TheBanyanTree: Life Stories 142

Tobie Shapiro tobie at shpilchas.net
Mon Feb 5 08:31:16 PST 2007

February 5, 20000000000000000000000000000000000000000000007

Dear Menschen,

	Every day, my mother rises about a couple
of hours after I do.  She comes in to the room
where I am working and starts talking.  I'm in
mid sentence in some editing task, and I have to
shut her out so I can finish the sentence.  What
is the first question of the day?  Go on.  Guess.
How are you?  Did you sleep well?  What are you
doing?   No.  The first question of the day is,
"What shall we plan for dinner?"

	I just can't rustle up the enthusiasm for
talk about dinner when I haven't even had a cup
of coffee yet.  Yeah, even though it's decaf.
But the question for me is: why does this bother
me so much?  I mean, who cares if that's what she
wants to talk about?  What difference does it
make when you talk about planning dinner?  It has
to be talked about.  We have to coordinate our
efforts, after all.  I feel like an ingrate
begrudging her her first question of the day.  So
I stuff it.  It's my fault.  Besides, there are
more weighty issues to deal with, more emergent
questions, such as: what are we doing for lunch?

                            wwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

                              mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Marriage can be fun

	Dweller and I were lying in bed one
morning.  It was before either of us had moved or
spoken.  No good morning yet.  The day hadn't
officially started.  As far as each of us was
concerned, the other one was still asleep.  So, I
messed with Dweller's head.  I murmured softly,
but clearly:

	"Engine trouble"

	"What?" he reacted

	"What WHAT?" I responded.

	"You said something."

	"No I didn't."

	"You said, 'Engine trouble'"

	"Why would I say, 'Engine trouble'?"

	"You sure you didn't say anything?"

	"I didn't say anything.  I'm just lying here."

	We both sank back into our private
worlds.  A couple of minutes later, I opened my
mouth and muttered:

	"Marine life."

	"MARINE LIFE?!"

	"What marine life?  What're you talking about?"

	These were the little gifts I gave
Dweller, moments of delightful confusion, an off
balance pirouette to decorate the day.

	I had conversations with him that were scripted by me.

	"You don't love me."

	"Yes I do.  You know I do."

	"No you don't."

	"Yes, I do!"

	"No you don't.  You know what you'd do if you really loved me?"

	"No.  What would I do?"

	"See.  You don't really love me.  Because
if you did, you'd know what you'd do."

	Even then, I had no idea what these odd
occasions did for or to him.  He never actually
told me.  He never said, "Stop that!", but he
never said, "Thank you," either.  So I forged
ahead.

	I'd make him a milk shake and put a dozen
straws in it, all sticking up out of the top of
the concoction.  I called him at work, pretending
to be all sorts of strange people: someone with a
thick eastern European accent asking for
directions to Etcheverry Hall, a fund raiser for,
"SAVE THE GNAT", a Mrs. Twinge from Consolidated
Demographics taking a survey about what his
preferences were in states of the union.  "And
how would you rate Iowa?  The best, very good,
good, fair, or unfair?  Does red, blue yellow,
black or white come to your mind when I say,
'Missouri'?"  He'd usually play along.  He knew
who it was.  Still, he never said, "Thank you,"
or, "Cut that out."  So I continued.  Until the
last stages of our marriage when we weren't
really talking to each other.  Then all the joy
dropped out of everything I did, and I retreated
into a shell of silence.

                            wwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

                              mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

On strike

	Allowance was something that caused
fights between my parents.  My mother wanted to
give us cash every week and have us keep track of
it.  My father wanted to keep a record of it in a
book, just add the buck fifty to the ledger and
if we wanted to peek at our money, he could show
us the books.  "See?" he said, "Just like a bank
account."

	The problem with that system was that the
written money was kept entirely separate from
actual money, so that when during the week, we
wanted to buy something one or the other parent
would just fork over the money and not make any
subtraction on the books.  The requests for money
out of pocket had their own life, and we forgot
about the ledger that was keeping track of our
theoretical money.  It piled up over a period of
years until when we asked to see it on the books,
it took our father an hour and a half to get up
to date.  We watched him do it, too, suspecting
that he'd penny and dime us out of our lousy buck
fifty a week.  Dana had the keener eye for these
things, and she rode him hard while he made his
tally.  I stood by, twelve years old and ready to
fight for my rights if I had to.

