the dark
and woke up, jerked awake by the nightmare which
had threatened to strangle me.

	It was immediately clear to me what it
all meant.  My mother had spent her life, in a
desperately sick marriage, cutting out
meaningless paper dolls that were immobilizing
her.  Her work may have started out orderly, one
doll holding the next doll's hand who was holding
the next dolls hand.  But over the years, they'd
become less and less recognizable as pretty
little dolls in a row.  They were crazy,
distorted, amputated, chaotic.  She was  now
drowning in it all.  My sister was just starting
out, with her four year old, Ari, and a house
they'd bought on Prince Street.  They had wedding
rings, a house, a mortgage and a four year old.
Here I was, supposedly showing up for work.  I
would be given my own table with my own roll of
paper and a nice working pair of scissors.  All
you need to apply for the job is a husband and a
house.  Then you get your table and your life
which essentially you waste keeping busy.
Keeping very busy.

	This gave me more to contemplate as I
occupied the stairwell, banging my head on my
future, trying not to wind up with a roll of
paper dolls preventing my passage to anything
more elevated than marking time while creating
garbage.  I shuddered with every thought of that
dream, which was actually the dream of every
young girl of my era.  We just wanted to grow up
and get married, be good wives to our husbands,
and then have children, whom we raised until they
didn't need us any more.  Then we went to Aruba,
or took up flower arranging, played high quality
bridge, or just slept in front of the television.

	Doesn't anyone want more than this?

--

Tobie Helene Shapiro
Berkeley, California   USA