TheBanyanTree: A Challenge for the New Year Received

A. Christopher Hammon chris at oates.org
Mon Jan 15 04:19:36 PST 2007

The last time I pedaled a hundred miles in a single day was a long time
back. When I was living in Southern California and working a government
military job years ago, I was stationed on a ship in San Diego and
dating a young woman in Long Beach. I was also into bicycle racing. On
the weekends that I didn't have a race I would jump on my bike on
Saturday morning and pedal the 125 miles to Long Beach and be there in
time for a nap before going out for the evening. On Sunday I would pedal
back to San Diego. It was a nice ride. But that was also back in the
Vietnam War era; a long, long time ago.

This past fall I was riding in Southern Indiana with a chaplain friend
of mine as part of an organized bicycle tour of Indiana State Resort
Parks. It was a great week long tour with around 200 of us visiting
Clifty Falls, Spring Mill, and Brown County State Parks. Pedaling the
back roads is great for conversation and our topics ranged from theology
to exotic bicycles to our various bicycling stories and adventures over
the years. In the midst of our conversations we got to talking about
doing century rides---those 100 mile days---and a group within our local
bicycle club known as the Mad Dogs. The Mad Dogs have as their goal
doing at least one and preferably more century rides per month and they
have gone so far as to organize a competition around it.

Every so often I find myself looking at getting out to ride with them
since they do some interesting routes. One that has appeal to me for
several years is their Sacred and Profane ride, which goes from
Louisville out to the Abbey at Gethsemane (where Thomas Merton was) and
then back to Louisville through Bardstown and the Maker's Mark
distillery. But I find myself intimidated by this group since they made
a competition out of their rides. I am a full-fledged tourist these days
and in my mid-fifties I see my racing days as history. I am more
interested in looking at things around me than concentrating on the
wheel in front of me, and I get places when I get places. I worry about
holding them back or getting myself in trouble out on the road by
overextending myself.

My friend and I had a good week riding together; him on his classic
upright and me on my recumbent. We went away from that tour looking
forward to getting together to ride more often; including getting in a
few centuries.

Toward the end of November I received an email message from him
suggesting that we go join the Mad Dogs for their Dishonest Abe Century
the next Sunday. Unfortunately, I already had commitments for that day
but he went on to go check out riding with the Mad Dogs. He had a great
time.

And now the challenge has been issued; both as invitation from some of
the Mad Dogs assuring me that they won't bite and as spiritual quest for
the coming year from the chaplain. How can I resist?

Unfortunately, I can't make the scheduled January ride as I have to be
down in Nashville that weekend. And alas, I can't make the Sacred and
Profane ride on the day it is scheduled in May, either. But weather
permitting I am set to take the plunge to once again cross the century
mark on my bicycle with a pair of rides on successive weekends in
February. One ride out along the Ohio for a bit and then over to the
Kentucky River and down through Wendell Berry's Port Royal. And one to
Salem, Indiana, and back to Louisville for the Sugarbush Annual Maple
Syrup Festival. So we will see if I can still do it. If the weather
doesn't workout, there is always March.

I am accepting the challenge to average one century per month over this
next year with the recognitions that I don't do wet and cold unless I
really have to get from point A to point B and that I spend part of my
summers teaching up in New Jersey. Undoubtedly, it will lead to good
stories.

Cheers to the challenges that push us out of our comfort zones,
Chris