TheBanyanTree: Life Stories 115

Tobie Shapiro tobie at shpilchas.net
Tue Jan 9 08:02:12 PST 2007

January 9, 2000007

Dear My Friends in the Tree,

	It is three years ago, today, that my ex
husband, AKA villainman, called from a remote
location and said, "I can't come home.  I'll
die."  And thus ended a 20 year relationship.  He
disappeared from his children's lives, except to
drive Feyna to school, and lecture her on why
he'd done nothing wrong.  That eventually made
her nuts.  She started avoiding his lectures.
What she wanted, I think, was an apology.  A
good, well meant, self-aware, apology.  But she
never got one.  Now, it's been since June of 2004
that he's spoken to them, or seen them.  He
blames me for turning them against him, of
course.  It's all my fault.  If this could have
gone some other way.  But it didn't.

	Still, I wouldn't want him back.  I was
miserable.  I was angry all the time, too.  I
really didn't like the person I'd become,
complaining, hectoring, on the verge of screaming
from neglect.  Now all that subterranean anger is
gone.  I like me again, although I sure wish I
were happier.  But that will come.  I need to get
my life, post divorce, settled, physically,
financially.  I have to see that it can work.
Then I'll relax a bit.  Maybe I'll even meet a
nice man.  I hope he's rich.  I can't afford to
take anybody else on.  I'm behind the ledger as
it is.

                     ÇÇÇÇÇÇÇÇÇÇÇÇÇÇÇÇÇÇÇÇÇÇÇÇÇÇÇÇÇÇÇÇÇÇÇÇÇÇ
                        ÇÇÇÇÇÇÇÇÇÇÇÇÇÇÇÇÇÇÇÇÇÇÇÇÇÇÇÇÇÇÇÇÇÇÇÇ

¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡

The oil in Kuwait

	We were in Toronto at a scientific
instrument convention.  LABINDUSTRIES had sent me
and my mother to people the booth.  The
convention hall was attached to the hotel, so
there was pretty much no need to leave the
protective environment and venture out into the
cold Ontario climate.  We stood around the booth
doing our usual games:  guess the profession,
guess the specialty, make up stories about the
strangers walking past our corner:

	See the man with the glasses and the
V-neck sweater?  His name is Ogden Satcheloff.
He's newly hired at the New College of Inner
Toronto's outer Toronto campus.  He has a wife,
Rachel, and two kids, Bella and Nausea, aged ten
and seven.  He had a fight with Rachel this
morning because he didn't polish the door knobs
properly.  She has a thing about doorknobs.  He
told her this morning that he'd polished the door
knobs last week, and why did he have to polish
them again so soon.  And she just exploded.
After all, she's polishing his shoes and ties,
every little hole in his wing tips is reamed and
sweetened.  Why can't he simply polish the door
knobs?  They got into a whole mess about brass
polisher as opposed to chrome polisher and glass
polisher, and they never made up.  So he's
feeling lousy.  He probably won't come into the
booth.  He's too unsettled.  Besides, they
ordered two Repipets a week ago.  They just
arrived in perfect condition and are doing their
jobs nicely.  So he doesn't need our advice.

	We'd toss these stories around and giggle
about our chosen chump for the biography.  We
kept busy in the down times.

	This was in the days when I wore rings on
every finger, two on some fingers, three on a
couple.  And I wore layers and layers of Asian
embroidered robes.  A long wrap around skirt with
floral patterns on black.  I stood out in a
crowd.  I think it was hormones and a love of the
arts that made me do it.  An eccentric without
the age to recommend her.  It certainly drew
people into our booth.  And probably scared other
people away.  But I was oblivious of all that.

	The convention floor was open from seven,
a.m. to six, p.m., and we had to have someone in
the booth at all times.  During the rush hours,
we needed at least two people.  So we took shifts
for lunch.  My mother went out to the hotel's
restaurant first, while I stood at attention, and
then she came back and relieved me so that I
could go slurp down some soup.

	I was sitting at my table for one,
buttering bread and dipping it into the clam
chowder, when a man in a full Arab robe and
burnoose came by my table and commented to me,
pointing at my hands, "You should not to be
wearing all of these rings."

