TheBanyanTree: Life Stories 119

Tobie Shapiro tobie at shpilchas.net
Sat Jan 13 09:31:34 PST 2007

January 13, 200000000007

Dear Y'all,

	My mother has flown off to Seattle to be
present at the great grandchild's birthday party.
One year old.  He is already walking.  My mother
says that my brother was walking early, and she
was scared to death of this mindless little baby
aiming himself through the house.  He even fell
down the basement stairs once.  There were diaper
marks, big poofs of powder where his tuchas hit
the step.  I remember that one.  She came flying
downstairs to scoop him up.  He was fine, just a
little tossed.  Hard heads.  We have hard heads
in my family.

                    ÚÚÚÚÚÚÚÚÚÚÚÚÚÚÚÚÚÚÚÚÚÚÚÚÚÚÚÚÚÚÚÚÚÚÚÚÚÚ
                      ØØØØØØØØØØØØØØØØØØØØØØØØØØØØØØØØØ

Egg whites and sugar

	The summer between graduation from high
school and going off to the University of
Washington in Seattle, I spent at home mooning
over Bruce Haynes, the son of Thomas Haynes, the
conductor of both the Berkeley High School
Orchestra and the Young Peoples' Symphony
Orchestra.  I was waiting for his letters from
Amsterdam, hanging around the mailbox.  Every
day, I'd take a trip down the front stairs to see
if there was any news from abroad.  If there was,
I was all nerves and anticipation.  I would tear
open the letter, devour it, then go back over it
for innuendo, inference, subtext, hidden
messages, anything between the lines.  Oh, for a
secret decoder ring!  Then I'd make myself
miserable over my discoveries or I'd kvell in the
warmth of communication with one of the major
crushes of my young life.

	At this same time, Yvonne had gotten
herself a job in the basement of the Claremont
Hotel, that venerable old palace a couple blocks
from my house.  She was working for the Bay Area
Rapid Transit District, BARTD, which would become
the major public transit system in the bay area,
a new fangled series of train lines that went
above and below ground and through the trans bay
tube, under the San Francisco Bay, connecting
disparate sectors of the bay area and changing
the demographics forever.  But at this stage in
1965, Yvonne was sorting through big computer
cards and making tallies on sheets of paper, a
dumb job that somebody bright had to do.  It was
not yet the age of computers.

	I would go visit Yvonne on her lunch
break every day.  We'd spend the time sighing and
laughing.  Those were our strong suits.  Then I'd
usually outside playing and my sister was already
off to college.  I'd mill around waiting for my
life to begin.  And in the meantime, I'd whip up
meringue.

	Yes.  Three egg whites and a whole lot of
sugar is what meringue is made of.  And I would
mix this in the Sunbeam mixer until it was stiff
and fluffy.  Then I'd eat it.  Yes.  I'd eat it
raw.  I got used to the three egg whites version,
and graduated to a double recipe: six egg whites
and twice a whole lot of sugar.  Then I'd consume
it.  My mother wondered why there were all these
egg yolks accumulating and why she kept having to
go to the store for more eggs.  This was my way
of celebrating if I were happy, or mourning if I
were unhappy.  I never slathered the meringue on
top of a pie and baked it.  But then I found the
recipe for meringue cookies which required cream
of tartar as well, and quite a long time in the
oven.  Then I began baking trays of meringue
cookies.  I'd pack them in a tin and Yvonne and I
would go to the movies to see something heart
wrenching with subtitles.  We'd sit there eating
the cookies and weeping over the very moving
movie, or laughing at the very funny movie.

	"What are these?" Yvonne asked in a
whisper, while we were watching, "Sundays and
Cybelle".

	"They're called, 'Angels' Turds'," I
answered.  And we nearly got kicked out of the
theater.

