TheBanyanTree: Life Stories 152

Tobie Shapiro tobie at shpilchas.net
Thu Feb 15 07:55:37 PST 2007

February 15, 20000007

Dear honeypie,

	It was one of those mornings when I just
didn't feel like doing any of the rote things I
usually do upon getting up.  I thought maybe I
could get away without taking a shower until
later, so I did the smell your own armpits
routine.  I did not come out looking good.  So I
did the tide me over dance.  I washed under my
arms with a soapy hand towel.  Now I smell very
good, but I still have to do the full shower
later.  What a waste of soap.  I mean, why not
just go around stinking?  I know it's a little
inconsiderate, but just how close do I get to
people every day anyway?  I'm not waving my arms
in front of them, and I don't stand in front of
fans with my arms up.  We need to examine these
social edicts more closely, in the cold light of
day, without the prejudices we harbor toward
ritual and habit.

	Still, I feel better not stinking.  It's not like I don't have a nose.

                                 ¦
¦
¦
¦
¦
¦
¦
¦
¦
¦
¦
¦
¦
¦
¦

°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°

°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°

Meyshe goes to school

	The summer after the October 1991 fire,
Meyshe and Feyna were both enrolled at Circle
Preschool.  The cooperative they had gone to
their third and fourth years was closed to us by
Dianne, the teacher in charge who said that Feyna
was welcome to come back to the nursery school,
but Meyshe could not return.  So I looked for a
likely place.  I wanted to keep Meyshe and Feyna
together.  Circle preschool was unusual in that
they accepted children with developmental and
other disabilities.  Twenty percent of the school
population was reserved for those special
children.  They told us that the twenty percent
fit right in and were by and large not noticed,
that they were given individualized attention,
that conferences with the parents were frequent
and communication was on a daily basis.  They had
staff trained in special education who could
attend to the challenged children.  What this
meant was that for the first time since the twins
were born, I actually would be able to drop them
off somewhere and breathe without having to be on
constant high alert.  Even so, I attached myself
to a pager so that in the event that Meyshe
became impossible for them to deal with, I could
be contacted.  I dropped them off and waited
outside my beeper for that call.  I had a few
hours.  I didn't know what to do with them.  They
never called me to take over, and I was
astonished that anyone else could handle him but
me.

	Meyshe, at five and some months, was
already recognizably, obviously different.  We
did not have a diagnosis yet, but he was in
speech therapy through Children's Hospital of
Oakland, and God knows he needed my constant
guidance at home.  He did not play with the other
kids, avoided all eye contact, ran away when
approached, grabbed things which he quickly
discarded, sat still rarely.  I wished at the
time that I could have seen an older child who
had been like Meyshe when he was younger, and I
thought maybe at Circle Preschool, I would get my
chance.  But there was no other child like
Meyshe.  He baffled experts.  He had little
verbal language, but had already mastered
literacy.  Where to place him on the vast
spectrum of developmental disorders?

	I pondered my boy and his dilemma.  Where
was his language?  Why could he communicate with
Feyna, but with no other people his age?  It's
not that he ignored them, or didn't know they
were there.  It was more like he actively pushed
them out of his life, away from his private
world.  And it wasn't even that he didn't like
the other children.  It was more that he just
couldn't handle them.  They were too complicated,
too full of information that assaulted him.  It
seemed as if the outside world and all the people
in it assaulted him.  He was at home with only
me, his sister, and to some extent, his father.
His father was a distant man, and his emotions
were hard to read, even for me: that steady gaze
off into space, the big mind working behind the
pale eyes, his mouth fixed in neutral.  And then
there was the suspicion that he never fully
accepted his defective son.  Whatever his
feelings, they were hidden from anyone's, maybe
even his own, view.  For Meyshe to be able to
relate to no audible or visual cues must have
been near impossible.  He allowed his father to
handle him, but sought me out for affection and
protection.

	There was a kindergarten attached to
Circle Preschool.  This was where we planned both
Meyshe and Feyna would go came the fall and the
new school year.  The summer played out while we
moved from our three month stint in the first
house our family alone lived in since the fire,
and moved in with my parents again.  We stayed
with them until the big boat of a house, the
eight bedroom mansion on the fault line, was
ready for us to inhabit in August.  We moved and
we moved and life went forward in spite of it.

	The conferences we had with the teachers
at Circle Preschool were all positive.  He was
getting additional speech therapy there, but they
told us that during his one on one sessions, he
didn't sit still, struggled around the room
touching everything and running, if one could run
in a very small office, from the therapist.
Feyna, although she threw an occasional tantrum
of frustration, was doing well.  Her disabilities
were not apparent yet.  Meyshe had a head start
on her.

	Before one of the conferences, I came to
the school and watched my children from the
sidelines.  Meyshe was sitting on the ground near
a jungle gym.  He was sifting through the dirt,
when another child came up to him and pushed him
for no apparent reason.  It seemed that this was
not even going to register on Meyshe.  He just
got up with his handful of dirt, vacated his spot
on the ground and climbed to the top of the
jungle gym.  The boy who had pushed him had taken
Meyshe's place on the ground and was digging with
a plastic shovel.  Then Meyshe leaned out over
the scaffolding of metal bars and dropped his
handful of dirt onto the boy, who looked around
for the source, and not finding it, got up and
sauntered off.  This was one of those times that
I was torn between telling Meyshe to stop that
obstreperous behaviour, and yelling out, "Good
job!"