	"Why?" I asked.

	"Because in my country where I come from,
wearing all these rings, it means something.  And
you should not to be wearing them."

	I thought about my role as ambassador for
the United States and decided to step down.  "I
think I know what you mean to say, and it doesn't
mean that where I come from.  So you better
remember to forget it.  You're not in your
country anymore."

	He fell all over himself apologizing.
After all, he'd just called me a whore,
essentially, and that's a big slander.

	"Allow me to buy you your lunch," he said, gallantly.

	"No."

	"Allow me to buy you dinner, then," he insisted.

	"No. No.  It won't be necessary.  Besides
my mother and I eat our dinner together."

	"Oh, then allow me to buy you and your mother dinner."

	"No.  It's okay.  You don't have to buy us dinner."

	"Then, allow me to buy you the restaurant."

	He was serious.  He pulled up a chair.
It turned out he was a Kuwaiti oil Sheik, on a
business trip for his father, shopping.

	"What are you shopping for?"

	"Oh.  Hotels, country clubs, the chain
store."  He was marinated in money.  Big money.
Money that amazes and confounds.  Huge big
astounding money from a million oil wells in
Kuwait.

	As it turned out, he was a very
interesting character.  He was the eldest son of
the first wife.  And as such was supposed to take
on the family business.  But he didn't like
business.  What did he like?  He liked art.
Western art.  He'd been educated in England and
came home with a love of the arts and a resigned
sigh of disappointment for business.  He was in
his early forties, and not yet married, which was
something like a crime, since he was supposed to
get married before any of his thousands of
siblings could get married.  They were all
breathing down his neck.  He hadn't found the
right one yet, and had refused the arranged
offerings of his parents.

	We talked frequently while I was at the
convention, and I gave him my phone number back
home.  After that, I would get calls from him at
odd hours.

	"I am sitting in my office looking out at
the oil fields.  There are little fires.  It is
very beautiful."

	"Allow me to send you a ticket to Kuwait.
You will come and  meet my family."

	"Uh oh.  What's a nice Jewish girl going to do in Kuwait?"

	"Oh," he said, sotto voce, "I forgot that
you were Jewish.  Tsk tsk tsk tsk tsk!  What will
we do?"

	I'd be going about my business when two
dozen long stemmed red roses with one white rose
would be delivered to the door for me.  The card
would read, "From your friend in Kuwait."  The
next time he called, I told him, "Listen, Mahoud,
maybe we should get our signals straight.  Two
dozen long stemmed red roses with one white rose
may be just a pittance to you.  It may mean
nothing.  But in my world, this is important
stuff.  It means a great deal.  There is a
culture barrier here.  What do you mean by these
flowers?"

	There was silence on the line.  Then,
"Well, maybe I mean I want you to be my wife."

	"Oh no.  Oy veh!  We barely know each other."

	"We don't need to know each other.  I
know you fine.  You know me enough."

	"That's not how I do this.  Please.  I'm
touched by the flowers, but marriage is very
serious business.  It requires a long courtship
and mutuality."

	"Allow me to buy you a Mercedes Benz, to show you my appreciation."

	"I don't want a Mercedes Benz."

	"What do you like?" he asked.

	I thought, and answered him honestly.  "I like art."

	A week later, a de Kooning water colour
was delivered to the door, an odd shape, tall and
narrow, a portrait of a woman in gorgeous
colours.  It was entirely authentic.  After the
fire, in which it burned up, I had to get an
estimate of its worth.  The appraiser said it was
worth roughly a hundred thousand dollars.

	The calls and gifts thinned out after a
while.  The last time I heard from him was after
the Iraqi invasion of Kuwait.  He called from
somewhere in Europe.  He told me that anyone with
half a brain in Kuwait saw the invasion coming,
and vacated the premises with their fortunes in
tact.  He asked me if I had gotten married.  I
said I had, to a scientist."

	"I have married also, to a girl my
parents selected.  I am not happy, but life may
be not for happy.  Not always.  I will remember
you."

--

Tobie Helene Shapiro
Berkeley, California   USA