TheBanyanTree: Yes We Have No Bananas Today

Dee Churchill deecee at toast.net
Tue Jan 9 16:53:40 PST 2007

Is it just me? I cannot possibly be the only person on the North
American continent who thinks there is something really strange about
this. Stay with me, here -- it gets tricky.

An Argentine-born artist named Cesar Saez, who now lives in Montreal, is
going to build a 985-foot banana in Mexico and float it over Texas. Have
we hit enough geographic points yet? The banana will be built of bamboo
and synthetic paper, filled with helium and sailed 12 to 18 miles above
the Lone Star state until it disintegrates in approximately one month.
Will anyone be surprised to learn the tab for this airborne art
cha-chings at about $1 million Canadian dollars, some of which has
already been raised? Including "small amounts" contributed by the
Federal and Quebec governments.

Saez is quoted as saying, "Why? Because it's possible. Why not a banana
over Texas?"

That lame explanation would only have worked if Kinky Friedman had
pulled off his bid for governor. In that event, a whole floating fruit
salad -- with croûtons and walnuts -- would have seemed normal. As it
is, if the Texas Air National Guard doesn't shoot it down, it will
certainly provide the late night talk show hosts with a few jokes.
"Pssst! Mr. Bush. Your banana is showing." Well, at least vice-president
Cheney won't get in on it. Bananas don't resemble either quail or lawyers.

And what if the banana gets caught in the jet stream and sails into the
air space of another country? How embarrassing would it be for the heads
of state to get on the red phones and complain? "Listen, your --uh--
your banana is an aviation hazard." Does that sound like a responsible
person to you? Wouldn't you, yourself, feel a bit silly if you had to
speak that line seriously? Could you say it without snorting coffee
through your nose?

For that matter, to whom would one complain? Does the banana belong to
the artist? To Canada? Does Mexico own shares in it? Or does its
encroachment into U.S. air space make it our property?

I'll tell you the truth. I think Governor Schwarzsenegger has something
to do with this. California has been fighting fruit flies forever. You
can figure a banana that size will attract every living fruit fly on the
whole flipping continent. And when the banana disintegrates, where are
all those flies gonna fall, huh? Tell me that. Heck, after a month, the
banana might even be hanging over Florida. How's that for messing with
the competition?

I'm just waiting for the Political Correctness Cops to get wind of this.
I'll bet you there is going to be something non-pc about flaunting a
banana instead of some leafy green vegetable or maybe even a monster
spiral cut ham. In the latter case, it would at least prove pigs really
can fly.

Hugs, Dee
The Coffee Bean Goddess
http://cbg-dee.blogspot.com