TheBanyanTree: Note to a neighbour: Should I deliver it?

PJMoney pmon3694 at bigpond.net.au
Wed Feb 21 02:00:17 PST 2007

1. We want the fence height raised (with wire mesh) to about 1.6 m to
prevent large dogs jumping over and coming into our yard.  I am tired of the
anxiety of wondering, every time I go outside, whether there is a strange
dog in our yard.
2. If the fence along the border of our properties isn't raised then,
because your side fence is just as low, dogs could jump into your yard and,
from there, into our yard.
3. It is not possible for us to build any structures up against the fence on
our side because there is an easement running right along the fence line.
4. It was not possible to dig posts for the wire mesh fence right against
the masonry fence because of its wide footings.  Jack hammering holes
through the footings could damage them.
5. Putting the wire mesh fence posts outside the line of the footings would
leave a gap of about 15 - 20 cm between the chain mesh and the masonry wall
where rubbish would inevitably collect and weed plants (such as mahogany
trees) would grow.  These would then be impossible to remove.
6. You may have noticed that about 8 years ago we had a wire mesh fence
built on the eastern boundary of our block.  You may also have noticed that
at no time since have we ever covered it with shade cloth or plastic
material of any sort.  Apart from the fact that it looks ugly it would make
the fence load bearing in high winds.
7. The masonry fence has columns built of 400 x 200 mm blocks.  The fencing
contractor appears to believe that these are sturdy enough to have steel
posts bolted to them.  There is no suggestion that any posts will be bolted
to the 400 x 90 mm block work spans between the columns, primarily because
they don't seem to be strong enough.
8. I was advised yesterday by a staff member in the Building Services
Advisory section of the Department of Planning and Infrastructure (DPI) that
although no building approvals are required for chain mesh fences they are
required for masonry fences that are over 1m in height.
9. The masonry fence is approximately 1.2m high along the spans and another
200mm higher at the columns.
10. I checked the status of the masonry fence with the Development and
Planning Applications section of the DPI and was told that no certificate
exists for it.  It is an illegal, and therefore insufficient, fence.
11. In that case, (if the column blocks really are hollow) we might be able
to bring the fence down to under a meter, put the steel posts in the holes
on our side, fill the holes with cement and then put the wire mesh in.
12. If  that work is not possible then having the masonry fence made good
(with its height raised to 1600mm, because I will not accept anything lower)
or demolished and replaced would be expensive.  In either case, we would
expect you to pay half the costs.
13. Another option would be to allow us, at our own expense and requiring no
contribution from you, to continue with the current work.
14. If you can think of any other options, or if you agree with one of these
options, please let me know.  Drop a note in the letter box at 11 Jingili
Terrace.
15. I will be seeing a solicitor on the evening of 22/2/07 (tomorrow) so if
I haven't heard from you by Monday morning (26/2/07) I will proceed with
obtaining whatever orders I need to obtain to get a fence that allows me to
feel safe in my own back yard.

This woman went berko when she discovered the fencing guys working on
bolting steel posts to the concrete block fence that divides our properties.
According to her it's her fence; she paid for it 30 years ago, and we can't
touch it.  The people next door to her did this that and the other thing
attaching gates, walls and whatever to her side fence and roooning it,
making the capping tiles fall off (standard concrete roofing tiles - so
naff!) etc, and so on and so forth, so how does she know we're not going to
do that too????   Hmmmm?

This is the couple that called the cops after we had a mahogany lopped
which, in its falling, broke off a branch of one of their trees, the lopping
guys went into their yard to smooth off the damage and they objected to that
intrusion on their space.

This is the woman who lives with the man who, when my boys were tiny little
fellows, used to stand, half-hidden, under the trees next to their low fence
and watch the boys play for as long as they were outside.  It really gave me
the creeps.

Janice