TheBanyanTree: Ouch

Laura wolfljsh at gmail.com
Mon Dec 17 07:58:30 PST 2007

On 17 Dec 2007 NancyIee at aol.com wrote:

> I learned how to correctly fall from a horse, tuck everything in and roll
> with the momentum.  I try to use that same method when walking/falling
> over  my own feet.  Trying to catch yourself with outstretched hands only
> ends up  with broken wrists.

I think that's why only one side of me is sore.  (and only sore - nothing
broken, only a slight bruising of the skin on my foot and knee)  I also
learned the truck and roll when riding, and it was very useful, and
reinforced, when doing martial arts.  However, when your foot is stuck in
the fence, tuck and roll just pulls the muscles in your leg, because you can't
roll unless the fence (or your foot) breaks!

With feet this big, I'm constantly falling up or down stairs, because my feet
are three inches longer than the steps.  I trip over raised cracks in the
sidewalk, rocks and tree roots on the ground, and furballs on the carpet.

If I would wear shoes I could probably prevent many of these falls.  I'm sure
if I'd had shoes on, I wouldn't have fallen Friday night.  I would have kicked
the gate and gone right on over it.  Instead, I tangled up my toes.  But I'd
rather fall than wear the stupid shoes.

--
Laura
wolfljsh at gmail.com