TheBanyanTree: The End of Coffee Hour?

Gloria burns.gloria at gmail.com
Tue Jan 9 18:12:20 PST 2007

This whole thought process started innocently enough.  I made it to
the office at my starting time of 8:30 a.m. and went in to grab my
usual cup of java.  I couldn't believe my eyes!  No coffee made?  Are
we out?  Has the coffeemaker died?

Right.  No coffee made, but we did have some and the coffeemaker was
standing ready to do its job.  The faucet spewed water.  What the
heck?

My mind traveled back to 30 years ago when I started working in this
office.  Every single person there drank coffee.  In fact, making a
pot of coffee was chore #1 for the first person arriving.  My buddy
George made it his business to do an outstanding job of providing a
fresh pot every morning.

After all had arrived, we gathered around in the biggest office and
discussed a myriad of things.  World events, last night's comedy on
TV, social lives, personal lives, you name it, we talked about it.
Once the first cup was gone, we all went to our desks and started
working.

Those days are gone, my friends.  Most people don't drink coffee
anymore.  Some have never acquired the taste for it and with so many
other options out there besides soda, there's really no need for
anyone to drink the stuff.  Then again, you may be like me and
addicted to the caffeine boost, the warmth, the color and the aroma.

I proceeded to get the pot going.  No sense in standing around by
myself, so I thought I'd wander a bit.  The office of today has one
staring at backs of heads and pc monitors.  If a person isn't too
engrossed in their lastest e-mail or workstuff, you might get a "Good
Morning" or a grumble.  I find this most depressing and  I wonder if
that's how they are at home.  I can't take it personally, as I've
noticed it's just the way it is for anyone that wanders through.  No
one likes to be disturbed.  Except me.  I welcome the chance to chat
with people.  Thank goodness we still get phone calls and the
occasional person that drops in with a request for help.

It's a strange world I'm livin' in 8 hours per day and it's no wonder
I've learned to entertain myself.

Dreamer...always dreamin' of a kinder, gentler world for ALL