TheBanyanTree: Life Stories 153

Tobie Shapiro tobie at shpilchas.net
Fri Feb 16 07:57:33 PST 2007

February 16, 200000000007

Dear Nuts to You,

	Feyna may have found herself a job.  And
even though I don't particularly like it, it's
her choice and I'll stand by it.  She's going to
be working for an outfit called, "Clean Water
Action".  They want Feyna to take the 4:30 to
9:30 p.m. shift and hit the residential streets
knocking on doors in San Francisco, telling
people about Clean Water Action and asking for
donations, memberships, renewal memberships, etc.
She'll be interrupting people's dinners, of
course.  The door to door telemarketter.  It
would be Monday, Wednesday and Friday, which
means she'll miss Shabbos dinner, and have to be
working on the Sabbath.  She desperately needs
this job, and so she's going to try it.  She has
to show up for work today for the first time, and
will have a trial run.  Then they huddle to see
if she should be hired on a more permanent basis.

	Well, first of all, the streets of San
Francisco are not always the safest streets in
the world, and I worry about her, even though
she'll have a partner working with her.  It will
be night time, and some of the streets aren't
very well lit.  Her safety will depend upon what
sector of the city they send her to, of course.
There are very safe neighborhoods.  But there are
hell holes, too.  Maybe these people don't get
sent to a hell hole because hell hole residents
don't usually give to environmental causes.  I
could be wrong.

	Then there's the queasy making fact that
no one I know has ever heard of this
organization.  They have a web page, naturally,
and the web page looks official enough, but
anyone can front a web page.  Who are Clean Water
Action?  Why don't I know about them?  I give to
environmental causes.  They've never contacted
me.  I called the Sierra Club to see if they knew
anything about them.  But the Sierra Club
referred me to the better business bureau, and
the BBB just had a recording, an interactive
service.  If you want to know about a company and
whether complaints have been lodged against them,
you have to punch in the phone number of the
organization in question, and I didn't have a
phone number for them.  There was one on the
flyer that Feyna brought home, but she swiped
that away to study it, and I don't know where it
is.  So I hit empty on both tries.

	Then there is the matter of her
transportation.  She will be coming home on BART
late at night, maybe 10:15 or so, and no one from
our house will be able to pick her up at the
station.  I asked her about this, and she
casually neutralized the question by saying that
she'd take a taxi from BART to home.  That's
three times a week, at probably $6.00 a pop,
including tip.  That's eighteen bucks added to
the BART fare which is probably $3.00 each way.
She's going to lose a lot of her paycheck in
transportation.

	My mother is poo pooing the whole thing.
She gets this disgruntled look on her face and
points out yet another thing that is wrong with
this whole set up.  She favours educating Feyna
about all of it, drumming our concerns into her
head, and pressuring her.  But I don't.  Feyna is
a bright young woman.  She will find out about
her safety and the taxi fare and about the
organization, and if she finds out about it on
her own, she can take steps to correct it, but if
I should set myself up as the anti-job, I'm just
distancing myself from her.  I told her about my
concerns, but in mild terms, and I'm leaving it
up to her to pursue those questions.  She just
has to figure these things out for herself if
she's going to be independent at any point.

	In March, on the 13th, both my children
will be 20 years old.  That calls for a special
celebration.  What do you think it should be?
I've asked them what they want.  So far they
haven't suggested anything.  That's two decades!
Out of their teens.  Into their twenties.

                          MWMWMWMWMWMWMWMWMWMWMWMWMWMWM

Flying up into a Girl Scout

	In the fourth grade, I was going to John
Muir Elementary School in Berkeley.  School took
up my days and in the afternoon and weekends
there would be those extra curricular activities
that are supposed to look so good on a resume.
When we'd lived on Hopkins Street for six months
right after returning from Silver Spring,
Maryland, there was a ballet school next door to
us.  The woman who owned the house had converted
her living and dining rooms into one large studio
with one whole wall of mirrors and a bar running
the length of the wall.  All day she gave ballet
lessons.  All day, ballerinas tramped in and out
of the side door.  With their air of femininity
and hopes for toe shoes, they came and went in
leotards and ballet slippers.

	Both Dana and I were enrolled there.
Dana, I think, hated it because she was convinced
that she was clumsy.  It was part of her
identity.  We will never know how clumsy or
graceful she really was.  This is the trouble
with ingrained identity.  Once you've taken on
that image of yourself as a victim, or a failure,
or a bully, or the class clown, it's hard to
break it and train yourself into a new identity.
So Dana was supposed to be clumsy, while I was
convinced I was graceful.  I stood at the bar in
my little ballet slippers, wearing my leotard and
I stood up straight.  In fact I stood up so
straight that I was arching over backwards,
distorting my posture and giving myself back
aches.  At nine years old, back aches.

