TheBanyanTree: Life Stories 141

Tobie Shapiro tobie at shpilchas.net
Sun Feb 4 09:14:41 PST 2007

February 4, 20000007

Dear intimate crowd,

	My nephew and his wife are down here from
Seattle for a few days with their one year old
baby boy, Lumen.  (Yes, Lumen, a measurement of
light).  This is my mother's first great
grandchild and she's wiggy over him.  We all are
actually.  He's my grand nephew, after all.
Dana's grandson, Jaron's nephew, Meyshe's and
Feyna's cousin once removed.  Blood of our blood.
He's awfully cute.  Honest.  Here's the surprise:
he eats whatever they give him.  He likes spicy
food, weird food, vegetables and squid, scrambled
eggs and Ethiopian enjira.  Now, does this mean
that he's going to be a foodie?  Or does it mean
that he has vestigial taste buds and won't be
able to tell the difference between apples and
pears, chicken and beef liver?  I've only seen
him a few times, but I am struck by how relaxed
his parents are about him.  None of this nervous
hovering.  But plenty of too much attention.
That's what babies should get, according to me:
too much attention.  So my sister is throwing
another brunch at her house.  It is meant for a
venue for showing off Lumen.  I love Lumen, but I
don't like brunch.  I'm never hungry for that
kind of food.  So I'll spend that much more time
with the baby.  I'll live.

                     ŸŸŸŸŸŸŸŸŸŸŸŸŸŸŸŸŸŸŸŸŸŸŸŸŸŸŸŸŸŸŸŸŸŸŸŸŸŸŸŸŸŸŸŸŸŸŸŸŸŸŸŸ
                     µµµµµµµµµµµµµµµµµµµµµµµµµµµµµµµµµµµµµµµµµµµµ

Moving

	After the great fire of 1991, in which we
lost everything but what little I could stash in
the car, we moved seven times in three years.  We
kept moving because we couldn't do permanent
until we knew what sort of money we would have to
buy a house, and we didn't know what sort of
money we'd have until the insurance company paid
us what we were due.  And the insurance company
wouldn't pay us what we were due until we'd sued
them right proper.  It took three years to sue
them.

	The first place we moved was to Yvonne's
house in Oakland.  That was the first night and a
week following.  We thought at first that we were
just camping there until we could go back to our
house, but I didn't really think we'd go back
there.  I suspected it was one of the houses that
burned down.  On the day that the city of Oakland
allowed us all to go back into the fire area and
check on our houses, David and I left Feyna and
Meyshe at Yvonne's house with Wyda in charge.
Wyda had been helping us with Feyna and Meyshe
since they were four days old.  She was a
constant, a wise and unflappable presence in our
lives.  Wyda had faith in Jesus and said she'd
pay me fifty bucks if our house had burned down.

	"I'll remember that," I said as we walked out the front door.

	When we returned from our exploration, we
opened the door, I saw Wyda and said immediately,
"You owe me fifty bucks."

	She recoiled in disbelief.  She really
didn't think our house would burn up; it felt
permanent to her.  Jesus had let her down, but
she kept up the faith nevertheless.  Those
deities work in mysterious ways.

	I went to Feyna first, to give her the
news.  She'd anticipated what I had to say, maybe
even had overheard the news.  She hunkered down
and tucked her head between her knees, put her
hands over her ears.  If she couldn't hear it, it
wouldn't have happened, which is a variation on,
"These little yellow boots will fit my two big
feet if I insist they will".  I tried to face
her, but she swiveled away from me.  So I put my
arms around her from behind.  I told her, "Feyna,
you know that Papa and I went back to see if the
house was still there.  It wasn't sweetheart.
Our house burned down.  But Mama and Papa will
take care of you, and we will all be fine.  We
are all alive and well, and that is what's most
important."  She pressed her hands harder over
her ears.  I told her I had to go tell Meyshe.

	Meyshe was standing near the front door.
I approached him and told him that the house was
gone, but we were all together and would be all
right.  He got a bewildered look on his face, and
staggered around for a while.  Then he put his
back up against the front door and slid down to
the floor.

	"White house gone," he whimpered.  "White
house gone.  Build a new white house."

