TheBanyanTree: Life Stories 143

Tobie Shapiro tobie at shpilchas.net
Tue Feb 6 07:46:09 PST 2007

February 6, 200000007

Dear Lords and Ladies,

	I keep having all these dreams where I
misplace my shoes, or they are stolen, or turn
out to be too small or someone else's shoes.  In
this last dream, we were all seated in someone's
apartment.  They were college students.  We were
listening to a performance that started out as a
poetry reading and progressed to a concert with a
band and various singers.  The first singer was a
woman that had been sitting between me and
another woman, a friend of mine.  For some reason
she was furious at my friend.  As furious as if
there had been a major betrayal, but I knew that
couldn't be the case.  When she sang, she
directed her singing to my friend, insulted her,
whined and finally tore a book she had with her
on stage, and threw it at her forcefully.  Part
of the book hit me, and she rushed over to assure
me that she meant me no ill.  She wasn't mad at
me.  Me, she liked.  It was this other person.
And was I all right about it.  I told her that
she was hurting a friend of mine, so I wasn't all
right about it.

	Then another act came on, and I got up to
go, but my shoes weren't there, I grabbed all my
writing, my journal, my cello, and a couple of
bags of miscellaneous travelling supplies and
made it out to the street where there were
familiar faces.  I said I had to take the bus
back to Berkeley, but I had no shoes.  I imagined
getting on the train unshod, and thought I'd
probably cut myself or get disgustingly,
infectiously dirty, but I would probably have to
manage it.  How was I going to carry all this
stuff?  One of the familiar faces, a young man,
offered to give me a ride in his car.  And for
some reason, I resisted.  I resisted while
telling myself, "TAKE HIM UP ON HIS OFFER!"
Unfortunately, I never found my shoes, just
someone else's shoes that didn't fit, and
belonged to someone else so I couldn't have worn
them even if they had fit.  There, where my left
foot had been was a stump, and at the end of it
was a blob of blood the consistency of congealed
gravy.  I took no big notice of the fact that I
no longer had a foot, although that reduced my
hunt for shoes by a half.  And then my alarm rang.

	What did that mean?  I asked myself as I
shook the night out of my head.

iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
                                  ‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡

Mike Gold

	My father played chamber music, on
occasion, with a splendid pianist, Anna Gold.
Anna Gold was the sister of Zara Nelsova, a
flamboyant concert cellist, whose real name was
Sarah Nelson.  They had lived in London during
the blitz, in an apartment with only one room to
practice in.  So they learned to practice at the
same time, Sarah, the cellist, facing one corner,
and Anna, the pianist, facing the opposite
corner.  How did they do that, and while the
blitz was going on?  They did it, because they
had to.  Because there was no other way to do it.
You learn to tune out what is going on around
you, and concentrate only on the notes emitting
from your own intentions.

	One of the evenings that Anna Gold came
over, she brought her eldest son, Mike, who was
twenty two at the time.  I was sixteen and I
suppose I was ripe for plucking, because,
according to what Mike told me later, he'd come
because he heard the Shapiros had a sixteen year
old daughter who was a cellist.  He came and met
me, then went home that night, broke up with his
girlfriend of three years and dedicated himself
to me.  His devotion was frightening.  He swore
off all other women, called me constantly,
accompanied me whenever he could, wherever I was
going, and promised to remain a virgin until we
could share our first experience together.  Of
course, this dedication was flattering, but that
didn't, in and of itself, make me fall in love
with him, as he professed he was in love with me.

