TheBanyanTree: in search of snow

Sachet sachet at alltel.net
Mon Feb 19 20:08:15 PST 2007

Earlier today, I was lamenting the lack of snow this winter. It seems
that every wintery place but here got more snow than they needed. We got
maybe a few flakes one night and that was it. I don't know why I didn't
think to try the top of Pilot Mountain before today. Well, I guess part
of it was the lousy cold I had that kept me inside, and then the wind
that has been sending wind chills down into single digits. As much as I
love hiking in cold weather, even I don't like a relentless cutting wind
making it that cold.

Today I had reached my limit of not being able to hike. I bundled up in
layer upon layer because the wind was c-c-c-cold. I was surprised and
delighted (and even wisely wary) as I slipped and slid on ice and snow
on the east side of Pilot Mountain and then laid in the warm sunshine on
a cliff on the west side. Took pictures of and licked an icicle.
(couldn't resist the compulsion <g>) Found a mini-cave filled with
hibernating lady bugs and watched raptors ride thermals overhead,

All in all it was a relaxing time off on my own in search of my ever
elusive snow. I was glad that I decided that two hours was enough time
to do something I love instead of missing out simply because I didn't
have the whole day.

Small pleasures...

http://tinyurl.com/36wtq8

...Sachet