TheBanyanTree: Life Stories 148

Tobie Shapiro tobie at shpilchas.net
Sun Feb 11 08:44:08 PST 2007

February 11, 2000000007

Dear Hearts,

	My daughter's friend, Alex, whom we've
spoken about before, maybe even too much, has now
informed Feyna that according to recent tests,
exhaustive tests, that his doctor gave him, he is
HIV positive.  Not AIDS, just HIV positive.  I
will confess to you all that although I am
ashamed of thinking this, I don't believe it.
This guy has a crisis a day, and then something
comes along to turn it around.  So many
emergencies.  I've known people like this.  They
are pathological liars.  It's a sight to behold.

	But what if I'm wrong and he's really HIV
positive?  Well, then I feel terribly sorry for
him, and will do what I can to support him.
Feyna says he was afraid that if she told me
about it, I would go wild and forbid her to see
him, maybe get her autoclaved.  But no.  I had a
friend, a good dear friend, Earl, who died of
AIDS.  I brought Meyshe and Feyna to his house to
crawl around on his bed when he was sick and
lonely one time.  They were about ten months old.
They are now nearly 20, and show no signs of
coming down with the disease.  I'm educated about
it.  Not down to the T-cell counts and inner
workings of the cell structures, but I know
enough not to be afraid of it being passed on by
casual contact.

	How do I deal with this suspicion that
he's invented another crisis, another story to
keep straight (his stories don't always keep
straight)?  I haven't told Feyna, and I won't.
We'll just have to see.  Oy.

                              ÉEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
                              ¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤

Baseball

	Grampa Benny, my mother's father, took
all of his grandchildren to baseball games.  He
had season tickets and box seats.  Even though I
never figured out what a box seat was, I knew it
was better than what the regular people got.  All
of us grandchildren, one at a time, had our day
with Grampa.  When my family returned to
California from back east, it was 1956, and the
Seals were still the San Francisco team.  The
Seals were in the minor league and they had
Seals' Stadium right underneath the Hamm's Beer
sign, the one with the thousands of light bulbs
that lit up in a sequence to show a glass being
filled with a golden liquid, a head of foam
forming on the top, then the liquid settling and
absorbing some of the foam.  Bubbles floated up.
The sequence would repeat itself over and over
again.  From the freeway into the city, it was a
dazzling landmark.

	I went with Grampa to a Seal's game when
I was nine years old.  I remember mostly sitting
next to Grampa and asking him questions.  He knew
all about baseball.  Then in 1958, the New York
Giants were transplanted to San Francisco and the
city started to build Candlestick Stadium for
them.  But until 1960, they played all their
games at Seals' Stadium.  What happened to the
Seals after the Giants took over?  Did they all
disappear into a bucket of minor league history?
Did they move to New York?  Did they keep on
playing in the great umbra of the Giants?  Grampa
would know.

	My favourite ball games with Grampa were
the double headers.  Your tushie got sore from
sitting and when the seventh inning stretch came
along, you really needed to use it.  We'd stand
up and shake our bones out, let them settle where
they should be, then sit back down in our box
seats for the duration.

	Grampa Benny was the best Grampa in the
world.  He loved us more than anyone in the world
could love us.  He let us sit on his lap and he'd
puff out his cheeks.  Then we'd press our little
hands on both of his cheeks and he'd make a big
noise blowing the air out through his lips.  He
told us Silly, Tilly and Trilly stories right on
the spot from his fertile mind.  Silly, Tilly and
Trilly were three sisters who got into all sorts
of adventures, but mostly in baseball adventures.
That was what inhabited my Grampa's imagination.
Baseball.

	Whenever we got Grampa presents, for his
birthday, his anniversary, for Channukah, we'd
always get him baseball presents:  books about
baseball, books by baseball players, baseball
hats, baseball magazines, baseball mugs, baseball
games, baseball calendars, baseballs.  Baseball.
There was an order and honesty to the game.  It
was gallant, even though the players hoisted
their pants, groped their own balls and spit.
There were rules to the game, and umpires to make
pronouncements on the rules.  The men would wait
their turns, patiently, to get up to bat, and
when they were the team out on the field, they
worked together like the fingers of a hand.
Grampa knew all the rules and he knew all the
players from all the teams.  He could recite all
their batting averages, their runs batted in.  He
knew which pitchers could bat well, and it seemed
to me that he knew what the pitchers and batters
were thinking.

	He'd say, "He's going to walk this one.
Otherwise he might hit a double and two runs will
come in.  He can't chance it."

	And then, sure enough, the pitcher and
the catcher would play their game pitching and
catching the ball far away from home plate, high
and to the right or left, nowhere hittable.  The
batter would have had to stand on a ladder just
to attempt hitting it.  Grampa knew these things.

	We would sit there in our seats, and the
vendors would come by singing their songs.

	"Red hots!  Get your red hots here!"

	"ICE CREAM!"

	"Peeeeeeeeanuts!  Hot peanuts!"

	"Get your scorecard!  Can't tell the players without a score card!"

	I loved listening to their cries.  The
music of it stayed in my ears and I'd sing their
songs with them under my breath.  We would come
to the game unfed, and that meant I got to ask
Grampa to get me things to eat.  I asked for a
hot dog, and Grampa would stick his hand up in
the air, call the hot dog man who would come to
the end of the row, and ask what I wanted on it.

	"Catsup.  Tell him catsup, Grampa."  And
Grampa would yell out, "Catsup!"  Then the vendor
would dress the hot dog while Grampa sent the
money down the row.  Everyone passed it on and no
one stole a penny.  Then the vendor would send
the hot dog back with the change, and everyone in
the row would pass the hot dog and the money back
down to us.  No one ever took a bite and no one
pilfered the coins.  There was honour and
dignity, community, in baseball.  Then I'd ask
for ice cream.  Whatever I asked for, Grampa
would get it for me without question.

	He'd hold my hand and call me Puntsel,
Tobeleh.  I could entrust my hand into Grampa's
big hand, and it meant no more than holding
hands.  He didn't ogle me from his seat, or make
dirty comments about me and what made me female.
His love was pure and unassailable, steadfast,
complete and safe.

	Grampa must never die.  His soul must
live on like the hopes of a grand slam that's hit
out of the park and never comes down, just keeps
on going.
--

Tobie Helene Shapiro
Berkeley, California   USA