                    ÚÚÚÚÚÚÚÚÚÚÚÚÚÚÚÚÚÚÚÚÚÚÚÚÚÚÚÚÚÚÚÚÚÚÚÚÚÚ
                      ØØØØØØØØØØØØØØØØØØØØØØØØØØØØØØØØØ

When  "Sorry" just doesn't do it

	When my sister was 22, she was trying
very hard to get pregnant.  This was with her
first husband, Fred, a nice guy, but
unfortunately not a very good husband.  Dana had
been on the pill for a number of years and that
can make getting pregnant a little harder to
achieve once you remove yourself from them.  Dana
was wanting so badly to be a mother at twenty two
that it nearly frightened me.  I was still
determined never to be a mother.  Never.  As it
turned out, never isn't a long long time.  But
Dana was bent on getting pregnant.  They were
doing some very serious fucking, but it had been
six months, and there was no sign of a zygote.

	My mother was taking me to my cello
lesson with Herman Rheinhardt in the city.  And,
that day, Dana had come along.  She was in the
front seat and I was in the rear with my cello.
All the way back from San Francisco, Dana turned
her frustrations on me.  She criticized me for
whatever she could think of, made up a few
stories about people not liking me, about my
general inadequacies as a sister and a human
being.  I knew, yes, I knew, that this was all
because she was desperate to have a baby and
wasn't achieving pregnancy.  I was the next in
line, and shit, as they say, rolls down hill.
So, I was being used as the dumping grounds for
all Dana's fears and anger.  I told her to stop,
but that didn't do any good.  Why my mother
allowed this to go on without even a comment
escapes me.  It takes about a half hour to forty
minutes to get from San Francisco to our house in
Berkeley, and for the whole trip, I was treated
to an ongoing vicious attack on every particle of
me.  My thoughts were to get back home, and get
away from Dana, go to my apartment that was
messy, but inviting, a safe haven where no one
was turning on me, no, not even my room mates who
had to put up with me night and day.

	As soon as we got back to the family
home, I ran as far from my sister as I could.
Here's the amazing thing.  She followed me.  She
actually chased me down to tell me how awful I
was.  I was just not human, it seemed.  In a bid
for freedom, I headed for the front door, but
Dana rushed ahead of me and, with her back to the
front door, spread her arms wide to bar my way.

	"No!  You have to know the truth!" she hollered.

	What truth?  What truth was there here?
I turned around and ran into the dining room.
She got on one side of the table and I was on the
other.  She excoriated me once again for being
the sub human, sub atomic particle that I was,
that no one in his or her right mind could like,
and that inspired disgust in so many.  Finally,
I'd had it with the whole scene.  I screamed, "I
hope if you get pregnant that the baby has three
heads!" an innocuous, far fetched rejoinder.

	Dana's face turned purple.  Her fury
crested.  She leaped over the dining room table
and came at me with her hands shaped in readiness
for a choke hold.  I did not stay around to see
what would happen.  I ran to the entrance hall,
my shoes slapping on the ceramic tiles, and I
nearly made it to the front door, but Dana caught
me by the hair, threw me down on the ground,  and
began banging my head on the tiles.  I saw white.
Then everything disappeared.  When I came to, I
saw Dana hanging over me, her fists still
clenching my hair, but her face gripped by
astonishment.  As soon as I woke up, I scrambled
to my feet, and Dana lit out for her house where
her husband was, no doubt, waiting to impregnate
her.

	I was woozy and disoriented for at least
twenty four hours.  No one suggested I see a
doctor to figure out why I was nauseated, dizzy
and confused.  Where exactly was I?  And which
direction was I facing?  How old did I say I was?
The next day, my mother made a trip down to my
flat on Parker Street, 2208 A.  It was a surprise
when I let her in.  She had in her hand, a square
white cardboard box.  She said it was from Dana.
I opened it.  It was an oversized baked enamel
peace symbol, red on pink background.  It was
hanging on a long leather thong.  My mother said
that Dana wanted me to accept her peace offering
as an apology.  I looked at the cheap adornment,
and the events of the previous day went through
my addled mind.

	"No," I said.  "I really don't forgive
her.  That was too much.  And this is too easy."
I had never refused an apology before.  I felt
strong and vindicated.  I felt it was a step
forward for me to turn down this facile shrug of,
"I'm sorry.  Now can I do this again some time
soon?"  However, this did not go over very well
with my mother.  She told me I was hard, and
unforgiving, selfish.  It turned out that it was
I who was queen shit.

--

Tobie Helene Shapiro
Berkeley, California   USA