TheBanyanTree: Hot Air Balloon and the runaway bride

NancyIee at aol.com NancyIee at aol.com
Tue Feb 13 00:46:55 PST 2007

When I lived on the farm in Minnesota, we had a neighbor who had a hot air
balloon. It was black, with a jagged yellow lightning on both sides.  On  any
Saturday in Summer, we could tell that particular balloon from all the  others
that followed and drifted far above the Minnesota River.  I knew  from talking
to our neighbor, that one could rent a ride on his balloon for a  tiny
fortune. A champagne toast to celebrate, and a silent view of the  countryside.

One Saturday afternoon in June,  we watched as the balloon rose softly  into
the sky. A bride and groom had ventured to buy each other an adventure, a
wedding gift of a peaceful float over their farm and all the other farms in the
area.  It was a second marriage, widow to widower, touchingly joining for
companionship in their golden years.

There was not much wind, so the balloon tended to hover more than travel,
and when their time was up, the pilot started to look to our gentle pasture
behind the barn as a landing spot. As the balloon descended, we went out to meet
it. Perhaps the groom was anxious to be back on the earth, perhaps the breeze
 was a bit fretful and that spot in the pasture a bit bumpy. Whatever was the
 reason, when the balloon touched down, the basket bumped, as they sometimes
will, slightly tipping. The groom, ready to off-load, leaned out. The basket
dragged over rough tufts of grass and the ancient groom rolled out.  The
balloon, freed of his weight, bounded upward, caught a stray gust, and leaped
skyward.

Like the poem says, "I heard him exclaim as they flew out of sight . . .  "
"Come back, Eloise!"

We took the groom, his tuxedo only a little grass-stained, back to the  house
for refreshment and rest. In a little while, the "chase vehicle" came up  the
driveway with the bride and the red-faced pilot.

We served them a little cheese and crackers and iced tea while they
recounted their flight  and tumble, non the worse for their  adventure.

I hope the rest of our life together is as exciting," we heard the groom  say
as they left.