	When we moved from Hopkins to the eternal
family estate on Domingo, we dropped ballet with
absolutely no regrets.  But something had to be
put in its place.  The idea of a young person
existing without outside lessons was unthinkable.
So we went to Sunday school at Temple Beth El,
and my mother joined me up for the Brownies.

	The Brownies are the farm team for the
Girl Scouts.  As Brownies, we took all sorts of
field trips, mostly to factories, or business
establishments.  Bott's Ice Cream on College
Avenue gave a decent tour and showed us tiny
girls in our brown uniforms and brown berets how
ice cream was made.  There were big vats.  That's
what I remember.  And there were big stirring
machines that turned the vats round and round.
We all got a taste of ice cream.  That's a field
trip.  We also went to a potato chip factory, but
I missed that one.  I arrived at the wrong place
because I'd forgotten about the field trip, and I
spent the whole time sulking in the house of one
of the mothers.  We chatted, but I was bent on
sulking.  Aside from field trips, we sang songs,
played games, said the pledge of allegiance and
the Brownie Scout oath.

	"On my honor
	I will try
	To do my duty
	To God and my country,
	To help other people
	At all times,
	Especially those at home."

	We said this, saluting with two fingers
to the forehead.  We learned how to imitate a
steam calliope, giving parts to each girl.  One
went, "Mmm, beep beep.  Mmm, beep beep".  Another
went, "Mmm, bop bop.  Mmm, bop bop".  A third
went, "Mmm, tweedle dee.  Mmm, tweedle dee," and
then two were given the job of holding their
noses while singing a melody that followed the
tune of, "Did you ever see a lassie, go this way
and that way?  Did you ever see a lassie, go this
way and that. . . "  It was great fun.  Every
Brownie all over the country who was any Brownie
at all did that calliope imitation with her troop.

	We met in a small room that had its
entrance on the side of the school.  We had our
fun and our snacks, and followed the directions
of the troop mother.  There was no sense of a
mission or even a great sisterhood of Brownie
Scouts everywhere.  We were just a handful of
little girls in our brown uniforms and brown
berets that we'd worn all day in school.  That
was our badge of membership.  We had fun and took
nothing too seriously.

	Now, the Girl Scouts: that is a different
story altogether.  The Brownies are fun, but the
Girl Scouts is all business.  There is a ceremony
marking the transition from Brownie Scout to Girl
Scout.  The terminology had it that we, "flew
up," into Girl Scouts, which sounded like a mid
air collision to me.  At the ceremony, we stood
there giving the Brownie salute and the official
mother of the troop went from girl to girl,
rearranging the fingers of the salute from the
two fingered Brownie salute to the three fingered
Girl Scout salute.  It was less then inspiring
and didn't hold a candle to the ceremonies that I
was used to in my Jewish upbringing.  Two fingers
to three fingers?  Pah!  We cooked for a week,
and read the Haggadah for over an hour.  The Girl
Scouts couldn't compete with that.

	The problem with Girl Scouts was that it
wasn't fun anymore.  Suddenly, we were busy
earning badges.  You had to accomplish a list of
things in a given category to earn the badge.
Then there was sewing the damn badge on the blue
uniform.  When you'd earned one badge, you didn't
cut back and wallow in your success.  You went on
to earn more badges, and I didn't see the point
in it.  Besides, the skills we were supposed to
master were stupefyingly simple minded.  To earn
a music badge, you had to recognize a treble
clef, know what a piano was and tell the
difference between that and a set of bagpipes.
Not difficult.  If the other badges given for
accomplishments in fields with which I was
unfamiliar were as horribly difficult, a badge
meant nothing.  So what happened when you earned
a pile of badges?  A whole shit load of badges?
Nothing happened.  You just got to sew more
badges on to your uniform and step up a notch in
your rank.  We were decorated veterans at age
ten.  There was something military about being a
Girl Scout: the rules and regulations, the snappy
stiff salute, the fact that we were now living to
obey the rules.  There were no more field trips
to cookie factories; this was business.  Don't
smile.

	"On my honour
	I will die
	To do my duty
	To someone else's God and my country,
	To kiss upwards, earn badges
	And obey the Girl Scout laws."

	I tired of it after the first worthless
badge.  I wanted my fun back.  I had all day to
earn brownie points in school.  After school
should be silly and light.  I wanted out from the
Girl Scouts, but I was afraid to tell my mother.
I don't know why I thought she had such a stake
in it.  I'm sure she didn't.  She probably
regarded it as another chore, another annoyance,
another thing to keep track of and maybe even to
have to show up for a meeting.  But I thought she
would be very disappointed in me if I begged out.
So I did a highly unusual thing for me.  I lied.
I chose a lie that would carry some weight and
require no discussion.  I told her that I wanted
to stop the Girl Scouts because they were
anti-semitic.  I never heard a word about the
Girl Scouts again.  The uniform was disposed of.
The episode was history.

                          MWMWMWMWMWMWMWMWMWMWMWMWMWMWM

--

Tobie Helene Shapiro