TheBanyanTree: Irresponsible Dog Owners

Sharon Mack smack58 at nycap.rr.com
Sat Aug 25 11:32:12 PDT 2007

When I heard a coach say he would consider letting Vicks play ball again I
almost choked on my supper.  He said the man made a "mistake".  What he did
was NOT a mistake!  It was cruel and deliberate, for his sick pleasure and
enjoyment but most of all PROFIT!!!  Just like the dog races, it's
abominable to me.

I have a 13 year old Pug I know will be in heaven soon so we make sure we do
lots of snuggling and hugging...and a Pom who will live out the rest of his
life with me, too, for several years past the time of Puggies demise.  These
two came from abusive situations that just made me sick.  These tiny dogs
were kicked, beaten and neglected.  For years they were afraid of feet (they
skulked the moment you crossed your legs or made a sudden move) and brooms
and wooden spoons.

The Pom (who is a standard size, not a toy) had so many fractures and cracks
on his skull they weren't even sure he would be able to learn properly.  But
God was good, and he healed and he learns--a bit slow--but with patience and
love, he learns.

Both dogs had alpha tendencies when I brought them into my home.  They
learned them (I believe) as defense mechanisms, but once adopted, I took
over and made it clear who was alpha dog--ME!  I took a lot of wisdom from
our vet and their 'on-staff' animal psychologists as well as Caesar Milan
and I have enjoyed ten years with these lovely animals.  They are my joy and
my love and my life now that my children are grown.

I watch these sweethearts with my grandchildren and from every age, these
dogs were gentle and sweet, with no incidents of nipping or biting.  Heh,
when my granddaughter was 4, she actually laid on the floor with Pugs under
her arm and her head resting on Fru (the Pom) and slept.  What a photo op!

I have a friend who rescued two young pitbulls, Pearl (all white-albino) and
Chico.  He and his wife did what I did, working closely with their vet, etc.
and those dogs (he has had them 12 years) are just as sweet and lovely as my
two little guys.  Chico is still a puppy in his ways and keeps us laughing.
They love children and at picnics you can find Chico right in the midst of
them, catching the birdie or the ball and making the kids run for it.  When
they catch up (cause he lets them), they take it right from his mouth and he
bounds over to the game for another round.

We have domesticated these animals and it is our responsibility to keep them
civil.  Sadly, for various reasons, it sometimes is not possible and so,
you're right--they MUST be put down.  And even more sadly the reasons are
usually bad people misusing and mistraining them.  Shame, shame, double
shame!

Sharon