	So it was not that he was oblivious to
the other children.  He simply didn't interact
with them the way the other children interacted
with each other.  The trickling dirt trick was
clever, even eloquent; certainly its grace and
elevation were lost on the little bully.  But
Meyshe's mother was very encouraged by this.  I
wanted him to find the rest of the world, to meet
it in the ways that regular children did.  I
feared the gap between his development and that
of his sister would become grotesque.  And of
course I loved him completely, with a joy and
commitment that made me want to sing.  It never
occurred to me to judge him, to compare him
unfavourably, or be disappointed in him.  My boy
was a mystery.  He was fantastically gifted,
loving, even compassionate.  It was all residing
inside him.  It would have to come out.

	We had our calendars marked for the
beginning of the new school year, and were busy
settling in to the cockeyed mansion on the
Arlington.  Then two weeks before the start of
school, Circle Preschool phoned.  The special
education teacher spoke to me plainly and said
that they didn't have much to offer Meyshe.  He
needed more expert attention and care than they
could give him.  Feyna was welcome to stay but
again we had to find another place for Meyshe.
This was two weeks before the new year.  This
gave us no time to do the research necessary to
assure him a spot in another school.  This was
when we found Waldorf for Feyna, that hilarious
mistake, and when, pushed to the wall with
deadlines, I enrolled Meyshe at the nearest
public school in Berkeley.  I called the
principal and spoke to him.  I described Meyshe
in much too great detail, and asked if they had a
kindergarten class for kids with developmental
problems.  He said that Meyshe would have to be
tested and evaluated to qualify for the special
class.  And in the meantime he would go to the
regular class.  I advised him that in that case,
Meyshe would need an aid to assist in watching
over him, because I couldn't come to school every
day and be his designated guide.

	"We don't have any aids," he said.  "We
can't pull them out of the air," and the Berkeley
Unified School District (BUSD), to which I was
getting my first rude introduction, had only so
many positions for aids.  Meyshe would have to go
it alone.

	I shook my head, and went into crisis
mode.  "Let me understand you.  Meyshe is going
to go it alone in a classroom full of regular
kids.  One teacher and over twenty five pupils?"

	"That's all we can offer."

	"So you and the Berkeley School District
want to take on the responsibility of enrolling a
special student in a regular class.  You want to
be liable if he should bite another child, or run
off campus into the street, if he should damage
equipment or create a problem, your one teacher
is going to be enough to watch over him.  I am
telling you that you will want him to have an
aid.  This is for you, not just for Meyshe."

	The aid appeared out of the air.

	These aids were not trained.  They were,
typically, lost young people straight out of high
school who were at loose ends and needed a job
instead of college.  The pay was better than at a
MacDonald's.  The aid they assigned Meyshe was
dispatched quickly by him.  He hid under a desk
and the aid couldn't get him out.  He hit her and
tried unsuccessfully to bite her.  The other
children loved Meyshe because he disrupted the
classroom.  They fought over the right to escort
him to the lunchroom and sit near him, the wild
boy, the one who controlled the teacher and
frightened the aid.

	In the meantime, Meyshe had to go through
testing by the school system.  They put him
through their paces, as he put them through his.
He hid from the ones administering the tests and
pushed the test papers aside.  I sat out in the
next room waiting for them to tell me I could
take him home, that he was untestable.  And they
did.  He was cleverer than his evaluator.  They
didn't know what to do with him, because he
didn't fit into the categories they knew and
loved.  But this was a good thing, because it was
clear that he qualified for special education,
and after a month or so of his romp with the
regular kindergarten class, he was sent to the
smaller special needs kindergarten.  There, the
teacher in charge, believed in rules and
discipline.  Meyshe did not.  The aids were
assigned to Meyshe.  Then after his first
tantrum, they quit.  If he didn't want to follow
the rules, he got under the table and evaded any
attempts to apply the rules.  The aids were all
amazed at his ability to read and write.  One of
them thought handing Meyshe a book ought to be a
good idea.  But he didn't think so, and tore the
poor book to shreds, then threw the pieces at the
aid.  When she tried to discipline him, he hit
her, or bit her or ran around the room screaming.

	He was way too much for them.

	This was when I was introduced to the
Berkeley Unified School District and just what it
means to fight for your child.  We hired an
advocate who would help steer us through the
Individualized Educational Plan (IEP), a
fundamental requisite that established a contract
with the parents of children with special needs,
setting goals and promising progress, placing the
child in the proper setting and informing parents
of their rights.  What we needed was to find
another school for him.  Someplace where they
would understand him and help him join the human
race, maybe sit still long enough to learn
something.  The advocate recommended a private
school called Children's Learning Center, a place
where the kids who couldn't be served by any
program provided by the public schools wound up.
The Berkeley School District would be required to
send Meyshe to a suitable setting and pay for it
if they had no appropriate setting for him
themselves.  This was good because the tuition
for a year's enrollment at Children's Learning
Center was somewhere around $29,000.  Our path to
Meyshe's education was being made clear.  The
fighting with the district had just begun.

	It took from September until mid April
for the district to agree to send Meyshe to
Children's Learning Center.  By that time, the
Berkeley schools were glad to be rid of him.  He
could not be managed in the public sector.  At
CLC, there would be six children in a classroom
and three trained teachers.  This was the ratio
he needed.  Transportation to and from the new
school had to be arranged.  The district was
obligated to provide it.  The little bus filled
with children with special needs carried Meyshe
away to his new school, and they carried him back
again.

	He had been at CLC for three days when
the director called us and said they had a video
of Meyshe's progress.  Would we like to see it?
Yes, we would.  The video showed Meyshe sitting
quietly at a table, raising his hand to be
recognized by the teacher.

	We fell off our chairs.

	"How did you do this?"  We were incredulous.

	"Oh, we know his tricks," they answered,
and smiled.  This school would save Meyshe's life.

                                 ¦
¦
¦
¦