TheBanyanTree: Ouch

NancyIee at aol.com NancyIee at aol.com
Mon Dec 17 06:34:45 PST 2007

In a message dated 12/17/2007 8:14:39 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
jateague at indiana.edu writes:

No name  calling!  (That even counts towards ourselves)  Ah, don't be
hard on yourself--we all do these crazy things, being gangly upright
humans.  Glad you didn't break anything.  This is why calcium  and
weight-bearing exercise is so important at our age--we probably won't
stop falling down, so we'd better keep our bones strong!   ;)

Julie

The dynamics of an action as common as walking, is nothing more than
standing on one foot, and letting your body fall forward, to be 'caught' on the
other foot. Every time we walk, we are falling.  If something like a crack  in the
sidewalk or romping puppy gets in the way, the balance is threatened, and  if
we don't catch it in time, we fall.

I learned how to correctly fall from a horse, tuck everything in and roll
with the momentum.  I try to use that same method when walking/falling over  my
own feet.  Trying to catch yourself with outstretched hands only ends up  with
broken wrists.  (that's why roller bladers should wear the wrist  guards, to
keep from snapping one's wrists when trying to brace the fall with  hands.)
My niece learned that the hard way.

I still fall and get banged up.  Usually from carrying an off-balanced  load
up stairs or something equally dumb.

NancyLee