TheBanyanTree: Life Stories 157

Tobie Shapiro tobie at shpilchas.net
Tue Feb 20 07:16:20 PST 2007

February 20, 200000007

Dear Folks,

	This morning as part of my ritual, I
poured a big tall glass of milk for Meyshe, into
which I was about to dole out a heaping
tablespoon of Ghirardelli's powdered chocolate.
But I didn't get that far, because as I
streamlined my moves to make it a sort of dance,
my dancing partner (the glass of milk) tipped
over and every drop of an extra tall glass of
milk spilled all over the table, the chairs and
the floor.  Just like the tripe that exploded, I
hardly broke my gait.  I went to the drawer and
got out the kitchen towels and started mopping
up.  There's just no sense in cursing and getting
all riled up.  It's gotta be done.  So I did it.
Four kitchen towels and many deep knee bends
later, the floor is cleaner than I've seen it for
quite a while and the chairs are milkless.  It
reminded me of those legends we hear of the
filthy rich who bathe in tubs of milk.  This was
the poorer version.

                               ¼¼¼¼¼¼¼¼¼¼¼¼¼¼¼¼¼¼¼¼¼¼¼¼¼¼¼¼¼¼¼¼¼¼¼¼¼¼¼¼¼
                                ¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶
                                  µµµµµµµµµµµµµµµµµµµµµµµµµµµµµµµµµµµµµµµ

The Nomads

	My Jewish upbringing was not religious.
We never went to Synagogue.  I don't think we
ever belonged to one.  Even my parents when they
were growing up didn't light the Shabbos candles,
didn't observe the Sabbath, didn't keep a kosher
home.  So my parents raised us even looser.  We
did not go to Temple even at High Holy Holidays,
and didn't even know very much about the laws of
kashruth.  What we did get was cultural
influence.  We did belong to the Jewish Community
Center, and we did get together with the greater
family (my mother's) on holidays.  We ate knishes
and chopped liver, herring and blintzes,
kreplach, kishke, p'tsah, matzo ball soup, and we
made our own gefilte fish from scratch, our own
red beet horseradish, the hottest stuff in town,
and of course, charoshes for Passover.  We were
sent to a labour Zionist youth camp, mixed in
with the Habonim kids and were told about our
parents' passionate efforts during the war to
establish a homeland for the Jews.  I've grown up
with the State of Israel being in existence.
When my parents were growing up there was no
place for a Jew to seek safety.  And, in spite of
Israel, there is still no place a Jew can seek
safety.

	So it was from my close, very close, very
very close contact with my family, the aunts and
uncles, the cousins, the great aunts and uncles,
the grandparents, the ganze mispocheh, that I
learned about Jewish ritual and had my Jewish
identity cultivated deep inside me.  I say I had
no Jewish education, but that is not entirely
true.  When we came back from Maryland, we were
enrolled in the Sunday school at Temple Beth El,
Berkeley's standard Reform Synagogue.  Of course,
we didn't want to go.  Why ruin a perfectly good
Sunday?  Why invite more homework onto yourself?
My interest in Sunday school was minimal for a
reason.  The teaching of Jewish history was more
than boring, it was redundant.  It seemed like
this:

	In the fall, we would start our studies
of Jewish history by reading about the nomads.
Yes, we were a nomadic people at first.  No big
city Jews.  We knew the ins and outs of camels,
and we knew sand intimately, and dust.  There was
dust.  We knew tents and heat and a rare
treasured oasis.  I don't remember now what it
was we learned about the nomads, but that is
where we started in the fall.  Then our lessons
were interrupted by High Holy Holidays.  Rosh
Hashannah and Yom Kippur came along and
monopolized our classes.  We learned about new
year and the day of atonement.  We were
encouraged to attend day long services at the
Temple.  But we didn't go.  My parents had no
stomach for it, and it didn't occur to us to beg
them.  The High Holy days take up two weeks, Rosh
Hashannah being ten days before Yom Kippur.

	Then there was Sukkot, the festival of
booths, directly following Yom Kippur.  The class
was busy building a Sukkah, hanging it with fruit
and dried vegetables, leaves, the full fall
foliage panoply.  Sukkot lasts eight days.  You
are supposed to eat and sleep in your Sukkah, but
at home we never had one, and so there was no
sleeping or eating in the non existent booth.
After Sukkoth, we could get back to our regular
scheduling, so we started out with a review of
the nomads.  We'd been away from them for long
enough to warrant a refresher course.

	Then came the secular holidays of
Halloween and Thanksgiving, not holidays based in
Christianity, so the Temple knew that we would
all be involved in them.  We ducked out of nomad
studies to learn about the Jewish take on things
spooky and giving thanks.  This took a few weeks.
After Thanksgiving it was back to a refresher
course on the nomads.  We'd been away from them
for too long just to dive right back in where
we'd left off.

	And then came Channukah, which lasts
eight days and required our full attention.  The
education about Channukah took several weeks, so
when it was time to get back to our regularly
scheduled curriculum, we had to review the nomads.

	This was interrupted by Purim.  Purim is
a joyous festival and fun is injected into the
mix.  On Purim the Rabbi is supposed to get so
drunk he can't tell the difference between Hamen
(Boooooo!  Rattle Rattle, Boooooo!) and Mordecai.
We put on Purim plays, poking fun at ourselves
and we dressed up in costumes.  The Temple threw
a Purim party, setting up a carnival in the main
hall.  Every class in the Sunday school offered
their own game or attraction.  This took out a
chunk of time from the calendar year, and so
after Purim was fresh history, we had to go back
and refresh ourselves about the nomads.

	Then Passover came and stepped in,
consuming our studies for a month at least.
Therefore, after Pesach, we had to go back and
review the nomads.  The year went on like this.
We Jews are lousy with holidays.  There is always
a holiday we are working up to, celebrating, or
recovering from.  And so the entire year was
spent on the chapter in the book about the
nomads.  We never graduated to chapter two.

	The room was along a western wall of
windows.  We sat at our desks bathed in indirect
light, the warmth urging us to put down our heads
and take a nap.  At this point, what I remember
most from Sunday school is sitting behind Rachel
Freifeld who was shorter than even I was.  Back
lit by the bank of windows, the sun lit up her
silhouette as she drew huge flaky boo boos out of
her nose, examined them, and ate them.

	It took me until my young forties to come
back to my roots and try to learn about my
culture, its history and rituals.  It was a fine
and welcome return, and not a word was ever said
about the nomads, God bless 'em.

--

Tobie Helene Shapiro
Berkeley, California   USA