TheBanyanTree: Life Stories 123

Tobie Shapiro tobie at shpilchas.net
Wed Jan 17 07:20:58 PST 2007

January 17, 2000000007

Dear My Friends,

	I am flummoxed.  I went and met a guy from Jdate.  He was
nice enough, but it was like talking to someone at 60 who was still
trying to figure out what he wanted to do when he grew up.  He lived
with his mother (admirable actually.  He's taking care of her), and
used to run a bagel stand in Juneau Alaska.  All this is colourful,
but he wasn't.  I have nothing against the guy.  Just nothing for
him.  It didn't work out.  He walked me to my car and noticed I had a
handicapped parking placard hanging in the window.  "Oh!  You use
your mother's, too!"  he said, matter of factly.  I corrected him.
"It's mine.  I have a seizure disorder and cervical disc disease."
He apologized.  The thought that someone completely abled would
borrow his mother's handicapped sticker to take advantage of the
perks made me shake my head.  I would never do such a thing.  Anyway,
I wrote to him after our date, and told him, sweetly, but not
flabbily, that it would never work out, we were in two different
worlds and it was nice meeting him, but no.

	He has since written me two e-mails pleading his case.  I
wish he wouldn't.  It's demeaning.  If someone tells you no, why
would you want to talk your way back into it?  Wouldn't it make for
an uneven and uncomfortable relationship?  Again, I have to say, I
don't get it.  Do you?

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

jjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjj

Thinning and thickening of the blood

	For the first two years of my life, I got acclimated to San
Francisco weather: never very hot, often foggy, never extremely cold,
no snow, seldom a show of thunder and lightning.  Then we moved to
Hyattsville and then Silver Spring, Maryland, and the skies had very
different things to offer.  We arrived in the fall of 1949.  In the
fall, back on the east coast of the United States, the trees are
losing their leaves and it starts getting blustery.  Then a couple
months later, the cold sets in, becomes bitter and I was getting all
wrapped up in several layers of clothing just to go outside.  To
protect me from the cold, my mother dressed me in long underwear, a
regular outfit on top of that, waterproof boots, and then a thick
coat with cumbersome mittens.  There would be a hood on the coat, and
I'd have to wear a scarf.  I could waddle around.  I remember my arms
not being available to use.  They just stood out straight from my
puffy sides.  Outside, as little as possible of my face would be
showing.  Then everywhere we returned inside from the winter chill,
the heat would be turned up to eighty five and you'd have to disrobe
or be sweaty and miserable.  Maybe we didn't have it right, with our
clueless San Francisco habits.

	Another new thing that happened in winter was snow.  The
first time it snowed, my mother brought Dana and me to the window and
we saw the white spots floating down to the ground, building up and
covering things.  It was magical!  She dressed us up and took us
outside to lick the sky.  She showed us how to make a snow ball, and
how to roll a snow ball on the ground to make it bigger and bigger,
until it was a sizeable boulder.  I was too young to aim, but my
sister wasn't.  She pelted me with snow balls and I watched them
explode against my thick jacket.  After a while, the snow that had
landed on me turned into water, and I'd get soaked and shiver.  Then
my mother took me inside near the heater, took off the boots, the
jacket and snow pants, the mittens, the scarf, the clothes that were
all wet, and she'd make me hot chocolate with marshmallows in it.  I
know that her utter devotion didn't register on me as some choice, an
elected behaviour that she could have passed on, in favour of keeping
us inside, providing us with paper and crayons, and skipping the
giant load of laundry, the wrapping and unwrapping of toddlers, the
warming of freezing fingers and toes.  My mother was there to take
care of me.  I expected it, relied on it.

	It wasn't until I was a little bigger that I learned how to
make snow angels, or a snow fort, snowmen, how to stomp a traceable
path in the fields of white, then try to step exactly where I'd
stomped before on my way back.  The mittens we wore were made out of
rubber on the outside and had a synthetic lining.  When they got wet,
they stank, a particular rank smell of chemicals that I'll never
forget.  One year, when it got icy, my mother slipped and fell,
practically broke her coccyx, and was exquisitely sore for almost a
year.

	The other extreme was summer.  The air was heavy with
moisture; we swam through the pall of humidity, our clothes sticking
to our bodies.  And then, the most surreal thing occurred.  The
moisture in the air would suddenly precipitate into rain, and there
would be a violent summer thunder storm.  We'd be washed with hot
water, chased by lightning.  We'd count the seconds between the
lightning and the thunder to estimate how far away the lightning was.
Everyone had lightning rods fixed to the tops of their houses.  Tall
metal spikes that were grounded in the earth to distract the
lightning from striking where we didn't want it to strike, and then
funneling it to the ground.  These storms could be scary, much too
severe for a little girl to handle unafraid, no matter how much
science my father poured into us.  The fat streaks of rain would
pound the roof and make loud music.  The wind would rattle all the
windows.  Anything not fastened to the house would flap around in the
storm.  The thunder would shake the house, the lightning would
illuminate the whole sky.  Then it would stop, and be sunny again.
Time to go out and play.  The transformation of the sky was
unpredictable and always surprised me.

	Then there was the summer heat.  We lived in a tract
development.  When the house was being planned, my parents had
choices they could make.  They chose air conditioning over a porch,
not a common selection.  This meant that on hot days, we had a lot of
new friends who came over to visit.  At night, the heat didn't
dissipate.  Rather, it stayed unbearably hot.  I'd lie on top of my
bed trying to find a spot on the sheets that was still cool, and I'd
press my leg, or my arm, my cheek, my belly against that cool patch
until it was warm like the rest of the bed.  My mother would come
into the room and go from my sister's bed to my bed washing our backs
with rubbing alcohol which would chill deliciously as it evaporated
and keep us cool for a minute or two.  That is what the fumes of
rubbing alcohol do to me, bring me back to my sweltering bedroom in
Silver Spring, with my mother pouring alcohol on my back and
spreading it around, the evaporating fumes rising through my nose to
my brain.

	When we returned from Maryland in 1956, seven years after
we'd left, I was used to the weather back east, and prided myself in
being able to take the heat of Indian summer, not feel too terribly
cold in winter, and scoff at the puny weather systems that blew
through the bay area.  What?  Nothing life threatening?  But a couple
years of the bay area retrained me.  My blood thinned out.  I lost
the subcutaneous layer of blubber that insulates a true easterner.  I
am again a San Franciscan.
--

Tobie Helene Shapiro
Berkeley, California   USA