	At Yvonne's house, we slept in the cellar
with the cats and the fleas.  All of us in
sleeping bags on the floor, the twins clinging to
me from either side, David rolled over facing
away from us.  He had his private mourning to
which no one else was invited.  Those first few
days at Yvonne's house are a blur.  There was so
much we had to do to satisfy the city of Oakland,
the county of Alameda, the state of California,
the federal government and the insurance company.
Forms to fill out, documents to file,
bureaucratic lines to stand in, departments at
which to register.  And then we'd return after a
day of busyness to try to focus on the people
around us.  Yvonne, Tom and Yvonne's son, Yuri.
We couldn't stay at Yvonne's house forever.  The
negotiations went on with my parents about
whether we could stay with them until we found a
rental.  It was agreed.  And we moved again, with
our small clump of possessions, into my parents'
house.  Alex and Ben took my brother's old place
in the basement.  They had a whole floor to
themselves, two bedrooms, a full bathroom.  It
was like an apartment.  David and I and the twins
slept in one room.  This was a choice.  There was
another bedroom in which we could have put the
twins, but that would mean that they would be
separated from me during the night, and at other
times during the day.  I didn't want them
unprotected, and unaccompanied with my father in
the house.  So we slept in one room together, the
grown ups on the two single beds crammed
together, even though they kept drifting apart,
the twins on futons, their heads at our feet,
with about a foot of space between the ends of
our beds and their pillows.  But usually, they
piled into bed with us.  Feyna, Mama, Meyshe,
Papa, all in a row.  Feyna and I would play word
games before falling asleep.  In the dark, I'd
say something like, "Goodnight, curtain horse."
And she'd say, "Goodnight, door book."
"Goodnight, cabbage mountain."  "Goodnight, fish
glass".  Then I'd sing to them both, the songs my
grandmother sang to me when I was lying in my bed
ready to close down for the night.

	We stayed in that room in the family
manse from late October until late spring when we
found a house to rent for three months.  Some
lucky family had moved to England for a
sabbatical, and we got to stay in their house.
When we arrived we thought we were relieved, but
then we realized we didn't have towels.  We
didn't have a book.  We had nothing of our own.
We'd been living in borrowed quarters for over
half a year; there was no room for acquiring
possessions.  Now, we were in our own rented
house.  The twins would ask me, "Is this mine?
Does this belong to the landlord?"  "May I touch
this chair?  May I sit on this couch?"  This is
when we bought the trampoline at Costco.
Fourteen feet in diameter and able to accommodate
several hundred pounds of human, the kids jumped
out their frustrations on it.  I bounced on it to
feel the wind in my hair.

	Ben was in high school and edgy with
hormones, bristling with the angry urge to get
the hell out of his parents' house.  He'd
shoulder his way into the upstairs, carrying
secretive bags to his room, roll up a towel and
stuff it in the crack under his door, and still
the unmistakable blossoming of marijuana smoke
would curl out of the key hole, or through the
door itself.  He was so serious about it, but it
was kind of comical.  He was hiding his stoning
from a baby boomer and a man who had smoked
plenty of grass with his mother.

	In this house, we stayed for three
months.  And during those three months, I looked
for the next place to stay.  I reproduced an old
photograph of the house we lost and added text to
it, made a flyer that I tacked up all over town.

	"This is the house we lost on October 20,
1991.  Help us find a new place to live.  Two
grown ups, four children and one matronly
neutered calico cat seek rental in Berkeley.
Please contact . . . "

	We got no response from it.  But I did
find a huge house for rent, cheap because the
house was situated at the intersection of Hayward
Fault Line and Slide Area.  It was a boat of a
house, grand architecture, eight bedrooms, three
floors, but you could see three inches of dead
space between the stairs and the wall, just from
earthquake activity, and slippage.  In the big
one, this house would roll down the hill and
break apart like crackers in soup.  But for the
one year we'd be there, it was just a calculated
risk we chose to take.  It wouldn't be available
until a month after we had to move out of the
trampoline house.  So it was back to my parents'
house again.  After the month was up, we gathered
our growing collection of boxes and moved to the
mansion on the Hayward Fault.  We lived on the
crack in the earth for a year, and the lawsuit
was heating up.  We were going have to move back
in with my parents until the end of the lawsuit,
and the purchase of a house.

	I was sitting in the study of the fault
line mansion where I wrote and worked.  On the
wall was a copy of the flyer we'd tacked up
around town.  Every once in a while, I'd gaze at
it, and a tear would shed.  All the moving back
and forth, all the uncertainty.  How much longer
would the insurance company be lying and cheating
and stealing and harassing us?  When would we be
able to look for a house to buy?

	As I was bent over my writing, Feyna came
in.  She was wearing her purple dress.  She
started talking to me about what to bring to show
and tell, when she caught sight of the flyer
hanging on the wall.  She stopped in mid
sentence, looked up at the photograph.  There was
a longing in her voice.

	"I loved that old house of ours."

	"Why don't you take that picture with you to school for show and tell?"

	"That's right," she said excitedly.
"They don't know that house.  They all think we
live HERE."

--

Tobie Helene Shapiro
Berkeley, California   USA