TheBanyanTree: Life Stories 109

Tobie Shapiro tobie at shpilchas.net
Wed Jan 3 08:02:02 PST 2007

January 3, 2000000007

Dear Everyone here,  (and some there),

	I am warming up my printer because my
realtor wants me to print out ten more of my life
stories for her.  Last time I printed out things
for her was after the fire.  That's fifteen years
ago now.  She and her husband are a realty team,
and they found us the house that just sold again
to someone else.  These are lovely people.  I
cannot imagine why they are realtors.  It seems
so hectic and they are so calm.  And the last
time I handed her writing of mine, she put me in
touch with a woman friend of hers who wanted to
be my agent.  This went well for a while until
she decided that she wanted to limit her
clientele strictly to, "How-to" books.  There
went me and my fire journal stories.  So who
knows what will happen when I hand Judith another
batch of ten stories.  I have no hopes, just that
Judith will like the stories and give me a little
bit of praise for them.  She's good for the
praise.  I eat it up.  I am ashamed to say that I
eat it up.

                               ¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶

§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§

ELLLLVISSSSS!

	Carol Gambol lived down the street from
us in Silver Spring, Maryland.  She was tall,
taller than my sister, even though they were
roughly the same age.  When Carol came over to
play with Dana, she stood around up there over me
while I was playing on the ground in our back
yard.  It didn't take me long to figure out that
if I said, "Elvis Presley," she'd go ape shit and
moan, "ELLLLVISSSSS!!" hug her sides and rock
herself back and forth.  He had a lot of
influence with Carol.  She was crazy about him,
and when his name was mentioned, no matter how
tangential to the conversation, she would do the
same thing: fold her arms, clasp her sides, sway
back and forth and sing, "ELLLLLVISSSSSS!", as if
it were a convocation and the congregation were
receiving divine guidance.  I'd seen film clips
of Elvis Presley on the television and in the
newsreels at the movies.  It was always
accompanied by footage of teenage girls swooning
and keening, shouting his name, fainting,
reaching out for him, their eyes rolling back
into their heads.  He didn't impress me as anyone
to swoon over.  But then, my hormones hadn't
kicked in yet, and I liked classical music,
exclusively.  I didn't like all the gyrating and
knee wobbling.  It just looked stupid.  What was
everyone so crazy about?  So he was going off to
the army.  Wasn't the actual war that was going
on more consequential than who this one more
soldier was among thousands?

	War was a bad thing in my family.  I
heard proud stories about how my ancestors had
evaded the Czar's army, and how we Jews didn't
like warfare or armies.  What did we like to do?
We liked books, and studying, and discussing what
we'd read.  We liked food, and music and artwork
and culture.  Inside every Moishe Pippick was a
Yehudi Menuhin aching to be heard.  What did
Carol Gambol or the rest of the teenage girls of
the United States know about the Czar's army and
the Talmud, classical music, culture and blintzes?

                               ¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶

§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§

Chicken flies

	Chicken had a last name, but I forget
what it was.  Chicken was connected to Jane.
Jane was Glenda's little sister, and Glenda was
married to Jerry Martin who worked as a studio
engineer in the city.  I thought Jerry must be
the connection to the music business, and if he
liked the songs I sang, he could make me famous.
Chicken was called Chicken because of his rib
cage, which he called his breast bone.  He could
bend it and flip it concave and then convex, like
a chicken.  Come to think of it, that was an
illogical nickname.  Chickens' breastbones don't
do what Chicken's breastbone did.  But I still
don't know any other name for Chicken.

	Chicken did everything in extremes.  He
went into fifth gear when there were only four.
He drove fast, worked hard, loved passionately,
and sang like a whole choir.  His voice could not
be any single other voice.  If we asked Chicken
to sing something, he'd nod his head to let you
know he'd heard you.  Then he'd close his eyes,
dip his head down, remain motionless for a few
moments, then lift up his face, open his mouth
and let out a powerful beautiful sound that
eclipsed any other thing you might be doing or
thinking.  His voice commanded the complete
attention of everyone within earshot.  Pure
voice.  A sound that resonated with everything, a
vibration that rose from the core of you, out to
the extremities and beyond.  He had a group
named, "LittleJohn", and they had an album out.
This made him professional and famous in my book.
I hung on his every word.

	Jerry and Glenda Martin, Chicken and
Jane, and Dweller and I went up to the snow one
weekend.  Chicken wanted to get a sled, a fast
sled, and go down the side of a cliff.  We all
went to the rental place, and Chicken asked for
the hottest fastest sled they had.  The man shook
his head and said, "Kids."  But he handed over
the merchandise.  Chicken dragged the sled to the
edge of the precipice.  It was not a ninety
degree angle, but it gave that impression if you
were contemplating going down it.  Chicken got on
the front of the sled.

	"Who's going with me?"

	Jane said, "You're crazy," and stepped
back, presenting both palms to the sky.  Jerry
and Glenda said, "Not me."  Dweller just stared
at everyone else.  I looked at Chicken and he
locked his eyes on me.

	"You coming?"

	"Okay," I said, stepping forward.  I climbed onto the sled.

	"Put your arms around my waist and hold
on tight," he instructed.  I did so, locking my
hands together in front of him.

	"Woo Hoo!" he hollered, and he kicked off from the launching pad.

	I held on to Chicken for dear life, as
the sled gained momentum.  I say momentum, but
that implies that there was some friction
involved.  There was, in fact, none.  We were
more or less in a free fall down the slope headed
straight for the ground.  Hope for light packed
snow, three feet deep.  The two of us plummeted
downward and hit the ground with a crack.  The
sled went one way, up and upside down, and we
two, still attached to each other, flipped the
other way, into the air, crested and then fell.
I landed with my leg on the edge of the sled and
hollered in pain.  Chicken got thrown clear and
walked away.

	My leg was so swollen that we had to cut
off my pants to show the doctor what had
happened.  The doctor told me to lie in a tub of
barely tolerable hot water, and stay off the leg.
This was the beginning of the weekend.  I viewed
the rest of the weekend from afar.  But, oh, that
free fall!  Humans fly!  Humans fly downward, but
they do fly.

--

Tobie Helene Shapiro
Berkeley, California   USA