	It turned out that we had several hundred
dollars saved up.  We were elated.  We put our
heads together to decide what to do with this
money for which we'd sacrificed so hard.  Our
answer was Disneyland.  We went to our parents
and said that this money would get us all into
Disneyland and buy us first class ticket books
for rides.  We would even treat our parents to
their admissions.  But the devil was in the
details and we didn't know to ask to see the
small print.  Besides, everything was oral.
There was no small print.  The only print there
was was of our formidable savings of three
hundred fifty or so dollars.

	We drove down to Disneyland in the family
station wagon.  We stayed at a motel in Sherman
Oaks, close to Pearl, my mother's best friend.
We went to Disneyland, bought our admissions,
bought the top line packages of tickets, the E
tickets, and had a fine time running our parents
ragged while we explored every corner of the
park.  Then we spent the next day with Pearl, her
husband, Meyer and their kids, Kerry and Stuart.
We drove back on the third day.

	A while later, Dana and I realized that
the admission and tickets had cost only fifty
bucks, tops, and we had a lot of money left over
to do something with.  We put our heads together
to figure out how to blow it.  We decided we'd
better take a look at the ledger to see just how
much we had left.  We approached the father.

	"There's nothing left," he said, plainly,
smiling.  "You spent it all at Disneyland."

	"No.  We couldn't possibly have.  It only
cost $5.35 for an E ticket book, and the
admission was only a few dollars.  We had three
hundred fifty dollars!"

	"What have you done with our money?" was what we meant.

	Our father explained that our money had
paid for the gasoline, the motel, the meals,
everything, and from his estimates, we'd used it
all up and then some.

	"But you never said we had to pay for the
gasoline and the motel and the food!  And
besides, we spent a whole day there without going
to Disneyland.  We never said we'd pay for a
whole vacation.  You cheated!"

	He told us this was a lesson he'd
intended to teach us.  "Always pay attention to
the small print.  If you don't you can get
cheated.  That's what the real world is like."
Then he went back to what he was doing with a
satisfied look on his face.

	But Dana and I had a plan.  We asked our
mother for some money and took it down to the
stationery store where we bought poster board,
and the hardware store where we bought two rough
cut, flat sticks made of softwood.  We wrote in
big indelible ink on the posters, "ON STRIKE!
FATHER UNFAIR!"  "ON STRIKE!  FATHER STOLE OUR
MONEY!"  We tacked the boards to the sticks and
went gushing down to the street where we took our
positions in front of the house.  We held up our
signs and marched back and forth from the
opposite ends of the lot, toward each other,
crossing in the middle, away from each other, and
back again, and back again, and back again,
shouting slogans, "Unfair to children!"  "Father
stole our money!"  "Unfair!"  "On strike!"  It
caused a ruckus.  The neighbors got out of their
cars and brought in their groceries pretending
nothing was amiss, but they parted their front
curtains to take a look.

	Finally, our parents came down to the
sidewalk and begged us to stop.  They were old
FDR liberals, Union supporters.  This must have
stung.  We said we'd only stop if our money was
returned to us.  We negotiated.  They bargained
us down to two hundred dollars.  We had asked for
two hundred fifty.

	"But no one kept receipts.  There's no proof," our father said.

	"You were the ones with the receipts.  We
would have paid for it ourselves if you'd handed
us the money.  Why didn't you save the receipts?
So there's no proof we spent anything," we
retorted.  "Maybe we should ask for the whole
three hundred fifty."

	We started marching again.  Cars stopped
and people stared.  One man put his head out of
the window and shouted, "Bad Dad!" probably in
jest, but nevertheless, shaming enough to count
for something.  They agreed to two hundred fifty.
Dana and I put our signs down, shook hands
decisively and went back in for dinner.  Their
treat.

--

Tobie Helene Shapiro
Berkeley, California   USA