	I thought of Mike Gold as the guy that by
all rights should get the girl.  I rooted for
him.  I wanted to fall in love with him, but it
just wasn't happening.  Mike was a good person, a
good clarinettist, a help to his mother, a kind
older brother to Dan Gold, an outdoorsman, a hard
worker.  He was working his way through school at
Humboldt State up in the park lands in northern
California.  He would work as a surveyor for the
city of Berkeley for a year, then go to school
for a year.  He was aiming to be a forest ranger,
a lonesome job.  I pictured him off in the woods,
in a small house on stilts, his perch above the
trees, a widow's walk around a little cupola on
top of the station.  From there, he'd watch out
over the forests looking for any signs of
distress or fire.  And when the sun was about to
set, the luminescence reaching up from the
horizon, he'd take out his clarinet and play a
doleful melody, something haunting in a minor
key.  The animals would all wait for this moment
in their days.  The birds would listen to someone
else sing for a change.  The bears would stop
pawing something to death.  The deer and elk, the
foxes and wolves, whatever animals peopled the
woods would stop to listen.  And the haunting
music would go on for fifteen minutes, until the
stars were appearing and the sun had set.  That
is how I thought of Mike.  I wanted to love that.

	Our lives would be essential.  We would
be living out in the wilds, alone together for
months on end, making our own soap and devising
our own central heating.  I would bake all the
bread.  We'd grind the flour, pine nut flour,
acorn flour.  We'd figure it out.  I would be the
crazy wife, making artwork, playing cello and
clarinet duets that I'd composed for the forest
ranger and me, writing literary masterpieces that
would never be discovered, decorating the trees
with paintings.  Wouldn't this abstract go well
on this redwood?  We'd have endless children and
they would grow up being home schooled by us,
learning to climb trees and to take naps on the
canopy above the floor of the forest.  That is
where my fantasy always faltered and then struck
a wall.  I couldn't have endless children.  I
didn't want children.  Then, what about Mike's
desire to keep me barefoot and pregnant?  Tobie
with ten kids.  This wasn't a detail.  But all
that was important at the time was that there was
a man who loved me, worshipped me, was willing to
live for me.  That was hard for me to turn down.

	At the time we were doing our odd
courtship, the Vietnam war was going on, and Mike
wound up as a medic on the front lines.  From
that steamy, tragic country, he wrote to me
nearly every day, from the middle of the
fighting.  Almost every day, I would receive an
air mail letter, thin, nearly weightless blue
paper on which was his symmetrical handwriting,
tilted to the right a bit, legible and clear.
He'd tell me about the catastrophes, the carnage,
the hopes for coming home.  About a year in, he
told me he was scheduled to get R & R in Hawaii
for a couple of days; would I meet him there?  It
would mean so much to him.  And I was in school
and couldn't.  But I wouldn't have gone even if I
could.  Even though I was rooting for him, I
couldn't envision myself with him, not really.
The couple in the forest were fantasies,
fantasies of how I could resign from my consuming
quest for leaving my mark, instead of banging my
head on the wall for fame and fortune, excellence
and the reputation of a genius.  I would strip my
seamy ambitions bare, and step happily into
anonymity, live without, do without.  I would
find bliss in the scrubbing of floors, the
weeding of a garden, the attentions paid to my
husband of a hundred years.  We would argue as
frequently as trees, rebel against the flow of
time as ardently as the sun against setting.

	And if I would meet Mike Gold in Hawaii,
I would have to sleep in the same room with him.
Probably in the same bed.  I couldn't say no to
him, and I wouldn't say yes.  So we didn't meet
in Hawaii, and he kept writing.

	Finally, he reappeared in the United
States, came home to Berkeley, lived with his
mother.  He arrived after his celebrated trip to
lively Vietnam and brought himself to our living
room.  Vietnam had changed him.  He had served
his country scraping up the dead from the muck on
the earth.  He was somber, cynical.  He had lost
all of his innocence and then some.  His love was
dry, juiceless.  I no longer knew what to do with
him.  I felt sorry for him, missed his former
ebullience, but I couldn't find Mike in all the
new confusion of bitterness.  If I had reached
for him then, I would not have found him.  He was
gone.  I still long to long for him.  What never
was.

--

Tobie Helene Shapiro
Berkeley, California   USA