TheBanyanTree: Justice

Sharon Mack smack58 at nycap.rr.com
Sat Jan 13 10:10:43 PST 2007

I am still waiting for justice.  I own a duplex. Last summer I met, my then
tenant, Jon's girlfriend and her small children aged 2 and 4.  The 4 year
old boy was autistic.  He didn't talk much but he was very sweet and well
behaved.  He apparently had health problems to go with it.  Jon did not have
a phone, so I told Heather (his girlfriend) that if there was ever an
emergency she was welcome to come over and use the phone anytime night or
day.  It was Sunday and they were having a small tag sale out front.

The next morning, while getting ready for work, I heard a loud, rather
urgent knocking on my back door.  In the morning, I am on automatic pilot
and it took me a few minutes to realize where it was coming from.  The dogs
are trained to stay on the bed until I am ready to go downstairs so no pups
were tearing toward any doors and barking their heads off.  I finally headed
downstairs calling out, "Coming!"

Fruby (the Pom) was right behind me.  Poor Pugsy (the Pug) who is deaf and
12 years old was still snoring loudly.  When I got to the door I opened it a
crack and saw a 30-ish woman with long curly hair, attractive and dressed
neatly.  I immediately thought she must be related to Heather as she looked
like her.  She said, "Your neighbor told me you have a phone I could use."
My next thought was she was a friend of Jon's and Heather's rather than a
relation.  I said, "Sure, c'mon in."  I opened the door and Fruby, the love,
lap, pet-me-aholic, went for her.  He growled and snapped twice before I
could scoop him up.  I was astounded!  He NEVER EVER was mean or bite-y.  I
apologized and pointed her to the phone.  I told her to go ahead, I had to
get ready for work and that she could just leave when she was finished.

I went back upstairs, Fru in hand.  I heard her leave then I walked the dogs
and went to work grabbing my shoulder bag and shoulder briefcase from the
kitchen stool where I kept them.  When I got to work I opened my purse to
get money for coffee and, yep, you guessed it.  She'd stolen my wallet.
Everything was gone.  EVERYTHING!!  I went home and called the police.

I spent the entire day canceling credit cards, stopping payment on checks
and my paycheck, going to social security for a new card and to the registry
for a new license. At the social security office the two officers who check
you in heard my story.  They KNEW who it was immediately and described her
to a "T".  They told me she had just been let out of jail for a similar
offense.  She had robbed several elderly people the same way, asking to use
the phone because her car had broken down, a guy was trying to rape her,
people were chasing her.  I couldn't believe it.

That evening when I came home, I saw my wallet stuck in my mail slot.  It
was an expensive leather wallet with a day book, calendar and calculator.
Those she left, everything else was removed.  Heh!  A criminal with half a
conscience???  What the hell!?

I also questioned Jon and Heather and found out she had gone to their side
first and awakened them from a dead sleep.  When she asked to use the phone
Jon said they didn't have one and slammed the door on her, angry that she
had awakened them so early.

The next day she used my grandson's account to steal $400.  I had forgotten
that the information for his account was in my wallet.

She has not been caught though they called me to the Grand Jury to testify.
When I got there, there were 6 other victims, 2 of whom really got banged
with her theft big time.  They moved her crime up to a felony and you can
best believe I will be there to testify when she is caught and anytime she
comes up for parole.  It is obvious that she did not learn her lesson.  She
apparently was jailed on several occasions for these types of thefts and we
learned she is not only a thief but a drug addict who refuses help and a
dealer of heroin.

Like Nancy, I am saddened not angry.  Here I was thinking to help someone in
trouble (as did the other victims) and she abused that trust.  I will never
do that again.  She steeped into the sanctity of my home, my safe place.
Next time, I will leave them outside and get my cell and make the call for
them, and if I am the least bit suspicious, I will call the police.  Isn't
it a shame to feel so compelled?

The sadder thing is my dog knew!!!  Had I taken his cue, it would have saved
me.  I will be listening and watching him from now on regarding strangers.
Good dog!!

Sharon