TheBanyanTree: Valentines Day

Russ Doden Russ at nogard4cd.com
Wed Feb 14 08:02:23 PST 2007

Tree Folk

Tobies introduction to todays post (thank you Tobie) brought back
childhood memories of Valentines Day.  It has never been a
"favorite" holiday of mine, mostly because of those memories.  This
was back in the 50's, a time so different from now, where "child
psychology" wasn't so overblown or even well understood.  (Not that
is is still understood mind you.)  During my early elementary years I
realized that there was a "caste" structure within our culture.  It
wasn't such a well defined concept in my mind, but the idea was
there.

I developed my dislike of Valentines Day because every year in the
lower grades of elementary school, the students would all make "mail
boxes" out of oatmeal tubes, or shoe boxes, and we would put
Valentines cards in them.  Simple hand made cards, that we made in
class. Each student was supposed to get a card from every other
student.  That rarely happened.  Some students mailboxes were
overflowing, needing to be emptied before the "appointed time"
whenever that was.  Others had mail boxes that were very sparse.
Mine was one of those that was very sparse.  I wasn't a popular kid,
being shy, awkward, and a bit withdrawn. This, coupled with other
similar experiences seemed to make my shyness, awkwardness and
ability to withdraw into myself become even more pronounced.

It is funny how something like that can stay with a person for so
many years. As an adult, up until a few years ago, I continued to hold
the cynical idea that Valentines Day was an artificial "holiday"
developed by Hallmark (and other card makers of course) , Russell
Stover (and all the other candy pushers) and the Jewelry cartel.  It
was simply a scam to promote profits for the cartel.

Letting go of that concept has been difficult.  I find I still check the
mailbox around this day with a kind of sadness, not expecting any
Valentines Day cards.  I was surprised to find a couple cards in my
mailbox earlier this week.  One from a dear and treasured friend, and
one from another friend who knows my feelilngs regarding this day.
Last night I had a person come over for a Reiki session, and
attached to the payment for the session was a small heart shaped
box of candy.  I'm not a big candy eater anymore - being more
careful about nutrition and all that stuff.  That small box of candy
though touched my heart.  The cards I received gave me pause to
express gratitude for all my blessings of friendship that I have.

I'm really trying to make an effort to release that cynicism that has
been so long a part of me this year.  I'm calling and/or writing to
people just to wish them Happy Valentines Day.  I don't want
anyones emotional mailbox to be left empty.

Driving in to work this morning, a thought came to me.  I would like to
share this thought, though it is not original -

When we love ourselves, we give love to others.
When we love others, we give love to ourselves.

Happy Valentines Day.

Love,
Russ