TheBanyanTree: Life Stories 149

Tobie Shapiro tobie at shpilchas.net
Mon Feb 12 07:21:30 PST 2007

February 12, 2000007

Dear Ecstatic Wonders,

	This morning I got a photograph of Zinnia
Nygren via e-mail.  It's a close up of her face.
She's wearing curl around sun glasses.  You know,
those disposable black plastic glasses that come
curled up in a scroll?  The optometrist gives
them to you after you've had your pupils dilated.
They grip your temples and protect your eyes.

	Zinnia is my step-granddaughter.  Alex is
my eldest, the son of villainman and Vicki.
Zinnia is seven months old.  She has a round moon
of a face.  Alex and Heather live outside of
Atlanta now.  For the time being.  Heather wants
to come back.  They brought Zinnia with them to
visit our neck of the woods in late December.
There was my first grandchild, even though not by
blood.  I raised her father, raised him through
thick and thin.  It's hard to contemplate what I
went through for Alex and his brother Ben.

	So here is this picture of Zinnia.  I
looked at it, and Alex looked back at me.  Right
there around the mouth, she is her father's
double.  It is marvellous how these
characteristics flit across our children's faces.
The next moment, I saw Heather in her.  The
likenesses are so subtle that one person can see
them, and another cannot.  "I think he looks just
like his mom."  "You do?  I can't see it.  He
looks like his dad to me."

	I don't look like either of my parents.
I've seen photographs of my great aunt Anne when
she was young, and those look like me when I was
young.  I expect now that I am getting older that
all the similarities to my parents will start
coming out in me.  My mother says that she
watched her uncles start to walk like their
father, Goodman Brodofsky, and the older they
got, the more like him they were.

                                      ¶*¶*¶*¶*¶*¶*¶*¶*¶*¶*¶*¶*¶*¶*¶*¶*¶*¶
                                        ************************************

What the men are for

	After one of my parents' more dramatic
battles, my father marched out the front door,
slamming it behind him and notifying my mother
that he may or may not be back that day.  He knew
this would get to her.  The uncertainty of his
whereabouts and the added uncertainty about if
and when he would be home stabbed her deeply.
This was primal stuff for her, who followed us
around, wanted to know where, why, what, when and
who, and routinely announced if she were about to
go to the bathroom, or take a shower, go down to
the mailbox to collect the mail or take a nap for
twenty minutes.  Sometimes, we'd hear our names
being called, urgently, and we'd answer,
shouting, "Yes?!"  Then we'd hear her shout back,
"Just checking!" and we'd go back to whatever we
were going back to after the interruption.  When
he walked out like that, he intended to inflict
the most harm possible, like a monkey who bites
the victim and then shakes it around violently to
make sure the wound is complicated and the
bacteria well deposited.

	This time, my mother was in tears.  She
stood looking out the side window staring off
into wherever her husband might be going, or
might not be.  She was muttering, "Why does he do
this to me?  I can't stand it.  I hate him.  I'm
so miserable."  I leaned against the wall,
watching her misery, watching the tears fall down
her cheeks.  Crying is something she never did.
She was stoic.  But here were the tears and they
called me into unsustainable sorrow, even a
panic.  My mother was the backbone of my world,
the only reality in the ocean of chaos my father
created.  If she were coming apart with grief,
then what would become of my sorry world?  There
would be no reality at all.

	I touched her shoulder.  "Mom.  If he
makes you so miserable every day, and your life
is so awful with him, why don't you leave him?"

	She kept staring out the window.

	"Why don't you leave him?"

	She turned her head toward me and said, "But who else would have me?"

	Something inside me collapsed.  This
thing was hopeless, wasn't it.  My mother was
pretty, intelligent, gifted, funny, kind, warm,
communicative.  But none of that mattered, did
it.  It wasn't just that her vision of herself
was warped, but the whole deal about what is
important and what isn't was warped.  In many
ways, I worshipped her.  I showed her things I
had created, read to her things I'd written,
played music for her that I'd composed.  All so
she would approve of me.  All so she would love
me enough to save me.  And it turned out that
what mattered, after all was said and done, was
that a man see fit to "have" you.  My hopes for
my life suddenly lost all their blood.  What was
I doing with my life if all of it were so that
some man, any man, might "have" me?  And if there
were doubt that a decent man might "have" my
mother, what kind of a world was this?  You mean
all that was possible for such a woman was a
match to a hunched over, sadistic pervert with an
unfortunate quantity of brains to power his
whims?  She deserved so much more than what she
had.  But she didn't think so.  Maybe she thought
herself unworthy of even him.

	I could have snuffed myself out as I
heard her reveal to me what the priorities were
in this life.  Certainly no one in his right mind
would have me:  this soiled, humiliated, beaten
sex object, a young woman with plenty of promise,
but a toxic body that drew even her father to
her.  I was poison.  My mother was worthless.  We
all would have to sit on the bench waving our
hands demurely, trying to attract the attention
and affections of defective men.  It was only
these defective men who could save us.

--

Tobie Helene Shapiro
Berkeley, California   USA