TheBanyanTree: Irresponsible Dog Owners

NancyIee at aol.com NancyIee at aol.com
Sat Aug 25 18:09:47 PDT 2007

I have had dogs all my life, bred and trained them, showed them, helped 4-H
kids train and show their dogs in the dog program, and all my life I have
rescued the "unwanted" ones.  Most recently I am undergoing training to  become a
trainer in one of a pet supermarket stores.  In that way, perhaps  I can help
people train their dogs and help them to become good citizens and  keep them
out of the pounds, or being dumped because of some behavior the humans  did
not know how to address.

There was a fighting dog bunch in northern Minnesota, years ago, who were
raided, and several dogs were taken into custody.  Most had to be put down,
since they were too badly ripped apart, or had been fought so many times they
could not be redeemed.  I have known many dogs over the decades, of those
breeds some folks fear. Rotweilers, Dobes, pit bulls, and other "bully" dogs,  and
I agree; the problem is not with the dogs, but those who own them, and think
having a macho-vicious dog makes him more of a man.  In truth, most dogs of
those breeds can be good, trusting, companions. Kindness begets kindness.
Cruelty begets meaness. If one only takes the time to work with the dog to make
him  a welcome family member, much like teaching a child kindness and
gentleness, the mean dog problem would greatly be aleviated.

Mean people make mean dogs.

Having fighting dogs must make Vick more of a man, for not only having and
fighting these dogs, but being able to bash them to death.  What a man! I
think an apt punishment would be to put him in a room with a few of his  victims.

I now own too many dogs, most of them throwaways.  Even when I am  alone,
with no human company, I have these loving, funny, quirky, sweet souls to  amuse,
delight, and love me, even on bad hair days, or when I am lazy and  slothful.
They are my fireflies on my darkest nights. They are my sunshine on  the
rainiest of days.

NancyLee